Author Topic: ERA for Rolemaster configuration, customisation and advanced use  (Read 20149 times)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA for Rolemaster configuration, customisation and advanced use
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2017, 05:19:10 PM »
I'll answer here since the very idea of this thread is for all potential advanced users to benefit from the customizations others have tried.

I think I have never read the Pulp Adventures book you are using, although I know it exists.

I tried your files in my development environment and found out that the issue you mention (Could not find category named Awareness in group named Awareness) does indeed happen when using the RMC ruleset, because of the point described in the changelog for 2016-10-25: Added perception penalty to armor.
There are some categories and skills that should not be changed when customizing the ruleset, because they are needed to compute some aspects of the character. Perception was added to that list for RMC in the update that broke your files.

Now, do not despair. A simple fix would be to add back the Awareness category with its Perception skill so that your files can still be used. Although you would be missing the automatic computation of perception penalty due to helmet worn.

But, there is something else I need to point out. You are using the wrong base ruleset.
I did a quick check and found out that Pulp Adventures is a Rolemaster Standard System module, which means that you should be running ERA for RMFRP, instead of ERA for RMC as you seem to be doing now.
If you did, you would find that there are much less changes required in the skill set, and all your customizations would be easier, smoother, happier, etc.

Let me know if that information helps, and if you decide to change the base ruleset to RMFRP, do post and tell us if you found it easier, as I expect it to be.

Thanks for dabbling with ERA!

Offline dndgamer5e

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2017, 09:06:20 AM »
I'll answer here since the very idea of this thread is for all potential advanced users to benefit from the customizations others have tried.

I think I have never read the Pulp Adventures book you are using, although I know it exists.

I tried your files in my development environment and found out that the issue you mention (Could not find category named Awareness in group named Awareness) does indeed happen when using the RMC ruleset, because of the point described in the changelog for 2016-10-25: Added perception penalty to armor.
There are some categories and skills that should not be changed when customizing the ruleset, because they are needed to compute some aspects of the character. Perception was added to that list for RMC in the update that broke your files.

Now, do not despair. A simple fix would be to add back the Awareness category with its Perception skill so that your files can still be used. Although you would be missing the automatic computation of perception penalty due to helmet worn.

Thanks for looking into that, will have to adjust the required sections.

But, there is something else I need to point out. You are using the wrong base ruleset.
I did a quick check and found out that Pulp Adventures is a Rolemaster Standard System module, which means that you should be running ERA for RMFRP, instead of ERA for RMC as you seem to be doing now.
If you did, you would find that there are much less changes required in the skill set, and all your customizations would be easier, smoother, happier, etc.

Thanks for dabbling with ERA!

Yeah we originally started with the Beta rules for RMU then found ERA and being we played original Rolemaster stuck with RMC.  Yeah we are aware that Pulp Adventures are RMSS, so will be transitioning over to RMFRP at some point.  Then theres the conversion of the characters to date which will take a bit of time.  But we will get there.  Chrs

Offline dndgamer5e

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2017, 05:35:05 PM »
Hi, people update to the Dec version of ERA works fine, able to generate characters with my custom skills, groups, categories, professions and races.

I have now updated to the January version of ERA and Im getting an error the program is stating that there is "No defined cost for hand guns" and is stopping dead when I get to hobby ranks in character creation and it will not load any of my already generated characters. I have copied over all the custom xml's into the correct sections of the RMFRP Config.

Running the Linux version on ubuntu 16.04.1. The support log is over the limit for to post here I will email it to you directly.  If you can shed some light my problem chrs.

Aly

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2017, 09:42:55 AM »
I have now updated to the January version of ERA and Im getting an error the program is stating that there is "No defined cost for hand guns" and is stopping dead when I get to hobby ranks in character creation and it will not load any of my already generated characters. I have copied over all the custom xml's into the correct sections of the RMFRP Config.

I have received the files and they were really useful for me in understanding the issue.

You have added a new skill category group, skill categories for the new group, and new skills that are not in the new categories but in other pre-existing categories. You have also added new professions which include the cost for the new categories.
The existing professions in your installation do not have a cost for the new categories, so the system assigns a cost of 0 by default.
If you were to start the server and create a character of any profession, it should work ok, although each character would then have to indicate its cost for the categories.

Now, if you load a character (or create one and then edit it in the Character Sheet module), and add skills to the new categories, the system would know of new skills in the new categories.
And here is the bug/limitation.
When creating a new character, of an existing profession that has no cost assigned to a category, IF there are skills in that category, the system is not equipped to assign a cost to it during the Hobby Ranks step of the Character Creation, and you can't complete the character.

