Author Topic: Exporting ERA characters to Fantasy Grounds?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Frunobulax

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Exporting ERA characters to Fantasy Grounds?
« on: June 23, 2017, 04:40:10 PM »
The ERA character creation system is a lot more detailed than what can be done in the Fantasy Grounds RMC ruleset.  Character creation, leveling up, background abilities, and skill development are all far superior and with the add-on content, many more races and skills are available.  It does have a feature to export characters to XML, but apparently it is not in the format that FG's character importer recognizes.  That kind of sucks.  I guess I could manually type in all the stuff, but that's a real PITA.  I know Iron Crown and FG supposedly work together - perhaps they could make it possible for FG to import characters created with ERA (and hopefully vice-versa).  This would be such a huge help!  Thanks.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Exporting ERA characters to Fantasy Grounds?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 12:13:00 PM »
As I mentioned in this other post, I am open to collaborating with FG to improve the experience of RM players.

I obviously use ERA for character creation and adventuring, so I have no idea how hard it would be to export characters in a compatible format.

If anyone from FG wants to exchange information to help bridge that gap, I'm up for it.

Offline Frunobulax

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:36:49 PM »
As I mentioned in this other post, I am open to collaborating with FG to improve the experience of RM players. I obviously use ERA for character creation and adventuring, so I have no idea how hard it would be to export characters in a compatible format.

If anyone from FG wants to exchange information to help bridge that gap, I'm up for it.

Well, I mentioned this in the Rolemaster forum at the https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38877-Imnporting-ERA-characters-into-FG Fantasy Grounds web site, and the person who maintains the RMC ruleset (Dakadin) is looking into it.  I have sent him a number of examples of exported ERA characters.    Both FG and ERA use XML for character important and export, so it is just a matter of translating.  If you want, I can upload a character exported from FG for you to look at.

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 01:23:19 AM »
I created an XSL file that will do most of the conversion.  It can be found here with instructions: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39041-Converting-ERA-XML-Characters-into-FG-RMC-XML-Import-Format

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 07:03:55 AM »
Thanks for building this tool to bridge both products.
I think it will help bring the RM community closer.

Let me know if I can provide any information to improve the conversion process.