Author Topic: Tracking Combat  (Read 1863 times)

Offline sulkow82

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The truth is subversive.
Tracking Combat
« on: December 26, 2016, 07:20:40 AM »
Hello,
Does anyone have any advice/ downloadable forms for tracking combat in RMSS.  The reason I presently need to go old school paper forms is I don't know at any one time if I will be running my campaign at a place with internet access (I also don't own a laptop).
...formerly known as Kantron.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Tracking Combat
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 07:10:24 PM »
You could use what we stumbled upon to be useful:
3x5"/4x6" index cards, each named for one of your PCs and as many needed for Monster Group 1, Big Bad Evil Guy(BBEG) #3, etc.

We laminated ours and used dry/wet erase pens to track HP's, Init, and other references(RR mods)

Sort them via Phases that the PCs call out for their actions, then by Init rolls within each, or just forego Phases like most folks and go by INIT rolls in general.

To track Stun, turn the cards to the right from tall-ways and put ticks you cross off when their card comes up in next init order.
Turn Stunned No Parry to the left.

I saw some kind of initiative tracker cards long ago but they don't need to be fancy!
As always, YMMV. :)

There are even magnetic white board options for cheap out there, too:
https://kataklyzm.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/pzooms1000_500.jpeg

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 10:32:45 AM »
We created a sheets using Word or Excel, print them out, and put them in dry erase sleeves.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 04:50:18 PM »
I understand you don't have a laptop or internet access, but if you have a tablet you could use Rolemaster Combat Minion. Because it's a web app, accessible from your tablet's web browser, you only need to load it once. Thenceforth you never need internet access (ever). It stores all your data on the tablet itself within your browser's localstorage. You can take it anywhere without internet access and it will still work. Cheers, and good luck.

Offline sulkow82

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 08:50:04 AM »
I understand you don't have a laptop or internet access, but if you have a tablet you could use Rolemaster Combat Minion. Because it's a web app, accessible from your tablet's web browser, you only need to load it once. Thenceforth you never need internet access (ever). It stores all your data on the tablet itself within your browser's localstorage. You can take it anywhere without internet access and it will still work. Cheers, and good luck.

I will definitely look into this.  Actually, this does catch my attention as I am buying an iPad next month.  I have been familiar with the existence of Combat Minion for a while.  I always thought that internet access was required at the time of use.  However, I am happy to hear that I was wrong about this.  I would be happy to shell out the denarii.  One time internet access for perpetual usage after that is cool by me.

I will research if it is comparable with iOS.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 05:40:11 PM »

I will definitely look into this.  Actually, this does catch my attention as I am buying an iPad next month.  I have been familiar with the existence of Combat Minion for a while.  I always thought that internet access was required at the time of use.  However, I am happy to hear that I was wrong about this.  I would be happy to shell out the denarii.  One time internet access for perpetual usage after that is cool by me.

I will research if it is comparable with iOS.

I myself use it on an old iPad. I designed the interface to fit quite nicely with the iPad/tablet in landscape mode. So I just have it propped up in front of me and a bit to the side at the gaming table - quite unobtrusive.

It's free to try, so do make sure you're comfortable with it on the iPad before buying the full tables.

And yes I find myself having to repeat over and over that it doesn't require internet access while in use. Understandably, most people don't realise many web Apps don't require internet access (except to download for the first time).

Offline sulkow82

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 07:15:40 PM »
I was reading up on Combat Minion and have a question.

How does the current version work in relation to the web browser.  If I load CM into the iPad's browser, would I loose all the characters if I had to reboot the iPad?

Would I be able to go to websites without having to reenter characters?  Or, does the web browser become my dedicated <<Combat Minion>> software?  Should I use another software for going onto the internet (when I do have access)?

Where do I actually get the free version of Combat Minion?  It sounds like I could actually run it on my regular desktop computer to decide if I like it.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 01:21:09 AM »
I was reading up on Combat Minion and have a question.

Thanks for the questions. This is probably not the ideal thread to answer them but I hope others don't mind.

How does the current version work in relation to the web browser.  If I load CM into the iPad's browser, would I loose all the characters if I had to reboot the iPad?

No, you don't lose anything if you reboot. It's stored in the browser's "localstorage". Think of localstorage as being like cookies, which remain persistent as long as you don't go into your browser's settings and manually clear your cookies.

Would I be able to go to websites without having to reenter characters? Or, does the web browser become my dedicated <<Combat Minion>> software?

Just go and browse wherever you want, and when you come back to the web app (which is just a website) all your characters will still be there. Note that each browser has it's own localstorage, so you should choose a particular browser to be your Combat Minion browser. You can easily transfer your characters from one browser to another (eg. Chrome to Firefox) using the copy and paste export/import functions from within CM.

Should I use another software for going onto the internet (when I do have access)?

There's no need.

Where do I actually get the free version of Combat Minion?  It sounds like I could actually run it on my regular desktop computer to decide if I like it.

Go to www.web.com.au/rolemaster/minion/. It's just a website. Think of a web app as a website with persistence. After you go there the first time, you don't need internet access anymore to access it or the data it contains. There's nothing more you need to do. Dive right in and start using it. Note that it comes with six (IIRC) free attack and critical tables. If you trial it and like it, ICE sells the full table sets for either RM2/RMClassic or RMSS/FRP at rpgnow.com.

You can run it on any web browser, on any any device - desktop, laptop, tablet. It won't work properly on smartphones only because the user interface doesn't fit properly, so tablet or larger is required.

Offline sulkow82

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 02:38:59 AM »
After I made that post.  I found the website.  I rather like it.  I will be purchasing it.  :)