Author Topic: Action approximations  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
Action approximations
« on: March 24, 2015, 11:23:55 AM »
I have a player who is wanting to tackle opponents. Simple tackles, nothing fancy, just get them to the ground.
What would you use, and how?

Please feel free to post to this thread if you have the same type of question, no need for tons of small similar threads.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Action approximations
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
Wrestling or Brawling.  Page 227 of the RMSS Rule Book has a table that is appropriate using Unbalancing crits.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:38:56 PM »
What about using the RMC skill list? I'm using ERA for character creation/management, and all it has is Martial Arts, not Wrestling nor Brawling. I added a few skills I felt the list lacked, but not those.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 03:46:03 PM »
I would use the Grapple table in RMC Arms Law pgs 88/96.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 03:53:24 PM »
I would use the Grapple table in RMC Arms Law pgs 88/96.

As would I for something like that.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 07:17:08 AM »
Okay, thanks!
What I'll do is use the Grapple table and use ST/AG/ST as stat bonus. Since there's no undeveloped skill penalty, I'll multiply the target's base QU DB by their pace.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 08:46:26 AM »
If limiting skills is an objective, I would use the Martial Art skill.  At most I would apply a -20 penalty for substituting grapple over ma strikes or sweeps.  No penalty seems fine too, especially if there is a MA Strikes and a MA Sweeps skill.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 11:44:57 AM »
Okay, thanks!
What I'll do is use the Grapple table and use ST/AG/ST as stat bonus. Since there's no undeveloped skill penalty, I'll multiply the target's base QU DB by their pace.

Under the MA skills description it says "The skills are further classified according to “type” as being “striking” (Karate-like MA, including boxing) or “sweeps & throws” (Judo-like MA, including wrestling)." (Character Law pg 90)

I would be inclined to use AG/AG/ST as the stat as that is the stat for MA sweeps and throws but of course the choice is yours.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 01:08:29 PM »
I would be inclined to use AG/AG/ST as the stat as that is the stat for MA sweeps and throws but of course the choice is yours.
Ah, good point. Though I do see the bluntness of running into someone as being ST-heavy. I think I'll amend it to ST/AG alone.

Quote from: yammahoper
If limiting skills is an objective, I would use the Martial Art skill.  At most I would apply a -20 penalty for substituting grapple over ma strikes or sweeps.  No penalty seems fine too, especially if there is a MA Strikes and a MA Sweeps skill.
Well, I'm not trying to hammer the player, but I do not want to lessen the reality of choosing not to develop particular skills. I am just waiting till I can take a look at the attack tables for Grapple and the MA's and see if it would be punishing if I docked him -25, or if it would be over-powered not too.
Thanks guys!

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 11:06:32 AM »
There are lots of options available and many were mentioned.  Without repeating too much, I hope.

There is a Wrestling Skill that can be purchased.  I think it's in Arms Companion and I believe it is ST/ST/AG, or ST/AG, I have to look that up.

MA Sweeps and Throws includes the "ground fighting styles" (Judo, Aikido, Wrestling)  vs. the kicking striking styles (Kenpo Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai).  Martial Arts doesn't mean "from Asian lands where people eat with chopsticks and have shaved heads", it's a studied style of martial combat, including the wrestling styles; American Indian, Olympic, Greco/Roman etc.

For a simple "bull rush" type tackle, there is the Ram/Butt/Bash/Knockdown table from the core rules.

Brawling attack table is an option, but is very weak and as defined, I believe is "improvised weapons", beer bottle, chair leg, rock from the ground, pouch of gold, etc. so that may not apply for what your PC wants to do.

If the goal of the PC is to just "send the target to the ground", the Unbalancing Crit table, or Krush table (for a fall to the ground).

If the goal is to "take the target to the ground to immobilize" then the Grappling table is excellent.  If available, there is also the Stun Crit Table and the Sparring table.  The latter items are dependent upon how many additional RM Companions you purchased as there are quite a few.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!