Author Topic: Guild Companion October 2014 (Issue 188)  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Kristen Mork

• OIC Points +70/-70
Guild Companion October 2014 (Issue 188)
« on: October 08, 2014, 05:03:07 AM »
Greetings from the Guild Companion; Issue 188 is available at www.guildcompanion.com. This month’s feature article continues the redefinition of Arcane magic in RMU to make it more exciting and dangerous. You can also find a review of the sci-fi game Eclipse Phase.

Peter Mork
Guild Companion Editor

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Guild Companion October 2014 (Issue 188)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:46:37 AM »
Fun little lists. Are they meant to be open essence?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Kristen Mork

• OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
Here's the first article in the series: http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2014/sep/redefiningarcanemagic.html

The intention is for these to be Arcane lists for RMU.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »
I started with the elemental lists, which do resemble Essence a fair bit, although there is some minor crossover and they are less stable. There are some elemental lists in the Arcane Companion and I always thought they didn't feel "arcane" enough. In any case, the next installment will diverge into totally different areas and really focus on the idea of crossing boundaries between realms.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 12:18:28 AM »
Do you know if Arcane is on the schedule to be reworked for RMU?  Will it be converted "in place", so to speak, or will it be given a new play style such as described in TGC?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 10:17:05 AM »
I don't have any information on that. Based on what I've seen posted, I assume the desire is for it eventually to be updated for RMU as with other material from previous editions of RM, but I haven't seen any hint that a new Arcane Companion has an author yet, much less a plan of attack. I also don't know about the copyright status, i.e. is ICE able to freely update and revise the material from the old Arcane Companion or would a fresh start be required?

My personal opinion is that there are parts of it that work very well, e.g. I like the Node aspects. (Next month's installment in TGC builds on that in fact.) And there are other parts that I think are just too similar to lists from the three realms. I am interested to hear what other people think, though. Do you like where I'm going with this? Did you prefer it exactly as it existed before? Assume that by the time it reached a companion, the lists would be properly sorted into open, closed, and base lists, with associated professions.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster