Author Topic: Query: a Shadow World Checklist  (Read 60021 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Query: a Shadow World Checklist
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2016, 10:05:11 AM »
I hate to say it, Mr. Amthor, but there really needs to be a Master Atlas 5th (Ultimate?) Edition that compiles all the info from the previous editions and possibly some new stuff.  I know that probably won't happen until RMU is finalized, but it needs to happen. Please put it on the list.

Thanks,
--Desty

I agree, and higher powers have said that indeed, it will wait for RMU.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline brandivil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2016, 02:30:55 PM »
Thank you for the update, Terry, I appreciate it.

My pleasure. Of course, there are some other modules in that list that are a bit 'out there' which I would not include in my own version of the world, but I don't object to. I suppose if you want to get technical, only the stuff I actually wrote would be considered 'canon' but I have included Quellbourne, and parts of Star Crown in my timeline, and I've included Norek in Jaiman. But books like Magic Isle, Nomads, and Desert Jewel are all kind of take-or-leave. I may have mentioned them peripherally, but if I ever get out to Thuul, things might change.

Back in the old days of ICE (pre 1992), the financial powers wanted to push out as many modules as possible, and other forces wanted SW to be a kind of 'plug-and-play' generic world, which of course I resisted. Hence, we got Underearth Emer, Island of the Oracle and (shudder) Orgillion Horror (which was originally a rejected Call of Cthulhu module!), and many of the others mentioned above. Some better quality than others, whether or not they would fit into the Shadow World as I saw it.

Others, Like Quellbourne and the Tales of the Loremasters, were written embracing the SW background more or less. Sky Giants I was ambivalent about, but now I'm writing a module set in that area, and that is going to kind of rewrite it, so, as they say on Voyager, prepare for temporal incursion...

I don't know if that clarifies things or just muddies the waters more...

This is very useful information for me running long term SW campaigns...I now understand a little more where I shouldn't delve to deeply in SW with the players.  However, I decided on north Thuul already for the start setting of one of them...

Offline starflt

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2016, 02:33:36 AM »
Just for general information, Emer I and II and Haalkitaine (centered on the capital of Rhakhaan in Jaiman) have all been converted from old PageMaker files to InDesign and laid out again. All three have already had major additions and edits done to them, so they are underway. Eidolon (set in NE Emer, but very close to Jaiman), as Nicholas mentioned, is nearly complete. There is also a revision of Norek, a city-state in Jaiman, underway.

OK, so with Eidolon out, Emer I and II revisions in progress, plus work on Wuliris in progress, I'm wondering what the status of Haalkitaine is?  It would be nice to have a PDF version of this available, especially if a revision is going to be a couple more years out in the future (as the other projects seem to have gotten higher priority).

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2016, 03:00:27 AM »
Just for general information, Emer I and II and Haalkitaine (centered on the capital of Rhakhaan in Jaiman) have all been converted from old PageMaker files to InDesign and laid out again. All three have already had major additions and edits done to them, so they are underway. Eidolon (set in NE Emer, but very close to Jaiman), as Nicholas mentioned, is nearly complete. There is also a revision of Norek, a city-state in Jaiman, underway.

OK, so with Eidolon out, Emer I and II revisions in progress, plus work on Wuliris in progress, I'm wondering what the status of Haalkitaine is?  It would be nice to have a PDF version of this available, especially if a revision is going to be a couple more years out in the future (as the other projects seem to have gotten higher priority).

Actually I was just thinking about Haalkitaine the other day. I has been reformatted, and I hadn't planned to do too much to it besides new adventures and new illustrations, so it would be relatively quick to do.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline starflt

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2016, 11:36:00 PM »
Actually I was just thinking about Haalkitaine the other day. I has been reformatted, and I hadn't planned to do too much to it besides new adventures and new illustrations, so it would be relatively quick to do.

Cool, thanks for the update; it's one of few sourcebooks which I have only in hard copy, so it makes it slower to reference during play and is really key when players are running around Rhakhaan.

