Author Topic: Automatic Fabrication Modules for Harp SF  (Read 1619 times)

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Automatic Fabrication Modules for Harp SF
« on: January 02, 2018, 05:43:42 PM »
Hey guys and gals,

Just kicking something around in my head and wanted to see what people thought of it.  I know my Bughunter's players have wanted to use their ships fabricators to build things in my game in the past and I generally just hand waved it when it came up.  But I thought I might put together some more structured guidelines for the automatic fabrication units.  I used the blood mill as a base guide to determine costs, and went the the typical 3kg/l assumed density of tech to come up with a rough guide for mass.

Here is my first shot at the idea:

AFM (automatic fabrication modules) generally come built for specific types of products (industrial, bio-medical, nutritional, etc.) and in five common sizes.

Mk 1 (personal AFM)
6kg, 240 sol.  Can manufacture components and items up to 3kg (1 liter) in mass/volume.  They typically build at 3 kg/hr.  But simple items are often made up to 10 times faster.

Mk 2 (portable AFM)
30kg, 1200 sol.  Can manufacture components and items up to 15kg (5 liters) in mass/volume.  Builds at 10kg/hr.

Mk3 (mini AFM - typical workshop or vehicle mounted AFM)
300kg, 12000 sol.  Can manufacture components and items up to 200kg (65 liters) in mass/volume.  Builds at 100kg/hr.

Mk4 (full AFM - typical building installed AFM)
1.5 tons, 60,000 sol.  Can manufacture components and items up to 1 ton (330 liter) in mass/volume.  Builds at 300 kg/hr.

Mk5 (industrial AFM)
10 tons, 400,000 sol.  Can manufacture components and items up to 7 tons (2.3 m^3) in mass/volume.  Builds at 1 ton per hr.

All these use a combination of nanites (1000 sol per Kg) and base material (1000 sol per 50 Kg) to produce standard grade (+0 material) items.  Cheaper nanites and/or materials can be used but at the cost of poor manufacturing (-5 manufacturing penalty for cheap nanites) or poor materials (-5 material penalty).

The AFMs come with a database of standard open source designs (Unrestricted items only).  These designs are typically suboptimal and give a -5 design penalty to whatever is built.  Large purchases (such as vehicles) often include a license to download and produce typical consumables and parts.  These designs are much higher quality and do not impart the design penalty.  Black market databases can be found in the shadowy recesses of cyberspace that do not incure this penalty and/or include restricted items as well.  Otherwise restricted and quality designs can be purchased and licensed separately(typically at great cost).

Specialized version of the AFMs are typically used by manufacturers (buying bulk  specialized nanites and materials) to build most standard equipment.

What do you guys think?  Any suggestions?

-Regards
-Pyrotech

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
Re: Automatic Fabrication Modules for Harp SF
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:29:48 AM »
Ok. This all looks really neat! I just need: tables, models, examples and colours  :o ;D

Something like this would've been a great addition to my now dead campaign ... perhaps this would be a way to revive it.  :o
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff