Author Topic: XP... what system of rewards do you use?  (Read 9797 times)

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
Re: XP... what system of rewards do you use?
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 03:11:16 PM »
I follow the RMSS XP system pretty closely but I do award idea XP's and goal achievement XP. I find the level up pretty OK. As the party has grown in level, the spell casters accumulate a lot of XP each round especially if they get into combat. I never liked treasure XP as it was dumb luck and no real activity to get the XP. I think the RMSS system is more realistic.

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 01:41:37 AM »
Compared to many other systems Rolemasters XP development is tediously slow.

1. What rewards system do you use?
2. Any house rules for XP?
3. Do you award XP for treasure and magic items?

1. I use a "level" as a reward. All players share in EXP for missions, puzzles, skills, kills and treasure.
2. The house rules were so convoluted that we decided just to give a level every game session or two (we play for 10 hours straight, every other weekend in Nashville, TN)
3. I reward the group with EXP for completing quests, dungeons, rescuing someone, for destroying "evil" items or giving to charity.  The typical good behavior mumbo-jumbo :)

As a basic rule, simply give a level a session.  Rolemaster is so deadly that it doesn't hurt to give a level a game session! The highest I have ever seen a players character is level 23! I have been playing since 1987 if that gives you any idea about how deadly the crit tables are :P
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 10:04:30 AM »
I follow the formula in ChL&CaL RM2  ( I believe that's where it's found) as closely as possible.  But, because the level advancement is a little slow, I add a Base XP for the gaming session that each player gets.  If it was a particularly challenging or long session, the XP will be more. 

After all the XP is calculated, I roll 1D10 and give an additional %bonus added on to the total to reflect the Fates, the gods, dumb luck, whatever you want to call it.  At most the bonus 10% total bonus and that is really rare that I roll a 10 for the 10% bonus.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline rafmeister

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 08:35:09 AM »
Each GM in my current group has a different method. GM1 gives everyone a level at the same time. GM2 gives a flat reward each session, with bonus points for creating a plan and succeeding. I tried a mix of flat experience (1000 XP per session), plus participation (1000 XP for showing and playing), plus a reward for roleplaying (variable), and experience for combat damage (1 XP/point of damage taken or given). In the past, I used the basic experience system from RM2 along with idea points. My first GM used the MERP system plus "balance points" where all players experience was calculated, halved, and players generally received an equal share.

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 03:05:46 PM »
I use a combination of the original RM2 xp system, some what toned down, along with a group goal/story award system...

But I have been playing around with a personal/Professional goal system I saw/found when I GM'd another system Called Ace & Eights.

Basically it had Career Goal paths with goals/Accomplishments Recommended for the Profession of the Character to work towards, and as they achieved each goal they earned X amount of points.
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 01:01:46 AM »
I use a combination of the original RM2 xp system, some what toned down, along with a group goal/story award system...

But I have been playing around with a personal/Professional goal system I saw/found when I GM'd another system Called Ace & Eights.

Basically it had Career Goal paths with goals/Accomplishments Recommended for the Profession of the Character to work towards, and as they achieved each goal they earned X amount of points.

career goal paths sound interesting, can you post an example of how they work?

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2016, 02:33:15 AM »
Okay, so firstly, a "Career Goal path", as you put it, is not necessarily based on ones profession. A Gm could create one for specific professions, But they don't have to be.

Let us say some one was Playing a Fighter, but they wanted to be a Bounty hunter and were Working on the "Bounty Hunter" Career Goal Path.
Each Goal can only be claimed once.
you can Only Skip ahead one Goal, Before you can get credit for a Goal 2 beyond one you skipped you must go back and complete the skipped goal.
A Goal can not be claimed be claimed for actions Prior to advancing to that goal.
A Player may Work on as Many Career paths as they Like, but may only "Claim" one goal at a time and may not Collect multiple goals from the same effort.

These would be the Goals.
Bounty Hunter
50 Eps = Capture a Criminal: Capture a person accused of a crime.
100 Eps = Bring in a Local Criminal: Capture a person accused of a crime locally and bring them into a local Law official for reward
200 Eps = Bring in a Notorious Outlaw (some one wanted for many crimes over a Period of time) Dead or Alive: and bring them into a Law Official for reward.
300 Eps = Bring in a Notorious Outlaw (some one wanted for many crimes over a Period of time)  Alive: and bring them into a Law Official for reward.
500 Eps = Bring in a Notorious Outlaw (some one wanted for many crimes over a Period of time) Dead or Alive, that currently resides outside the territory/state/jurisdiction in which you currently reside,  and bring them into a Law Official for reward.
700 Eps = Bring in a Notorious Outlaw (some one wanted for many crimes over a Period of time) Alive, that currently resides outside the territory/state/jurisdiction in which you currently reside,  and bring them into a Law Official for reward.
1000 Eps = Bring in a a Whole Gang (4+ members) Dead or Alive, that currently resides outside the territory/state/jurisdiction in which you currently reside,  and bring them into a Law Official for reward.
1500 Eps = Bring in a a Whole Gang (6+ members) Alive, that currently resides outside the territory/state/jurisdiction in which you currently reside,  and bring them into a Law Official for reward.

you can expand it from there upwards...

Another Career Path might be Doctor

Doctor (Requires at leas to of these skills: First Aid, Second aid, Surgery)
50 Eps = Set up for business/Service in a Known location (can be a tent, cave, Rental, or what have you.)
100 Eps = Treat First Patient, from your establishment, Successfully
200 Eps = Buy Lot suitable for Constructing a Building for practice.
300 Eps = Improve two medical skills to rank 5
500 Eps = Build a structure in which to preform your practice.
700 Eps = Preform a Successful Amputation of a limb (Fingers and Toes not counted)
1000 Eps = Successfully preform a Life Saving surgery
1500 Eps = Save lives from a Plague (3+ survivors)

The Wizard
50 Eps = Successfully Learn a New Open List for your Realm.
100 Eps = Preform magical Services for a Local/minor Noble.
200 Eps = Learn two lists above level 10
300 Eps = Obtain/purchase Land to build a "Mage Tower" upon
500 Eps = Preform services for a Major Noble
700 Eps = Obtain an Apprentice.
1000 Eps = Build a "Mage Tower"
1500 Eps = Create some New Magic (spell/Item/Creature)
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 08:47:38 AM »
I have been testing level-less rolemaster where the players earn ranks in the skills they use rather than gaining levels and that seems to be working well.

For spell effects I use the rank in place of level eggins a duration would be 1 minute/rank rather than 1 min/level.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Pazuzu

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2016, 08:10:03 AM »
I use the RMFRP xp rules straight out of the book. However, I make the players track all of their maneuver and combat xp.

I as GM then award adventure/story and misc. xp awards for roleplaying, cool ideas, etc.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2016, 10:15:25 AM »
Like JDale and Corey, I basically just tell the players when to level up their characters. We used to use the RM2 experience rules, but tracking every single critical and hit point delivered became a big time waster for the GM. It is a little easier in DnD, where killing monsters is the primary source of XP. But gradually I just shifted to a system where I just tell the PCs when they get to level up, which is usually after every 3 sessions or so. It may not be the most detailed system, but it saves a lot of time for both them and me, so we're happy with it.

In regards to RMU, it might be best to set the xp thresholds very low for the first few levels of characters, since characters of levels 1-3 are very weak, and many parties are going to want to pass through those levels quickly.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2016, 12:28:14 PM »
In regards to RMU, it might be best to set the xp thresholds very low for the first few levels of characters, since characters of levels 1-3 are very weak, and many parties are going to want to pass through those levels quickly.

