Author Topic: ERA NOT WORKING  (Read 1821 times)

Offline CalibreV

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA NOT WORKING
« on: February 16, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
Greets,
I downloaded ERA Rolemaster exe and it will not open or run on my machine which is running windows 10. I also paid for the ERA Character module and it will not operate.

What is wrong with this?

Cal

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA NOT WORKING
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 04:59:13 PM »
Hi. I would need to know exactly what happens when you start the executable file.

Are you using RMFRP or RMC? This will impact on which file you should choose.

Does a box open like it happens in this Installation tutorial video?

Just in case, I'll add that it has been reported that in order for ERA to run, you must check that the directory in which it is installed does not contain any language specific characters. For example, if your Windows user includes á,é,ö,ñ,ç you will not be able to run ERA from your Documents nor your Downloads directory.

Offline CalibreV

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 09:23:31 AM »
It is RMC.
Nothing happens. I get the 'spinning circle' as if windows is trying to open it, but it just sits there doing nothing. It doesn't even show in my task manager so I can halt it. Having to reboot just to shut it down. I've moved it out of downloads to the desktop still with the same results: nothing but sitting there trying to open.

thanks for the help
MGH

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 05:37:51 AM »
Since Windows is not being helpful, we could try something else.
I will need you to open a command line window (I think you can do that in Win10 by pressing the Windows button on your keyboard, typing CMD, then press Enter).
Then you need to reach the directory where ERA is installed (I can't assume you know how to do this, so let me know if you need more information about this step).
From there, I need you to run "ERA-RMC.exe" and let me know (or post/PM me with a screenshot) the result.

Also, send me a PM with any .log file in the directory, or inside /Server, most commonly it would be called ERA-Support.log.

And just to get more information, did you get a warning from the Windows firewall when starting the first time, like it is shown in the tutorial video?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 11:30:18 AM »
I've moved it out of downloads to the desktop still with the same results: nothing but sitting there trying to open.

Bear in mind that the desktop is also a folder under your user folder, so the same username issues apply as for the downloads and documents folder. If you have accented/foreign characters in your username, try making a new folder under C:\ or C:\Users\Public\ and moving it there.

If you don't have accented/foreign characters in your username, listen to Voriig Kye and not me! ;)
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster