Author Topic: Generic Cyberspace  (Read 3041 times)

Offline johnkzin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Generic Cyberspace
« on: April 24, 2013, 02:32:15 PM »

What I'd dearly love to see is:

A generic/setting-less version of Cyberspace.  Something you could apply to any genere, whether it's space-opera, cyberpunk, post-apocalypse, fantasy, pulp-adventure, horror, etc.  It doesn't seem like it should be too hard to remove certain hooks from Cyberspace, and add a few other things in.  And, in the same way that Cyberspace has hooks for using it with more advanced things from SpaceMaster (using CS as a sort of SM-Lite), it should have similar hooks for borrowing from RoleMaster.

(and, before anyone says HARP ... I don't think HARP is as light and flexible as Cyberspace; HARP is _lighter_ than Rolemaster, but also goes in a different direction for several things ... whereas Cyberspace is much closer to being a LITE version of RM/SM)

Offline wilcoxon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Generic Cyberspace
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 06:45:54 PM »
From what I remember (it's been a while since I read Cyberspace), it is fairly generic.  It should be pretty easy to strip out any setting hooks and just leave the mechanics.  The mechanics are definitely mostly separate from the setting (Cyber Hero was Cyberspace redone using Hero System and it really felt like just a mechanics plugin).

Offline johnkzin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 01:41:37 AM »
Yeah, I meant it'd be nice to see it as a product :-)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 04:52:55 AM »
Yeah, I meant it'd be nice to see it as a product :-)
Oh gosh. I think many things would be nice products. (Not saying they would sell well, just that I would like to see them.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »
I'd like this as well maybe once SMU is released (when ever that happens). But as wilcoxon stated it should be easy to do it for your own personal use. If some one had the time & tech ability they could do it & bring it to ICE. Then maybe something could be worked out. I won't buy or use HARP or HARPSF (not because it's bad in anyway... I'm just partial to SM2/RM2 & Cyberspace) as I have the rule I prefer already.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »
well, having used SM and CS extensively in my own worlds and settings... I really don't think it takes much to adapt them to what ever it is that you're to throw your players into.
I've always like the ICE systems because of the flexibility and ease of adapting it to what ever.
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland