Author Topic: Is SM a good system for New Eden setting?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
Is SM a good system for New Eden setting?
« on: October 13, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
The question doesn't need elaboration in and of itself, but most probably know what New Eden is. Perhaps there are multiple, but what I'm thinking of is the setting of CCP's mmo Eve Online. Four major human civilizations with space-faring, cloning, and mental copying technology. FTL technology for intrastellar travel, jump gates for interstellar travel. Rail, laser, torpedo, and projectile weapons, shields and metal reconstructing defense technologies.

Besides my love of RM, I was wondering about SM's suitability for New Eden because different weapon types(sometimes down to the ammo) have different strengths versus the different defenses and each empire's technology has a small additional resistance and weakness. I thought SM might have the same attention as RM's treatment of piercing/slashing/crushing damage against leather/chain/plate.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Is SM a good system for New Eden setting?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 07:45:09 AM »
I would say, Yes.

However, if using the SM Privateers system, I would use the RMFRP system since they are similar enough to not cause major compatibility headaches.  Could also use the RM2 and SM2 flavors.

If using the RMUbv2, then it would require some re-writing to either/both to make them more compatible.

Additionally, skill categories and groups would need some slight revising.

I have a text file I'll look for where I combined the RMFRP and SMP skill categories and groups.

Another point is that plasma based weapons would be more devastating against the metal based RM armors.  I did a write up on this while in college after asking a few professors about it.  I'll look for this also.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Is SM a good system for New Eden setting?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 07:57:50 AM »
Finally found it last night, but waited til morn to post.

Wait for attachment approval.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.