So, some approaches and some food for thought looking at future versions of ERA.
  • If you are going to add skills and categories, it is best to create your own professions instead of using those included in the packages. This will improve with the Extended Professions feature that will be an option in the upcoming poll for "New features in 2017". This feature will imply that you can add the missing costs for your new skills and categories to any profession in the packages.
  • You can create your characters, regardless of profession, as long as there are no skills in the Skills.XML for new categories, if that is the first thing you do after starting the server. So far it seems that only the Hobby Ranks step has a problem with that, so if you start the server, create all the characters, and then edit them in the Character Sheet module to add skills, you should be fine.
  • I have taken note of this situation and will try to improve support for it in the next version. This will mean that a new skill in a new category with no cost will be assigned a cost of 0, instead of breaking the character creation process.
  • Be careful with the use of weapon skills in a new category, since by default those skills will not be considered an Offensive Bonus and will therefore not be offered in the Adventure module when attacking, and you won't be able to specify a fumble range. You can change the skill type in the Character Creation module but editing the skill and then clicking on the Gears icon, choose Classification: Offensive Bonus, accept, and next time you edit it the additional options will appear.

It is quite interesting to see how different groups adapt ERA to their needs, so thanks for sharing.
And let us know if you require further assistance.

Offline tarax

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2017, 10:42:27 PM »
I am ok with setting things up, is there a way to change the languages from the default?  I have a list of unique languages I would like to use.  Thanks.

Love the software

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2017, 05:32:38 PM »
I am ok with setting things up, is there a way to change the languages from the default?  I have a list of unique languages I would like to use.  Thanks.
This will require you to take a look at the example files in the base product.

Both in the RMC and RMFRP rulesets, you can Add a language as a skill, for all characters to have available when leveling up.

To do this you must edit Skills.XML and add a line like:
<Skill name="Nuyasu - Spoken" groupName="Communications" categoryName="Communications" classification="Static Maneuver" ><Stats></Stats></Skill>

This, however, will not be available as a language during character creation. It will only appear after the character has been created.
Also, the structure of the skill name is important. Due to the internal way in which sub-skills and languages are handled, you can't use parenthesis in the skill name.

Specifically in RMFRP, you can instead Add a language to a custom race and culture.

To do this you must edit
/Cultures/yourCustomCulture.culture.XML to list your languages, in the form:
<StartingLanguage languageName='Iruaric' spokenRanks="6" writtenRanks="2" />
and you must also edit /Races/yourCustomRace.race.XML to make sure that the number of languages matches the expected number of languages for the culture of  that race, for example
<Languages>4</Languages>

This will make the languages appear during character creation, and afterwards in the character sheet, but only for characters of that race and culture.
The downside here is that you can only do this for custom races and cultures, and not for those included in the packages sold.

Love the software
;D Thanks! You can also show your love by rating the packages at RPGNow.

Offline tarax

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2017, 10:17:59 AM »
This will require you to take a look at the example files in the base product.

Both in the RMC and RMFRP rulesets, you can Add a language as a skill, for all characters to have available when leveling up.

To do this you must edit Skills.XML and add a line like:
<Skill name="Nuyasu - Spoken" groupName="Communications" categoryName="Communications" classification="Static Maneuver" ><Stats></Stats></Skill>

This, however, will not be available as a language during character creation. It will only appear after the character has been created.
Also, the structure of the skill name is important. Due to the internal way in which sub-skills and languages are handled, you can't use parenthesis in the skill name.

Specifically in RMFRP, you can instead Add a language to a custom race and culture.

To do this you must edit
/Cultures/yourCustomCulture.culture.XML to list your languages, in the form:
<StartingLanguage languageName='Iruaric' spokenRanks="6" writtenRanks="2" />
and you must also edit /Races/yourCustomRace.race.XML to make sure that the number of languages matches the expected number of languages for the culture of  that race, for example
<Languages>4</Languages>

This will make the languages appear during character creation, and afterwards in the character sheet, but only for characters of that race and culture.
The downside here is that you can only do this for custom races and cultures, and not for those included in the packages sold.

Love the software
;D Thanks! You can also show your love by rating the packages at RPGNow.
Cool.  Thank you!   That should work for me, I'm 'ok' with editing XML.  And I want to keep the players from grabbing languages that would not be available to them at start.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2018, 01:44:45 PM »
How do you add stats to new weapon categories? I'm customizing for use with Spacemaster, and I need to be able to set Projectile Weapons to use AG/ST, and Energy Weapons to use AG. I have them weapons themselves added, and working in character generation I just can't find which file sets the stats.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2018, 02:29:32 PM »
How do you add stats to new weapon categories? I'm customizing for use with Spacemaster, and I need to be able to set Projectile Weapons to use AG/ST, and Energy Weapons to use AG. I have them weapons themselves added, and working in character generation I just can't find which file sets the stats.

