Author Topic: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures  (Read 89374 times)

Offline Haxxx5

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »
Nice, Didn't think about it (I'm a fairly new RMGM trying to gather player to play a full campaign).

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2014, 10:20:14 AM »
Some short news regarding the installation, and updated features.

I managed to recover the self-extracting feature of the Windows version, by changing from WinRAR to 7-Zip to create the file.
I've disabled access to the previously mentioned compressed file, and once again the available Windows download is an executable file, which should not be detected as dangerous.

As a reminder, ERA can be obtained from these links, depending on your server choice:
http://goo.gl/NTMqH9 [Windows]
http://goo.gl/cq3wSL [Mac]
http://goo.gl/K7sDN8 [Linux]

Now, about the new/improved features:

During initiative rolling you get to see the current/total characters declaring actions. Also, if the character is preparing a spell, you get to see a reminder with the number of preparation rounds.

When adding a character to the adventure, you get to choose between: 1) a file with an existing character, 2) a blank NPC, 3) copy an existing adventurer as an NPC.
The last one is the important improvement. If you create an NPC on the fly (using the blank NPC option), you can add all details and then "duplicate" it as many times as you want, with all skills, defenses, etc.
More features will be added to this section of ERA in future releases.

You can now develop spells using the individual spell acquisition (RMC Spell Law optional rule 2.2), or you can keep doing this like before and put ranks in the "Learn Portion" skill, then roll and adjust manually the ranks learned in the list. I believe it is easy enough, but let me know if this requires more explanation.

On leveling up, you have now the chance to roll for stat gains, using the official RMC rules.
Also during level up, you can configure the application to allow an extra Development Points for secondary skills. To configure it, find the file named "ERA-Settings.conf" and change the line that says AdditionalDevelopmentPointsForSecondarySkills = 0%
to whatever percentage you want.
In the current version you must always decide on a percentage, future releases might allow a fixed number of extra development points.

Also in the configuration file you will see a new line that says:
";PowerPointsFormula = RMCPowerPointsFormula | PowerPointsEqualToPowerPointDevelopment"
The ";" in the beginning means the line is not read by the server.
If you remove the ";" at the beginning you must specify your desired power points formula, so leave only one of RMCPowerPointsFormula or PowerPointsEqualToPowerPointDevelopment.
As you might guess, the first one will use the character's realm stat and level to determine power points, while the second will require the development of the specified skill as per the optional RMC rule.
You should leave it as you find it if the default of RMCPowerPointsFormula is fine for your group.
Expect more rules customization in future releases.

There are some additional minor improvements here and there, but I will leave you to discover them.

Please download, try this new version and leave your comments!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2014, 12:11:35 PM »
 The improvements sound great and I think it will be a huge help when RMU Beat 2 comes out. ;D
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline wildfire142

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2014, 02:33:12 AM »
Now the datasets for RMC are out, are sets for RMFRP likely in the future?

Offline billybones

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2014, 05:35:20 AM »
I downloaded it but was unable open this on my mac book, is there a pain free way around this?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2014, 06:54:50 AM »
Q: I downloaded it but was unable open this on my mac book, is there a pain free way around this?
A: Just in case, I would need to know which MacOS version you are using, so that I can make sure to reproduce the issue.
Please tell me which steps you took after downloading to install the application. If you could also tell me if your Mac is returning any error message when starting the application, it would be of great help to me.
Thanks!

Q: Now the datasets for RMC are out, are sets for RMFRP likely in the future?
Well... one of my groups is using a heavily modified RMFRP ruleset, which is the one used in many of the tutorial videos, so you could say most of it is already done. I think the greatest challenge would be to allow skill categories to be developed, which is something I've never used. But of course once we iron out any rough edges reported by those using the RMC ruleset, my intention is to proceed with the creation of the one for RMFRP, if there is interest.
Truth to be told, I would prefer to do the RMU ruleset more than anything, but until the second beta is released, I might as well spend my free time developing the RMFRP package.