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2017, 10:24:10 AM »
Hence, we got Underearth Emer, Island of the Oracle and (shudder) Orgillion Horror (which was originally a rejected Call of Cthulhu module!).

And we French were lucky that this was the only shadow world book ever translated and published in France (by Hexagonal) ...
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2017, 09:46:04 AM »
Any chance we are getting a hard bound Vog Mur? It was my first ICE module, which was given to me along with the original Rolemaster books back in the mid 80s.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2018, 07:15:00 AM »
Any chance we are getting a hard bound Vog Mur? It was my first ICE module, which was given to me along with the original Rolemaster books back in the mid 80s.

Vog Mur is too small to do hardbound. The best would be saddle-stitch, and it would have to be completely redone and updated. Much of it appears in Emer II, which will have a new edition hopefully later in 2018.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2018, 11:19:14 AM »

Vog Mur is too small to do hardbound. The best would be saddle-stitch, and it would have to be completely redone and updated. Much of it appears in Emer II, which will have a new edition hopefully later in 2018.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was thinking the original Loremaster books might all be getting a similar treatment to Cloudlords.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2018, 12:00:09 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was thinking the original Loremaster books might all be getting a similar treatment to Cloudlords.

I believe the original Iron Wind is available as  PDF; I doubt it will be updated any time soon for multiple reasons. Shade of the Sinking Plain will not be revisited in any form, because of license and compatibility issues. Vog Mur was originally written by Pete Fenlon and Kurt Fischer as a D&D module proposal in the 70's; it is also available as a scanned PDF, and I think will only be updated/adapted as in Emer II. Those are the four original pre-Shadow World 'Loremaster' books.

Best Wishes,

Terry
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2018, 05:21:04 PM »

I believe the original Iron Wind is available as  PDF; I doubt it will be updated any time soon for multiple reasons. Shade of the Sinking Plain will not be revisited in any form, because of license and compatibility issues. Vog Mur was originally written by Pete Fenlon and Kurt Fischer as a D&D module proposal in the 70's; it is also available as a scanned PDF, and I think will only be updated/adapted as in Emer II. Those are the four original pre-Shadow World 'Loremaster' books.

Best Wishes,

Terry

Well Cloudlords is pretty awesome in and of itself. I didn't even know about 'Shade,' I thought there were only three. I have the other three in their original release form, and the Iron Wind PDF, plus the hardbound cloudlords. I'm going to have to hunt down Shade of the Sinking Plain on Ebay now.   ;D

Thanks for the detailed response.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2018, 11:10:17 PM »

Best Wishes,

Terry

Well Cloudlords is pretty awesome in and of itself. I didn't even know about 'Shade,' I thought there were only three. I have the other three in their original release form, and the Iron Wind PDF, plus the hardbound cloudlords. I'm going to have to hunt down Shade of the Sinking Plain on Ebay now.   ;D

Thanks for the detailed response.

Don't bother re Shade. I don't consider it 'canon,' and it's not really set even in the Loremaster milieu, much less Shadow World.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2018, 05:43:30 PM »
Don't bother re Shade. I don't consider it 'canon,' and it's not really set even in the Loremaster milieu, much less Shadow World.

It's actually more about completing my collection of ICE books. I have all of the original RM/SW/MERP/SM books that I knew of back in the day, but there are a few I don't. I'm also looking to get mint or as near to mint copies off stuff that I used to run games back in the day and is no longer mint as a result. When you have 6 people thumbing through spell law every game night it takes it's toll on the books. The PDF's are great, because I can read them on tablet.

Now the hard copies all stay in protective covers, my precioussss!  ;D

I always do the hard/soft copy + pdf through RPGNow for that reason, and that combo for these releases is really appreciated.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2018, 02:11:23 AM »
Duplicate post, and can't delete it...

Offline Erondor78

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2021, 05:19:46 AM »
would it actually be possible to have timeline dates incorporated into the checklist? for the adventure modules if possible?

just to get a grip on the when and not just the where. :)