Author Topic: Rolemaster/Harn Demo with Fantasy Grounds  (Read 6345 times)

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Bloody Bohemian Earspoon Inn
Rolemaster/Harn Demo with Fantasy Grounds
« on: February 12, 2012, 07:25:28 AM »
I am testing the level of interest in a Rolemaster/Harn homebrew game however this would not be play by post but using the Fantasy Grounds Virtual Table Top. I will be using the Rolemaster ruleset (as its my preferred choice) but with Harn stuff ported/converted over. The HarnMaster stuff will be tweaked to Rolemaster as much as possible as needed (HarnMaster stats converted to d100, etc).

I don't have a lot of details yet at this point but just thought I would throw this out there to get some feedback.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rolemaster/Harn Demo with Fantasy Grounds
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 01:29:26 PM »
RM2/C ? or RMSS/FRP?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:38:37 PM »
RM2/C ? or RMSS/FRP?
MDC
Oops forgot to specify that. I am using the RMC Ruleset.

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:45:21 AM »
I know its short notice but I'm working on some stuff for a campaign this morning for a few hours and will have the server up (starting at 9AM GMT-6). If anyone wants to come in for a quick look at the Rolemaster Ruleset you are more than welcome pop in. You will need FGII installed and updated to the latest version [2.8.1] to connect.

FGII Alias is firm idol daring wand

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 10:10:54 AM »
Maybe a link would also help out those who have trouble.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 10:47:24 AM »
For those who may not be familiar with it, getting involved in an online RPG game using the Fantasy Grounds II Virtual Table Top program is relatively easy.

Here are the basic steps:

1) Download & install FG from:

Fantasy Grounds II Installer/Setup File (about 50MB)

2) Watch the player quickstart video to learn the basics of the UI   (ignore the portions that are specific to the D&D 4ed rules):

4E Player Quickstart

3) Launch FG sometime anytime before your 1st actual  designated game night and hit the button "Check for updates" to get the  latest fixes (Note: the un-registered version does not always update  this way but as long as you download the latest version in #1 above you  should have the latest).

4) On the designated game night and time, launch FG and hit "Join Game".  Type whatever  username you want to use and type the alias for the GM's  server in  the host address (this will either be an IP Address or a 4  word combination depending what the GM gives you).

5) Upon connection, everything you need to play will be automatically   downloaded to your machine in a cache file. It could take a few minutes  to download everything,  depending on your connection speed and the  ruleset involved. You will eventually be shown a list  of characters to  pick from. You would either use a character you have created earlier  working one on one with the GM or if you have a full license FG copy you  can select one you have created on your local machine and that has been  approved by the GM. You can also choose a pre-generated character the  GM has created for you if you just wanna play without the pregame  character generation headaches.

All game chat is text based in an incorporated chat screen (see  previously posted screenshot) however some GM's do play using text chat  combined with a voice chat program like Skype. I prefer text only to  avoid confusion since we are not really face to face and I would never  figure out who the heck is speaking based on hearing their voice.  Plus, FG generates a text file on the GM's machine of everything entered into the chat screen to be used for AAR's an such.

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 11:16:07 AM »
Since it was short notice I will be doing this again tomorrow, Wednesday Feb 15th at 8PM [GMT-6]

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 11:37:56 AM »
That's great. It really spells out what people are expected to do.

BTW, I forgot that you have a FG graphic as your sig. ;D

Thanks
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 03:18:27 AM »
Figured I would bump this thread as I am going to be running another One Shot/Demo on Saturday, March 17th at 9AM [GMT-5].

See post # for more details. ;-)

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 03:59:29 AM »
See post #6 for connection details.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 09:30:11 PM »
Darn, would love to see it again, but real life interferes.  Have a glorious time

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 05:15:55 AM »
On Saint Pat's day? I hope you have green beer for the trial or maybe e-green beer. ;D
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 05:44:32 AM »
Darn, would love to see it again, but real life interferes.  Have a glorious time
I know people are spread across all times zones around here and we all have different work/school/life schedules so I will probably be offering this demo thingy up more often at different days/times to see what generates the most access.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 09:35:38 AM »
Gunnar, I'm interested as I'd love to give Fantasy Grounds a try using the Rolemaster rules set to see how it works and so forth.  Also I may be able to get a couple of others on-board if you are willing to do so again in the future (wish I would have seen this post earlier as I could have been available yesterday, but didn't know you were looking to do this until Nicholas pointed me towards your post about 5 hours ago).  So please let me know if and when you are willing to give this a try again.
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 03:21:45 PM »
Hi Wolfhound.

The group I was trying to get into the game decided they wanted something less "complex" so they voted to go with OSRIC. They are all new to the PnP RPG scene and the depth of RM was really confusing them and that was with pre-gens. They voted to continue on as a group but only using a different system. I figured OSRIC was a good choice to "train them up". ;-)

People familiar with the system would probably be a lot less intimidated. I would really like to run an RMC based game but may have to find another day to do it.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
Oh man, I was really looking forward to hopefully getting to try Fantasy Grounds with RM prior to purchasing it.  I've been extremely impressed with what I've seen of it so far (its functionality and capabilities look amazing as compared to anything similar that I've seen in the past).  As I'd really like to give it a try just so I can see how it works and then possibly purchase it myself to GM my own games in my Channel Cities/WoA setting (as I'm having a difficult time getting anything of a table-top game organized locally due to difficulty finding players, even though I know a lot who live elsewhere).   

Do you think it might have helped if you had a couple of participants who are familiar with RM to help explain how the system works?  As while the character sheet can appear a bit intimidating at first if you aren't used to Rolemaster it really isn't that complicated of a system.  Since it uses a single action resolution system for everything (admittedly combat and magic have a little more to them but it is still essentially the same process: roll d%, add and subtract adjustments and see the results (from a table for combat/magic, or based on how far over or under 100 the results are) unlike so many other systems.  Guess stating that is kind of pointless since you are obviously familiar with it and sound like you would actually prefer to use it. 

If nothing else, would you be willing to allow me to sit in on a session or two using the other system you mentioned (reading a description it sounds like it is essentially similar to first edition d&d)? Then if you want help with prodding, I'd be more than happy to point out how RM is better and more flexible every chance I get just to try to sway the other players back to giving RM a try again (that would likely just be disruptive to the game so I wouldn't do so if you don't want me to). 
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 02:34:24 AM »
@Wolfhound  - Sorry to disappoint. If you have a few people interested I can certainly try to work out a day or 2 for a demo or even just you  as I have 4 fleshed out pregens) so you can evaluate it for yourself. Not sure I could do a regular weekly or bi-weekly game as most of my free time is now tied up but I'm certainly willing to entertain any thoughts you may have on arranging something.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 06:41:53 AM »
Thanks for the offer to run a session.  I'll talk to some people and see if I can get a couple of people pulled together for a single game. 

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 09:54:39 AM »
Sounds good. All my stuff as GM has been heavily homebrewed so I may need to bone up on my stock RMC rule stuff. Either way the main thing would be focusing on connecting and getting familiar with the ruleset layout and how things work such as what parts are clickable for rolling skill checks and things like that. Probably good to go over the Combat Tracker (the crown jewel of the ruleset IMHO).

Just keep me updated in this thread and we can go from there.   ;)

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 08:45:01 PM »
Sounds good.  I'll try to pull a few people together.  Are there particular times of day and days of the week that you are likely to be available (just so that I can try to coordinate with the other potential players and let you know when it looks like we might be able to pull this off)?