Author Topic: Where will you buy your Rolemaster?  (Read 68077 times)

Offline Tim Honeysett

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Where will you buy your Rolemaster?
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2017, 08:58:58 AM »
Printed copies are great, it would be nice to see them on sale again in high street stores rather than over priced rarities on ebay of amazon.  PDFs are also good but its the intangible sense of wonder from leafing through a new book that I miss.

Offline area51games

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • GOT DICE?
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »
MADNESS COMICS IN PLANO Texas
3000 Custer Rd #310, Plano, TX 75075
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g56463-d8722376-Reviews-Madness_Games_and_Comics-Plano_Texas.html
Om: We scooted to Madness on a Friday night, “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan was making an appearance! Yes, throughout the year Madness will occasionally have special guests, and tonight we got some pictures and had a few 2x4’s signed by the Hall of Fame wrestler. We also got in a game of Ticket to Ride, a great boardgame! Madness is THE place to go to for all comic and gaming needs, and they have a GREAT sale that starts around Thanksgiving! So happy that Nom, the kids and I were able to head here!

Nom: It was pretty cool to see a retired wrestler and Madness is sometimes the only place you can see folks like this outside of Fan Days at the Convention Center! It’s so fantastic there! Huge selection of games, a staff that is really out of this world in terms of knowledge and friendliness, not to mention they sell snacks, have a huge area for game play, are close to Starbucks, Walmart Market and The Franchise bar and grill. Everything in one location, we can stay and play from the afternoon till they close at midnight!

they have a large collection of role master books there from some ancient archive.
Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."
Mal: "Ain't we just!"

Offline 5th Knight of Xar

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2018, 02:01:05 PM »
I miss the days when Rolemaster & HARP books were standard shelfware in the few shops here in tiny Norway that sell roleplaying books. Physical copies are ranked number one with me.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2018, 08:17:45 AM »
I miss the days when Rolemaster & HARP books were standard shelfware in the few shops here in tiny Norway that sell roleplaying books. Physical copies are ranked number one with me.

I miss those days too.   The only two gaming shops I know of have closed up long ago.  I can't even go to store too browse anything.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2018, 09:46:38 PM »
Probably online, but I really got to have those sweet, sweet physical copies.

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2018, 10:10:51 PM »
Probably online, but I really got to have those sweet, sweet physical copies.

Welcome to the forum!

Nightblade ->--

Offline Mordenkainen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2019, 10:26:15 PM »
Browsing book and game shops pre-, say 2005, is something I really miss too. Some lucky people still have nearby game stores or even second-hand bookstores which carry RPGs, but I'm not one of them. It's an online world and overall I enjoy the abundance of products available.

Offline chook

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2019, 05:37:16 AM »
To be honest I probably won't as I am unsure why there is a need to change from RMFRP.  RM was good and RMSS and RMFRP tuned it into a great system knocking off all the rough edges.  Having looked through the RMU books I am kind of not liking them.

Now, to better answer the question, I will only purchase hardback and properly bound books from a local game store so that I can inspect them before purchase.  Understanding that quality costs, I would be willing to pay up to AUD100 for each book as they will last a lifetime.

The quality of the print on demand books is utterly pitiful and you can tell immediately that they are not using proper bookbinding techniques.  Another member of our group has bought some and I got the chance to have a good look at them.  I also got my aunt who is a trade qualified bookbinder to inspect them and she had nothing good to say about them.  ICE might want to consider this as the low quality has probably damaged the brand.

If properly bound books are not available then, frankly, I will just "find" PDF's.

Offline Slygeek

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2019, 01:02:54 PM »
Hopefully amazon.ca or other Canadian online distributor like 401 Games and Meeplemart.

With the horrible exchange rates, shipping fees, customs fees and now US tariffs, its impossible to buy from the US.

And the FLGS in Ottawa Canada have really bad stock when it comes to anything but D&D and Magic

Offline RevTurkey

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2019, 06:33:07 AM »
Hi. I'd like to see...

A Kickstarter to fund GOOD artwork please.
I'd like to buy properly bound and offset printed books as well so Kickstarter could be a way to ensure that as well...maybe as a stretch goal?
I'd like to see a set of condensed combat tables as well...like in RMFRP for the times when I want a lighter, faster version of the game.

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2019, 10:44:06 PM »
Is there any schedule as to when the new edition might be out? If other games are anything to go by, notably the Traveller T5 edition if you take too long people will move onto something else.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2019, 10:03:42 AM »
Is there any schedule as to when the new edition might be out? If other games are anything to go by, notably the Traveller T5 edition if you take too long people will move onto something else.

The developers have said they are going to aim to get it out this year.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2019, 08:44:33 PM »

The T5 book and rules a lot of issues, so I am not sure that is a valid comparison. It's basically a toolbox, which is cool, but the book had serious organizational problems and lacked any examples to illustrate how all the crazy math worked. If you knew Traveller prior to T5 you could follow it and adapt it, but anyone new to the game would probably have a hard time.

I switched from T5 to Spacemaster for a forum based game that had a bunch of new players after I realized explaining the rules for T5 was going to be a hopeless exercise.

It's not a bad system, but it needed a few more years of development. Marc's updates the pdf text over the last few years helped a lot.

Offline Arac na Rua

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2019, 08:43:28 PM »
I have many RPG systems, and I have had Rolemaster on my shelf since the original first came out. For a system like RMU I would want the physical books and the PDFs. I live in Australia so the prices of books are pretty high. Some online shops can get the books to me cheaper then I can get them in a bricks and mortar store. A PDf is really handy, protects the book and it's easier to carry your system with you and finding the answers when stuck for the rule can be quicker.

looking forward to RMU being released.
Arac

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2019, 07:41:29 AM »
If some sort of crowd funding platform was used I would likely buy through it
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2019, 10:08:22 AM »
Honestly, I'd prefer to buy from the publisher directly, thus giving the publisher all the money (instead of just part of it, with the rest going to some retailer).

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2019, 03:54:44 PM »
My "something else" is that I'm really only interested in playing second edition right now. If RMU ever makes it out of the beta phase I'll buy the main book from my local shop if possible, online if not. Then, if it seems worth it, I'll buy the rest (also from a local shop or online).

Overall I want both a pdf and a hard copy. Physical books are best for reading, while pdfs are preferred for searching.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2019, 07:01:21 AM »
My "something else" is that I'm really only interested in playing second edition right now. If RMU ever makes it out of the beta phase I'll buy the main book from my local shop if possible, online if not.

:worthy:  Ditto!  RM2 for me and if RMU hits print, I'll buy a physical book.  I don't like traveling with my laptop but I enjoy reading on trips.  I read in bed, and a laptop is not great for that either.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2019, 11:50:59 AM »
:worthy:  Ditto!  RM2 for me and if RMU hits print, I'll buy a physical book.  I don't like traveling with my laptop but I enjoy reading on trips.  I read in bed, and a laptop is not great for that either.

I ended up buying a cheap-ish tablet. It wasn't great enough to do anything major like streaming, but it could handle a pdf. I use my laptop while gaming because it can keep multiples open. I use the tablet when reading in bed and I don't own a physical copy.

The layout for the beta books makes them a non-starter for me right now, so I can't really speak to the quality of the system. I could read them, but there's no way I could hand a several hundred page document to a player and say "let's game!"
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2019, 11:55:19 AM »
if there is only the PDF option, I'll rather make my local print shop happy and have them make a fine bound version than use a tablet.