Offline wildfire142

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2014, 08:37:52 AM »
Thanks for the info, am also waiting for RMU to be finished till then we are still playing RMFRP.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2014, 02:43:01 PM »
Now the datasets for RMC are out, are sets for RMFRP likely in the future?
They are? Where can they be found?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline wildfire142

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2014, 03:51:04 PM »
Drive thru RPG and Rpgnow see the October directors briefing for full details.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »
Hey, check this out!
http://youtu.be/CWhrPHH5gok
joel.lovell made an ERA installation tutorial for Mac.
Thanks!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
Drive thru RPG and Rpgnow see the October directors briefing for full details.
Sweet, I will go and snag them right now!
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Vurkanan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2014, 01:25:23 PM »
Thanks for ERA, I think it's a great tool. I've purchased the Character Law data files today and I had hoped that those ShadowWorld races that can be seen in the tutorial video would be included.
Is there a way to get them?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »
The files for sale are meant to include everything in the basic RMC books.
Since Shadow World is a setting book (alright, a GREAT setting book), I would have to prepare a different file to be offered. I am not even sure if my current contract with ICE allows me to work on Shadow World IP.
But, if a player in your group asks for a particular race, ERA allows that kind of customization, you just need to create the right configuration file.
As I said before, I would rather leave this thread free of the technical details to focus on bugs and features, but you can send me a PM, or maybe we could create a new thread to talk about ERA configuration for advanced users.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »
I would like to see a new thread so everyone can have the info at their finger tips.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Vurkanan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2014, 09:19:26 AM »
I would like to see a new thread […]

here is the new thread

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2014, 09:46:09 AM »
Thanks, I think it will help out others that have the same type of question a lot.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2014, 10:20:01 AM »
Congrats to ERA--It's #3 on the RPG Now "Hot list".   :wave:
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2014, 09:02:07 AM »
I have my first RPGNow Review!
Sadly, it is a 1 star review :(
I deduced from the comment this person left that they were using the Linux version.
After reading it, I checked and indeed found a bug in the server starting sequence.
It has now been corrected, and as always you can get it here:
http://goo.gl/K7sDN8 [Linux]

I will also ask Nicholas to update the file in RPGNow, and maybe this disappointed user can improve its opinion of the application.

Offline Robs

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2014, 02:12:55 PM »
Cool, this time I get to accept the EULA and see a start screen before it exits.

robert@habanero:~/ERA-Linux$ ./ERA-Server

(process:32219): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

robert@habanero:~/ERA-Linux$ echo $?

robert@habanero:~/ERA-Linux$ ps ax | grep -i ERA | grep -v grep
 4002 ?        Sl     0:20 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/panel/wrapper-2.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/panel/plugins/libindicator-plugin.so 7 18874410 indicator Indicator Plugin Provides a panel area for Unity indicators. Indicators allow applications and system services to display their status and interact with the user.

robert@habanero:~/ERA-Linux$ lsof -i :7777

...and it's already gone.

Robert

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2014, 05:02:48 PM »
Once the application is up, and all files are loaded, it should open your browser on the main screen.
If you have not yet done so, an EULA will appear for you to accept. After accepting, a special file is created in the installation directory.
If I understand correctly, after you accepted the server process was terminated, meaning that the browser was still up but did not respond to any of the available options. If that is the case, it might be an issue with the permissions in the directory where ERA was installed, since it requires writing permissions to save the EULA agreement, and then of course characters, adventures, etc.
There is also a requirement for 32 bit libraries to be available in Linux, which do not come by default in some 64 bit systems. In case it helps, I can point you here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23182765/how-to-install-ia32-libs-in-ubuntu-14-04-lts. Some tips there helped me when I was testing it before release.
In all the months of the beta test, an issue like the one you mentioned was never reported. In case the problem persists, please let me know your exact Linux distribution to see if I can manage to set up a similar environment and test it.