Author Topic: Ghost In The Shell & Cyberspace?  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Ghost In The Shell & Cyberspace?
« on: July 06, 2018, 10:00:39 PM »
I recently got my hands on the GITS OGL D20 Rulebook (version 1.5).  Being a huge GITS fan, it occured to me that one might be able to adapt the GITS Setting to Cyberspace or even SM2 rules.  Has anyone ever thought/tried this?  If so, care to share with the community?  If not, want to share ideas with the community on how the GITS Setting could be adapted?

Nightblade ->--

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Ghost In The Shell & Cyberspace?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 04:11:51 PM »
Not sure if any of this will help.

It's been maybe 20 years since I saw GITS, but I have run games using concepts from Bubblegum Crisis, and Blade Runner with  Spacemaster 2. Basically I used existing stats for powered suits, vehicles, and androids, but descriptions changed to suit a more gritty Cyberpunk setting. I had no reservations about raiding Cyberpunk 2020 for conceptual ideas either. There is an old trick with monster design that involves just taking stats from one monster and giving it an entirely new description. The players will have no idea the tentacled horror they are fighting in a desert cave has the same exact stats as a giant squid if the description is totally different.

I've also taken character concepts from 20th century film settings, and used them in future settings. A Humphrey Bogart detective character works across time and space as long as the setting and characters are dark and gritty.

In my case though what I needed were setting concepts, and equipment descriptions, to be used at a tech level equivalent to Spacemaster's Imperium / Traveller's Third Imperium. With GITS I think you are looking at adapting to Cyberspace (late 21st century) and not Spacemaster 2 or Privateers (far future) if you want to run games in the GITS setting. You can always rename professions and other elements to match.

Alternatively you can take setting concepts & characters from GITS and adapt them to far future games using Spacemaster 2 or Privateers.

Traveller's AD 2300 probably adapts better to some Cyberpunk anime like Bubblegum Crisis than Spacemaster, but Spacemaster 2 adapts better to sci-fi anime from the 80s and 90s in general imo. I think you could easily run games in the original Gall Force setting right out of the box using SM2 & Star Strike for example.

If you want to run games in a GITS setting I would say go for it though. Nothing wrong with your idea, it's just going to take work, and probably a lot of playtesting for balance.

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Ghost In The Shell & Cyberspace?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 06:08:13 PM »
Thanks White Wolf.  That's exactly the sort of reply I was looking for.  :)

I'm not thinking of running a GITS-Cyberspace game myself, I was just inspired by stumbling across the D20 GITS RPG book.  I wondered if anyone in the RM community had run a GITS game.  More curiosity on my part then looking for methodology.  I was hoping someone would share their thoughts so if anhyone wants to run a GITS game using a RMesque ruleset, there would be a place to start.  Again, thanks for adding your thoughts.

Nightblade ->--