Edit: Should have specified this, but my modifications are being done in the Rolemaster Classic module of ERA. I'm using a separate instance of the software on another computer, and it doesn't have any of the additional licensed add ons in place.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2018, 08:05:52 AM »
In the /RMC/Configuration/Categories.XML file you must add categories similar to the way it is done for other weapons.
For example:
<Category name="Projectile Weapons" groupName="Weapon"><Stats><Stat shortName="Ag"/><Stat shortName="St"/></Stats></Category>

I am not familiar with the different versions of Spacemaster, so I'm unsure if you'd be better off starting from the RMC or the RMFRP content in ERA.

Remember that once you add new categories, you can't use the professions and cultures provided with the base product. You should remove them (or modify them to add cost/bonus for those categories) so as to avoid any conflict in the configuration files.

There are many similar attempts to whay you are needing in the previous pages on this very same thread, so I'd recommend checking them for more insight.

Lets us know how it went, and thanks for using ERA!

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2018, 11:16:19 AM »

In the /RMC/Configuration/Categories.XML file you must add categories similar to the way it is done for other weapons.
For example:
<Category name="Projectile Weapons" groupName="Weapon"><Stats><Stat shortName="Ag"/><Stat shortName="St"/></Stats></Category>

I am not familiar with the different versions of Spacemaster, so I'm unsure if you'd be better off starting from the RMC or the RMFRP content in ERA.

Remember that once you add new categories, you can't use the professions and cultures provided with the base product. You should remove them (or modify them to add cost/bonus for those categories) so as to avoid any conflict in the configuration files.

Right in front of me where I couldn't see it, Thanks.

Spacemaster 2 would be equivalent to Rolemaster Classic. Not sure if Privateers is equivalent to RMFRP or something completely different.

Offline rax

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2018, 05:00:00 AM »
Posting my question here per Voriig's request.

Having successfully added the Swashbuckler profession from School of Hard Knocks to ERA RMFRP, I'd like to try adding the other professions from that book as well. The only problem is that two of the classes have profession bonuses in the Subterfuge/Stealth category, rather than the Subterfuge group.

I can see how profession bonuses to groups are coded, but have no example to work from when it comes to skill categories. So, how does one do it?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2018, 08:32:00 AM »
Check how it's done for the magician. They have a +5 specifically for the Lore - Magical category.

Instead of the empty:
<SkillCategoriesBonuses></SkillCategoriesBonuses>

You'll see:
<SkillCategoriesBonuses>
<SkillCategoryBonus groupName="Lore" categoryName="Magical" bonus="5" />
</SkillCategoriesBonuses>

Offline rax

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2018, 11:57:47 AM »
Brilliant, thanks - I see it now. I looked before but didn't notice that the Lore - Magical bonus was listed separately from the group bonuses.

Offline nwatters

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2018, 10:22:20 PM »
Ok so I have looked over the forum and I'm sure it's a new question. If not, direct me to the right spot. I like to use the optional rule in the School of Hard Knocks for mundane skill difficulties. How do I change the default settings?
I also have a problem with the hiding skill it's not letting me add skill ranks to it. I'm forced to change the spelling so my players and I can add ranks to it. Any ideas to fix that?       

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2018, 09:30:16 PM »
Ok so I have looked over the forum and I'm sure it's a new question. If not, direct me to the right spot. I like to use the optional rule in the School of Hard Knocks for mundane skill difficulties. How do I change the default settings?
Hmmm, no one had asked for that before!
The current version has the available difficulties determined by the ruleset, there is no option to change them. With that said, it might be possible to add such a feature in future versions of ERA. I'll add it to the short-term list of things to add. Thanks for the suggestion!

I also have a problem with the hiding skill it's not letting me add skill ranks to it. I'm forced to change the spelling so my players and I can add ranks to it. Any ideas to fix that?
That is because Stalk and Hide are "bound" with Hiding always using the number of ranks in Stalking. This is a default rule in both RMC and RMFRP.
For more details you can check this post.

Offline telathos

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2018, 06:57:38 AM »
How do I add a new image for a profession for RMC? Copied the Fighter.prof.XML to the new profession (Warrior Mage). I have all of the skills and bonus added and have created some test characters fine. I haven't been able to figure that out yet.  Under Server/Resources/ I see the RMC-Races. Do I create a RMC-Professions folder for the images?

Thank you

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2018, 09:51:54 PM »
How do I add a new image for a profession for RMC?

You have 2 options:
  • Edit the <SampleImage> tag in the profession file, with a valid Base64 encoded PNG image
  • Remove the <SampleImage> tag in the profession file, create the ERA/Server/Resources/RMC-Professions directory, and put in it a file named as your profession with PNG extension. In your case Warrior Mage.png
The recommended image width is 280px.

Let us know if you were able to see the profession image after that.
Thanks!