Author Topic: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures  (Read 89388 times)

Offline Robs

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2014, 06:27:23 PM »
Ok, my bad, I thought I could close the ERA-Instructions window and would control ERA (including the server part) only through the browser.

I've deleted the 1-star review.

Robert

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »
I give you now the first version of ERA for RMFRP.
http://goo.gl/RHU3xF [Windows]
http://goo.gl/xXrjcu [Linux]
http://goo.gl/PyEuzs [Mac]

With the following restrictions:
- I do not have a playtest group for this ruleset, so I need your help to try it out and let me know about any weird behavior.
- Stat generation is not included yet during character creation. After you create a character you need to load it and manually set the values for temporaries and potentials.
- Adolescence (Culture) development is not included. After you create a character you need to manually assign ranks gained by race and/or culture.
- Weapon and critical tables used are the ones from RMC. I believe there is almost no difference in damage results, but please let me know if I am wrong about this.

As always, all questions/comments/ideas/requests are welcome.

Offline Kulthean

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2014, 12:45:49 AM »
Ok, my bad, I thought I could close the ERA-Instructions window and would control ERA (including the server part) only through the browser.

I've deleted the 1-star review.

Robert

Unfortunately, you can't delete reviews and you also can't change reviews as I just found out when I tried to revise mine on RPGNOW once I watched the videos.  I'm still wishing for actual documentation but the videos help tremendously.  I gave 4 stars but I would love to change it to 5 stars.  I'm sorry.

Wayne

Offline Charles Christopher

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2014, 09:23:40 PM »
I've downloaded the app to my Kindle Fire, but it doesn't show among my apps.  I can find it in the downloads file of my web browser, but cannot get it to install, open, or run.  Quite frankly, I can't get it to even show up on my kindle outside the browser download file.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2014, 10:19:42 PM »
ERA is a server application, that can run in Windows, MacOS and Linux. You need to download the corresponding version, then start it in a desktop/laptop computer.
Once running, you can access the web page it serves from any device in your Wi-Fi network. Bear in mind that some of the modules might require a bigger screen than a Kindle Fire for optimum use.
The only module optimized for mobile devices is the character status, which is specifically designed for the players to check during the adventure. It is recommended that the GM use a laptop with at least 11'' to access the adventuring module.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2014, 12:56:49 PM »
I have my first RPGNow Review!
Sadly, it is a 1 star review :(
I am about to give it a zero star because I cannot figure out how to get the spell law, arms law and expanded character law stuff loaded. You really need a more detailed description of how to do that because the initial program came out months ago and all you say is "In order to install it, this files must be decompressed and its contents copied to the matching directory in the application." Which, I for one, have no idea which folder that is because there are several folders, and I installed that months ago.

Sorry that I am not a computer programmer who knows how to code in his sleep, but I am a layman when it comes to computers (I know enough to get myself into trouble), so I need better instructions - and I am sure I am not the only one.

In my ERA Folder I have the following things:

ERA [folder]
RMC-Adventures [folder]
RMC-Characters [folder]
Server [folder]
ERA-Server [Icon]

Which folder is the "Installation Folder"?
Do I put the zipped file in it then unzip? Or can I have the zip file elsewhere and still unzip it in to that folder?
Should I delete it all (uninstalling ERA from my Control Panel), then redownload everything and try to reinstall it fresh?

PS: I am using Windows.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2014, 02:55:25 PM »
I am sorry the instructions so far have not been clear enough. I have been using the program for so long on my own that sometimes it is difficult to foresee what is obvious and what is not.

First let me give you a more detailed installation guide, and then I will try to guess what is missing in your installation.

The zip files you purchase are compressed folders with a structure that is similar to the basic program.
Let's suppose you have your free server installer (ERA-RMC-Beta.exe) and your spell law purchase (ERA RMC Spell Law.zip) in a folder called Downloads.
The first thing to do is to execute the installer, which will ask for a location. If you use the suggested folder and click "Extract", a folder called ERA will be created inside Downloads.
Then, you will require a decompression program such as WinZip, WinRAR, 7-Zip, etc. These programs will normally allow, if you right click on the spell law purchase, to select an option like "Extract here". That is all you normally need to get it working. If all went well, you should have, for example, the file
"Downloads\ERA\Server\RMC-Configuration\Spells\rmcSpellLaw.spellLists.era".

