Author Topic: Old Rolemaster Character Class Conversions for RMU  (Read 1534 times)

Offline mark99913

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Old Rolemaster Character Class Conversions for RMU
« on: October 01, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
    I've been reading up on RMU and it seems like a nice system and all, but I've just recently gotten back into Rolemaster and bought many books including Compendiums 1-6. I really wished they'd take the time to convert all these old character classes over to the new RMU system. All those class spell lists might already be compatable with RMU for the most part, but it would be awesome to have DP costs, class bonuses for skills, and etc. listed for all those character classes. I'd like to get RMU when it comes out, but it's so annoying that I might not get to use old character classes in those compendiums that I payed so much for without lots of work to convert them.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Old Rolemaster Character Class Conversions for RMU
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 08:43:54 PM »
I expect that eventually we will get there. In the meantime, it's easier to create professions in RMU than in previous editions, as there are actual rules for it. (And most lists require little or no conversion, the main difference is they have those gaps.) But those things said, I have some of those companions and everything for RMSS/RMFRP, so I understand where you are coming from...  I'm sure some people will want to stick with previous editions, and some people will want to wait until at least some of RMU's companion material starts to come out (which obviously will not be until after the core does).
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 01:09:48 AM »
I've created my own rules for making the old RM2 professions in RMU, and have converted some of the old character classes. The latest version of my skill costs are here (on post #26 of this thread):

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=17454.0

I also outline why I think RMU will not be able to recreate all the old classes unless it adopts some rules for giving individual skill costs (the short answer is: unless you have individual skill costs, you really can't recreate all the old classes because you can't give fine enough distinctions in the skill costs; you just end up creating more No Profession classes). So my rule is an optional houserule that allows you to recreate the old classes with individual skill costs.

I also have a Guild Companion article on this, but the most up-to-date version of the skill-cost list (with Archmage, Astrologer, Beastmaster, Nightblade, and Warrior Mage) is on that thread above.

I do plan to do more of the old RM2 classes, and ideally all of them one day, precisely for people like you and me, Mark.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline mark99913

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 07:24:10 PM »
I expect that eventually we will get there. In the meantime, it's easier to create professions in RMU than in previous editions, as there are actual rules for it. (And most lists require little or no conversion, the main difference is they have those gaps.) But those things said, I have some of those companions and everything for RMSS/RMFRP, so I understand where you are coming from...  I'm sure some people will want to stick with previous editions, and some people will want to wait until at least some of RMU's companion material starts to come out (which obviously will not be until after the core does).

Wow, that's awesome that RMU will have rules to create new professions! The more I read about RMU the more I like it.

Offline mark99913

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 07:32:23 PM »
I've created my own rules for making the old RM2 professions in RMU, and have converted some of the old character classes. The latest version of my skill costs are here (on post #26 of this thread):

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=17454.0

I also outline why I think RMU will not be able to recreate all the old classes unless it adopts some rules for giving individual skill costs (the short answer is: unless you have individual skill costs, you really can't recreate all the old classes because you can't give fine enough distinctions in the skill costs; you just end up creating more No Profession classes). So my rule is an optional houserule that allows you to recreate the old classes with individual skill costs.

I also have a Guild Companion article on this, but the most up-to-date version of the skill-cost list (with Archmage, Astrologer, Beastmaster, Nightblade, and Warrior Mage) is on that thread above.

I do plan to do more of the old RM2 classes, and ideally all of them one day, precisely for people like you and me, Mark.

Hurin, I really appreciate what your doing for this game. I know that lots of the classes that come out of companions won't likely be played by players, but I love all that variety that players get and I can't stress enough how useful that is for creating npc's.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 09:02:16 PM »

Hurin, I really appreciate what your doing for this game. I know that lots of the classes that come out of companions won't likely be played by players, but I love all that variety that players get and I can't stress enough how useful that is for creating npc's.

Glad you found it useful. I agree that it is great to have classes like Archmage, Beastmaster and Nightblade for NPCs. That great variety of classes is one of the things that first attracted me to Rolemaster.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle