Author Topic: Soul Crystals  (Read 1087 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Soul Crystals
« on: December 24, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »
Interesting question for y'all...

Although probably already thought of by many here, I am still posting to seek some advice.

I came up with the concept of Soul Crystals two or three decades ago.  Just never actually sat down and thought of what they are or how they are fabricated.  Been working on it, but have some indecision.  Below is the working text I have written.

Quote from: arakish

FABRICATION

This skill is used to fabricate (create) a special crystal from the Power User's "Essence" itself.  The crystal is called Kreäg, from the word Kreäsa, which means "that which exists within."

Kreäg, or Soul Crystal, is formed by compressing the Power of one's own "Essence" into a Flux Matrix.  The Flux Matrix must be constructed first from a crystalline mineral.  The harder the crystal (Mohs scale), the better.  The softest crystal that can be used is quartz (7 on Mohs scale).  The best is diamond or yurklasin.  The crystal need not be absolutely pure, such as using rose quartz instead of pure quartz.  The crystal also need not be flawless.  However, the crystal MUST be whole.  The size of the Flux Matrix crystal is determined by multiplying the desired carat size of the Soul Crystal by five.

Example: If creating a 4 carat Soul Crystal, then the Flux Matrix crystal must be >=20 carats.

The Power User must focus his "Essence" into the Flux Matrix.  The Power User's "Essence" is his [? ? ?] stat(s) points.  The amount of total "Essence" is determined by multiplying the Soul Crystal's carat size by 500.

Example: Continuing from above, it would take 2000 (4 × 500) total "Essence" points.

The loss of [? ? ?] stat(s) points are recovered at the same rate as Power Points in Development: Recovery above, except [? ? ?] stat(s) modifier.  "Essence" used is equal to the Power User's current [? ? ?] stat(s) minus one each time "Essence" is added to the Flux Matrix.

Once all the "Essence" has been put into the Flux Matrix, the crystal implodes into the Soul Crystal.  During the implosion, the Power User must mentally focus on the twelve Runes so they may be embedded onto the twelve facets.  Maneuver Roll = Od100 + ((SD + Pr) / 2), if 101+, then success.  Else failure means the Flux Matrix is reduced to a fine dust and the Power User must begin anew.

Once the Soul Crystal is created, it will be in the shape of a dodecahedron, each facet with its own rune.  The Soul Crystal will hold an amount of Power Points equal to its carat size multiplied by one hundred.

Example: Continuing from above, the 4 carat Soul Crystal would be able to hold up to 400 Power Points.

As long as the Soul Crystal holds at least one Power Point, it is virtually indestructible, excepting exceptionally powerful entities.  If a Soul Crystal is reduced to 0 (zero) Power Points, it is consumed and reduced to a crystalline powder, totaling the same carat weight as the original Flux Matrix crystal.

The Flux Matrix crystal need not be pre-shaped before use and can be used in rough condition.  It can be used as long as its carat size is greater than or equal to the Soul Crystal's carat size times 5.  The Flux Matrix crystal can be larger, but it shall still implode to the size of the Soul Crystal being Fabricated.

The maximum number of Soul Crystals any Power User may have active is equal to the current Self Discipline score divided by 20, round down.  When the number of active Soul Crystals is at maximum and the Power User wishes to create a new larger Soul Crystal, all he needs do is to use all Power Points in the smallest Soul Crystal, allowing it to disintegrate into powder, then create a new larger one.

Soul Crystals store Power indefinitely until used.  The Power User puts Power into the Soul Crystal using the Channeling sub-skill of the Finesse skill.  Power put into a Soul Crystal is based on the Power User's Base Power Points and is recovered as normal.  Power Points put into the Soul Crystal is additive up to its maximum capacity.

Once created, the Soul Crystal is keyed to only its creator.  None others, excepting powerful deities and entities, can attune to it nor use the Power stored within.

THE RUNES

<I need to design these…>  <need to design crystal in Daz3D and/or Blender…>  (included only to show is still a WIP)

Where I am indecisive is the "[? ? ?] stat(s)" used for a Power User's "Essence".

The basis of my thoughts are that 1 Stat Point equals 1 Essence Point.  However,...

My thoughts are whether the "Essence" should only be one stat, two stats, three stats, ..., or all ten stats.

My thoughts for multiple stats would be:
  • If it is two stats, then both stats MUST each donate one point to equal 1 "Essence" Point.
  • If it is three stats, then all three stats MUST each donate one point to equal 1 "Essence" Point.
  • If all ten stats, then all ten stats MUST each donate one point to equal 1 "Essence" Point.

My idea is that a Soul Crystal should be exceptionally difficult to fabricate, but not impossible.  Just also requires tons of patience.

I am kind of thinking of requiring all ten stats, but also thinking of just the five stats required to be a Power User (SD, Re, Pr, In, Em).

Of course, not all stats need to be at the same score.  The part ""Essence" used is equal to the Power User's current [? ? ?] stat(s) minus one each time "Essence" is added to the Flux Matrix," from above, would mean until the lowest stat is reduced to a score of 1.

Of course, I need to change that to mean the maximum amount of "Essence" that may be put into the Flux Matrix is equal to the Power User's current [? ? ?] (lowest) stat score minus one.

Here is the Power Recovery method:

BR = PD + SD; where BR = Base Rate, PD = number of developed ranks in Power Development, SD = Self Discipline modifier, NOT ×3.

Activity Level     %age     Recovery Rate
Hyperactive     > 90     BR × 0
Very Active     <= 90     BR × 0.05
Active     <= 75     BR × 0.1
Sedate     <= 50     BR × 0.2
Resting     <= 25     BR × 0.35
Sleeping     < 1     BR × 0.5

Recovery Rates are on a "per hour" basis.  Activity Level in each "per hour" is measured by the highest level of activity sustained during that hour for more than a few minutes (GMs discretion).

For example, if Activity Level in one "per hour" was Very Active, even for only a few minutes, then Power Points Recovered for that hour is (BR × 0.05).

The "Sleeping" activity level is different.  The ENTIRE "per hour" MUST be spent Sleeping to get the (BR × 0.5) Rate.  Otherwise, it is considered to be Resting, or higher.

Thanks for any input.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Soul Crystals
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 11:41:01 PM »
My feeling is that if you use a single stat which is the character's spell-casting stat based on their realm, it represents their ability to manipulate that realm of magic. If you use Pr+Em+In, it represents their ability to manipulate all magic. If you add in Re+SD, you are putting some of their thoughts, identity, and mentation in (in which case I wonder if the crystal should have a spark of awareness?). If you add their physical stats, you are also including some of their bodily health and vitality, or perhaps the idea is their soul temporarily goes into the crystal as it is being formed, and the loss of stats actually represents what happens as their body starts to die before it returns (i.e. stat deterioration). I don't know which of those best suits what you are going for.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Soul Crystals
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 12:35:16 AM »
Sorry I don't come around as often as I used to, or should.  Just too busy.

Thanks for the input jdale.  Going by what you wrote, I think I like the idea of ALL ten stats being used.

Should have clarified that there is ONLY realm of power: Kreäsa (that which exists within).

Kreäsa can also mean "Power".  In fact, "Power" is used more often in my group.  Thus it matters not where a Power User gets their spell lists, whether Channeling, Essence, Mentalism, Arcane, etc., they are still all one realm: Power.

I like the idea of all ten stats because I fell that does best represent their "Essence" or "soul" or "being" or "existence" or whatever you want to call it.  Of course, now just got to work out the recovery of stat points.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.