Now, from the list of folders you mention, I guess that the decompression of the spell law files ended up in your ERA folder inside your ERA folder.
If that is the case, the most straighforward step would be to move the inner ERA folder to the one that contains the outer ERA folder. For example, with Windows Explorer, you could select ERA\ERA, cut it, go back to the folder that contains the installers, and paste it. If that does not work you can always delete the installation and simply follow the steps in the previous paragraph (I'm assuming there are no characters created yet that might need to be saved).

Thanks for raising this issue, and let me know if this guide was more helpful. In that case we could include it in the installation instructions in RPGNow.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2014, 03:09:49 PM »
You might also want to re-post what type of machine the program (server) can go on.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2014, 01:10:45 PM »
Thanks to the feedback received so far, I've made some improvements in the way the installation of the purchased files is handled.
I would like to let you have early access to the new version, before uploading it to RPGNow, to let me know what you think.

http://goo.gl/NTMqH9 [Windows]
http://goo.gl/cq3wSL [Mac]
http://goo.gl/K7sDN8 [Linux]

After the server starts, you are now presented with a dialog where you can choose the purchased files from your computer. They will be installed by the application, with no need to restart nor do any manual copying.

Offline Haxxx5

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2014, 04:39:12 AM »
Is there a way to add skills/races/professions from RM2E source books? or modify the DP system?

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2014, 06:44:15 AM »
Is the character law module compatible with RMSS? I do not own RMC but what little I have seen the two are very similar.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2014, 09:25:26 AM »
Q: Is there a way to add skills/races/professions from RM2E source books?
A: Yes, it is discussed in the advanced customization thread.

Q: Is there a way to modify the DP system?
A: Development points are computed using the official rules in the RMC and RMFRP books. For RMC, there is a setting to choose a percentage of additional points for secondary skills.
You need to find a file named "ERA-Settings.conf", and make sure there is a line that reads:
AdditionalDevelopmentPointsForSecondarySkills = 25%
Or any other percentage you might want.
I have already finished a feature that will also allow you to choose a fixed number of DPs, it will be available in the next version.

Q: Is the character law module compatible with RMSS?
A: I am not entirely sure about the aim of your question. Do you want to combine the ERA for RMFRP demo I published with the RMC files for sale? Or are you thinking about some rule or feature in particular?

Offline wildfire142

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »
Finally had time to download and have a quick play around with the RMFRP version and I like it can see it being very handy when there are full data sets available :)

You could enter the data yourself from what I could see the XML looks fairly straight forward but I have no time to do so :)

Must say have only played around with the character gen bit and nothing else yet.

Offline Soulcleave

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2014, 09:17:11 PM »
Ok, I have confusion...

All I can get is the following message when installing the Beta for RMSS/RMFRP

ERA is running in server mode.
to access the application, launch your browser and go to http://10.0.0.14:7777/ERA

Remember that settings can be changed by editing the ERA-Settings.conf file in the application directory.
By default:
-Adventures are stored in the Adventures directory.
-New characters are stored in the Characters directory.
-After leveling up the characterfile is saved in the Characters directory, along with a summary of the level up process.

Also, to add an avatar to a character, place a file with the character name(without spaces, first letter of each word in capital letters) in the "Server\Resources\Avatars" directory.

and http://10.0.0.14:7777/ERA is just an endlessly loading totally blank web page...

I am using Windows 8.1 (sorry)

um...am I doing something wrong?

Also got the same message when first attempted to install and run the RMC beta
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric "Soulcleave" Gibbons
Yes, it is true.  I am a figment of my Imagination.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2014, 09:35:47 PM »
After starting the server, do 2 small boxes appear on the bottom left of the ERA Server window?
The first should read: "ERA Server is starting, please wait" and the other one "ERA Server is ready".
They should appear and fade after some seconds.
If they do not appear, then something might be blocking access to the installation directory.

Even if they do show up, I would also need to know if you can access "http://localhost:7777/ERA" in your browser.

And just in case, do we have any other Windows 8.1 user of ERA around? It would be nice to be able to compare the scenario with Soulcleave's.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2014, 10:39:55 AM »
The beta testing of ERA for RMFRP continues!
Download the new version using the following links:

http://goo.gl/RHU3xF [Windows]
http://goo.gl/xXrjcu [Linux]
http://goo.gl/PyEuzs [Mac]

New features:
- Assign stats during character creation. The total number of points spent in temporaries is presented. You will also know for each temporary value the roll you should make to determine the potential, and the fixed value that you would get if using the optional rule.

- Option to fix number of DP. If you open the "ERA-Settings.conf" file, you can add a line to override the default RMFRP formula for development points and replace it with a fixed number.
For example:
DevelopmentPointsFormula = 100
will give characters 100 DPs per level, regardless of their stats.

- Introducing the "Rank Bindings"
I don't know about other RM players out there, but for my groups it has been a long standing problem to remember to update skills and defenses that depend on other skills. Some example are Stalking->Hiding, Perception skills and their specializations for elven enhanced senses, some weapon skills, etc. Also some of their defenses depend on the number of ranks in a weapon skill. ERA already handled the basics of Adrenal Defense automatically, but the rules in Combat Companion for example determine that Agile Defense, Adrenal Defense, Defensive Strike, Grappling Block and others depend on the number of ranks in the combat skill.
To help with those situations, you can now determine a "Rank Binding" when editing skills and defenses.
To indicate that the number of ranks in a character skill is determined by the number of ranks in another skill: (1) load the character sheet, (2) click on the edit icon to the left of the skill name, (3) click on the cog icon that is first to the right of the skill, (4) open the Rank Binding field and choose the name of the skill that will determine the number of ranks.
Note that once a skill is configured to work this way, you will not be allowed to change its number of ranks, nor spend DPs on it during level up. You can always choose the first option ("No binding") to restore it to the normal behavior.
To indicate that a defense depends on the number of ranks in a skill: (1) load the character sheet, (2) click on the shield icon to the right of the defensive bonus, (3) click Add/Edit, (4) open the Rank Binding field and choose the name of the skill that will determine the base bonus, (5) enter the multiplier in the Bonus/Ratio field.

Now it's time to try these new features and let me know if there is any further explanation required.
Once we are conformable with the way these new features work, they will also be added to the RMC version. So even if you only play RMC, and have already downloaded ERA at RPGNow, you are welcome to download this RMFRP demo and share your thoughts.

Offline Holdner

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2014, 04:52:10 PM »
Ok, I have confusion...

All I can get is the following message when installing the Beta for RMSS/RMFRP

ERA is running in server mode.
to access the application, launch your browser and go to http://10.0.0.14:7777/ERA

Remember that settings can be changed by editing the ERA-Settings.conf file in the application directory.
By default:
-Adventures are stored in the Adventures directory.
-New characters are stored in the Characters directory.
-After leveling up the characterfile is saved in the Characters directory, along with a summary of the level up process.

Also, to add an avatar to a character, place a file with the character name(without spaces, first letter of each word in capital letters) in the "Server\Resources\Avatars" directory.

and http://10.0.0.14:7777/ERA is just an endlessly loading totally blank web page...

I am using Windows 8.1 (sorry)

um...am I doing something wrong?

Also got the same message when first attempted to install and run the RMC beta
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric "Soulcleave" Gibbons

I'm using windows 8.1 and I have the same problem :'( :'(
but in my case the adress is http://192.168.1.12:7777/ERA

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2014, 02:11:10 PM »
@Holdner
Please let me know your situation as regards the following:
After starting the server, do 2 small boxes appear on the bottom left of the ERA Server window?
The first should read: "ERA Server is starting, please wait" and the other one "ERA Server is ready".
They should appear and fade after some seconds.
If they do not appear, then something might be blocking access to the installation directory.

Even if they do show up, I would also need to know if you can access "http://localhost:7777/ERA" in your browser.
Thanks

Offline Psychman

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
Hi, I have just download this from Drivethrurpg and am having a few problems.

While I can access the new character process and work through it, when that is done and the program takes me to the character sheet, none of the stat values are transferred over, leaving a character sheet with all 10 stats being zero!

A character file has been created, and if I try to load the character directly to the sheet, again all the stats are set at zero.  Name, profession, weapon develop cost choices all seem to be intact, but stats are not being saved.  I am using the windows version on a laptop PC running Windows 7.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2014, 06:08:44 PM »
While I can access the new character process and work through it, when that is done and the program takes me to the character sheet, none of the stat values are transferred over, leaving a character sheet with all 10 stats being zero!
Have you assigned the rolls to each stat?
In this tutuorial video a slightly different ruleset is being used, but you can see an example of what I mean.