Author Topic: New GM seeking help!  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Drmac

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New GM seeking help!
« on: August 25, 2015, 02:23:13 AM »
Hello!

I have played some Rolemaster and some from my group talked about space master as "Rolemaster but in space!". I really like sci-fi and I have some ideas for a campaign. But what books do I need and which are usefull?

Also: tips are more than welcome! :D

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New GM seeking help!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:12:05 AM »
Which version of RM do you prefer to play?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Tommi

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 06:40:24 AM »
rpgnow has Spacemaster 2nd ed (comparable to RM2) pdfs for cheap. SM:P is available as pdf and physical books.

I like both but you should buy the one that is closer to your RM version (IMO).

For SM2 you need GM book, Player book and Tech book.
For SM:p I'd get at least SM:privateers and Equipment Manual. Blaster Law is fun if you want to fry players with one shot.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 03:21:31 PM »
SM:P is great and more complete than SM2 materials available
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Drmac

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 03:22:49 PM »
Thank you for the replies! And for what version I have no idea. I have never played Space Master but I have played a good deal of RoleMaster.

I am basicly new to Space Master so I was mostly looking for tips to be honest :-D

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 05:34:50 PM »
Are you considering ship to ship combat also?  When I finally run a Spacemaster game I'm going to combine in some kind of small ship combat system, just haven't decided how I'm going to do it yet (although I know I'll be using Star Wars and Star Trek mini's for it).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 08:11:41 PM »
sm;p has a very complete set of rules. optional races inspired my first campaign in a home brewed setting based in sol solar system. first contact with the otter race presented in sm;p rule book

in my opinion it will be difficult not to be inspired while reading robotics law or tech law. the supplements are excellent. thee are vehicle to vehicle combat rules too.

what sort of adventures will you run ? i like industrial espionage .

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 11:00:49 PM »
I was wondering what version of RM you played? As that might influence what I would recommend for you. ie if you play RMSS/FRP then you will probably like SM:P if you like RM2/C then you will probably like SM2. The reason is those SM systems are based on their RM versions.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 05:42:17 AM »
My preference is to use the Space Master: Privateers (SMP) for the completeness.  However, I prefer the "Imperiums" setting of the SM2 books.

MY OPINION ONLY: Space Master: Privateers was a publication of a single GM's sci-fi setting while also trying to re-create Space Master.

I have always preferred a neutral setting like the "Imperium" setting in the original Space Master books.  However, even that could have been a single GM's sci-fi setting.  But it did not seem such.  It seemed more Star Trekish and/or Star Warish with "humans" still trying to create an empire for themselves while also struggling with its own internal conflicts of the "Houses" while also having the external threats of the Snee and others.

In my SM2 campaign, there was the Terran Star Empire, Urgon Hegemony of Federations, Inurian Confederacy of Emirates, Snekra Administration Dynasty, Khryshyn Concordium, Nebulonic Imperial Security Force, and Enigman Invaders.  Each of these had their own spatial influences while also trying to expand outwards, and conquer the other empires.  This sort of setting can lead to quite a bit of conflict and spatial combat with ships.

However, if you prefer extreme subterfuge, then use the SMP setting.

Otherwise, use both the SM2 and SMP settings to create something in between.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Drmac

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 09:44:58 AM »
Again, thank you everyone for the replies!

I sorta have a dream of making my own World. With factions and solar systems and such. I think I might go with SM:P because it is more complete. I have also gotten a few of the books like Assault Book and Strike Book. But I have got the impression that these two ''modes'' if you will are different games?. As for right now I have no clue  as to how I am going to implement Spaceship fighting.

As for the campaign it is going to focus on exploration and spacetravel. What do you Guys think? Is it to ambitious? And is it even possible?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 11:27:52 AM »
Again, thank you everyone for the replies!

I sorta have a dream of making my own World. With factions and solar systems and such. I think I might go with SM:P because it is more complete. I have also gotten a few of the books like Assault Book and Strike Book. But I have got the impression that these two ''modes'' if you will are different games?. As for right now I have no clue  as to how I am going to implement Spaceship fighting.

As for the campaign it is going to focus on exploration and spacetravel. What do you Guys think? Is it to ambitious? And is it even possible?

It is not too ambitious: it is actually what the system is designed to do. I play the SM2 version.

Spacemaster (SM2) the RPG provides everything you need to run a Spacemaster campaign. The two additional supplements (Armored Assault and Star Strike) add vehicular combat and space combat, and also serve as complete board games on their own. They can all be integrated to provide a game that combines individual, vehicular and space combat.

I did the same thing in my last Spacemaster campaign: the game started as a pretty traditional space RPG. Then the characters got involved in a civil war (War on a Distant Moon module) that involved fighting tanks and walkers. Eventually, they found a derelict space ship, patched it up, and went out to explore the universe and fight other ships, Star Trek style.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 07:26:02 AM »
I ran SM for about 8 years and only ever had Tech Law, Future Law and the Imperial Crisis books. It was all very close to RM2.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...