I agree with that. I think it's better to start low and advance quickly, giving people a chance to adjust what skills they develop in response to what happens, rather than starting off with higher level characters, unless your group is all experienced with RM.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2016, 12:37:16 PM »
I as a GM, also like to adjust the pace of the campaign by having ways to control the leveling of PC's. I am more story based than combat so I tend to give the goal base experience over XP from combat and spell casting. I have found that this tends to take over the game as players are more concerned with tracking all the hits and crits or PP used than actually being imersed in the game experience or the story.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2016, 11:06:28 AM »
After 1 session you go up to level 2, after two more sessions level 3, after 3 more sessions level 4 etc.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2016, 06:17:22 AM »
I give XPs according to age and lifestyle. By "age", I mean how old one is compared to when one started to work/adventure, based on an experience chart I wrote, which determines the experience level a person of a certain age is. By "lifestyle", I mean how "intense" one's everyday's activity is, in  matter of experience, from "normal" activity (doing what everyone with the same "profession" does; for instance, for a "fighter", that'd be serving as a militiaman), "intense" activity (doing what the selected, "elite", few do; for instance, for a "fighter", that'd be serving in a special ops unit) and "heroic" activity (performing exceptional, extraordinary deeds only unique individuals are even able to perform).
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline vector

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2016, 04:48:30 PM »
I got tired of the ridiculousness of the the normal XP system years ago. Now I just hand out Development Points directly after the end of an adventure (usually several sessions).

Players can spend their development points immediately as long as their total ranks do not exceed (level +1)X2.

I did have to adjust the cost of all skills (so 2/5 became 3/3 for example) since they would be increasing their skill ranks more often.

DEVELOPMENT POINT AWARDS
Player was in an adventure: 3 DEV PTS      
Player stayed in the spirit of genre: 3 DEV PTS   
Player roleplayed well: 1-5 DEV PTS   
Player advanced personal goal: 1-5 DEV PTS per   
Player had an outstanding use of skill:    1-5 DEV PTS per   
Player had a good idea: 1-5 DEV PTS per   
Adventure was difficult: 1-5 DEV PTS   

DEVELOPMENT POINTS NEEDED TO LEVEL

1st - 5th level = 100 DEV PTS
6th - 10th level = 120 DEV PTS
11th - 15th level = 150 DEV PTS
16th - 20th level = 180 DEV PTS
21st level and beyond = 210 DEV PTS"      

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2016, 05:19:54 AM »
I got tired of the ridiculousness of the the normal XP system years ago. Now I just hand out Development Points directly after the end of an adventure (usually several sessions).

Players can spend their development points immediately as long as their total ranks do not exceed (level +1)X2.

I did have to adjust the cost of all skills (so 2/5 became 3/3 for example) since they would be increasing their skill ranks more often.

DEVELOPMENT POINT AWARDS
Player was in an adventure: 3 DEV PTS      
Player stayed in the spirit of genre: 3 DEV PTS   
Player roleplayed well: 1-5 DEV PTS   
Player advanced personal goal: 1-5 DEV PTS per   
Player had an outstanding use of skill:    1-5 DEV PTS per   
Player had a good idea: 1-5 DEV PTS per   
Adventure was difficult: 1-5 DEV PTS   

DEVELOPMENT POINTS NEEDED TO LEVEL

1st - 5th level = 100 DEV PTS
6th - 10th level = 120 DEV PTS
11th - 15th level = 150 DEV PTS
16th - 20th level = 180 DEV PTS
21st level and beyond = 210 DEV PTS"

thats looks reall
y interesting. far simpler than all the number crunching that normally goes on. how many adventures does it take them to level up?
i like the advancing personal goal award. ill use that.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2016, 10:03:17 AM »
When I ran GURPS, I gave XP for only three things:
* Making progress towards goals
* Roleplay

XP is an incentive for certain actions, the things I wanted to reward were having goals and finding ways to work towards them, and roleplaying. I didn't need to provide an incentive to get into combat etc.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2016, 10:11:48 AM »
* Roleplay

What's the third?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2016, 11:39:33 AM »
And I thought it was just me thinking that....
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2016, 12:28:37 PM »
* Roleplay

What's the third?

Noticing missing list elements, obviously.

Myself, I prefer a flat amount of XP for any player who showed up. That way, players will roughly stay the same power level (I say roughly because not everyone will be at the table every time - everybody has to miss a session now and then). That's a lot less hassle for basically the same gain. Also, no one will try to game that system.