Author Topic: HARP Folkways  (Read 14098 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
HARP Folkways
« on: March 05, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »
Is now released and we are offering it a special discount price of 10USD for its first month. Link in the March 2017 Briefing.

If you catch any typos, let us know so that we can rectify them ahead of the print masters.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
Re: HARP Folkways
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 02:22:09 AM »
I have a question concerning the Training Packages, some of them seem to break with the established guidelines of the corebook of maximum 5 ranks in a single skill.

For instance Envenomers grants 8 ranks in poisoning, Firsherfolk grants 8 ranks in swimming, and a few granting 6 and 7 ranks. One grants 10 ranks, but its in linguistics and is divided between spoken and written, and up to three different languages, so it makes sense. 8 ranks in poisoning and swimming however does not, unless you pick it up late in the game to give yourself something new, but is basically pointless at character creation. Right? As you still have to pay for those ranks, even if you don't get them.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline Kullervo

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 12:05:35 PM »
Wow! I must to buy it! It looks perfect, I like very much the "earthly" professions.

Also:
I'm thinking about biuying some HARP old books in Drivethrurpg.
They sale yet: "Dun Cru", "City of Archendurn", "Friends and Rivals".
Are those worth? Any compatibilty problems?
Friends and Rivals looks like the NPCs in "Martial Law", isn't?

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 02:46:23 PM »
This is one of the best detailed gaming books that I've read in ever. I haven't even gotten to new cultures and professions because of the wealth of material for world building.
#LotorAllura2024

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 04:11:44 PM »
I have a question concerning the Training Packages, some of them seem to break with the established guidelines of the corebook of maximum 5 ranks in a single skill.

For instance Envenomers grants 8 ranks in poisoning, Firsherfolk grants 8 ranks in swimming, and a few granting 6 and 7 ranks. One grants 10 ranks, but its in linguistics and is divided between spoken and written, and up to three different languages, so it makes sense. 8 ranks in poisoning and swimming however does not, unless you pick it up late in the game to give yourself something new, but is basically pointless at character creation. Right? As you still have to pay for those ranks, even if you don't get them.

Good catch - I will tweak the rank allocations to be consistent with core rules.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 04:15:53 PM »
Wow! I must to buy it! It looks perfect, I like very much the "earthly" professions.

Also:
I'm thinking about biuying some HARP old books in Drivethrurpg.
They sale yet: "Dun Cru", "City of Archendurn", "Friends and Rivals".
Are those worth? Any compatibilty problems?
Friends and Rivals looks like the NPCs in "Martial Law", isn't?

Archendurn and Dun Cru could be used with some modest issues. They both need their HARP stats tweaked to be in line with current HARP rules.

Friends and Rivals - all the characters were built using the old HARP rules so would need tweaking to be consistent. The spreadsheets are part of the product so these could be amended. It is just fiddly work.

I will happily entertain volunteers to perform updates.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Glenn_Gould

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 08:05:29 AM »
Nice work, love the book. Most new characters I'll create will probably start with one of the new professions!

Notes, after a first quick glimpse:

The "New Skills" should get their own entry in the table of contents despite sharing a page with the "New Talents".

A lot of the new talents seem to be of the "3 +10 skills for 15DP" sort. There could be some culmination of relatively cheap boni on single skills through these, if a number of these talents are acquired by a single character. If I didn't overlook something, there are limits for the (much costlier) "Skill Specializations" but not for the multiple boni type of talents which could become a problem if more and more of these enter the rules. I didn't look it up, but especially in subterfuge there might be some over the top combinations possible for skills that appear in multiple talents.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 08:14:14 AM »
Typo on page 20, there's an extraneous "r" in what should be the word "women".
#LotorAllura2024

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 11:44:54 AM »
I just got Folkways and read through it yesterday.

A great book - different than I expected but a very solid piece of work.  It reminds me of some of the older Gurps books, and considering I have a shelf full of those books and use them frequently in my world building that should tell you something.  Even without the new races, the new professions, and the new training packages this book would still be a great resource for anyone building their own setting.

Kudos to Nicholas and Jonathan (as well as everyone else involved) for releasing this!
-Pyrotech

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 01:29:38 PM »
Nice work, love the book. Most new characters I'll create will probably start with one of the new professions!

Notes, after a first quick glimpse:

The "New Skills" should get their own entry in the table of contents despite sharing a page with the "New Talents".

A lot of the new talents seem to be of the "3 +10 skills for 15DP" sort. There could be some culmination of relatively cheap boni on single skills through these, if a number of these talents are acquired by a single character. If I didn't overlook something, there are limits for the (much costlier) "Skill Specializations" but not for the multiple boni type of talents which could become a problem if more and more of these enter the rules. I didn't look it up, but especially in subterfuge there might be some over the top combinations possible for skills that appear in multiple talents.

I will be keeping an eye on these 3 +10 bonus talents as we continue to extend HARP.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Kullervo

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 04:55:05 AM »
Archendurn and Dun Cru could be used with some modest issues. They both need their HARP stats tweaked to be in line with current HARP rules.

Friends and Rivals - all the characters were built using the old HARP rules so would need tweaking to be consistent. The spreadsheets are part of the product so these could be amended. It is just fiddly work.

I will happily entertain volunteers to perform updates.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Thank you.

I've just bought Folkways now. A very good book, indeed! I like very much the new professions, skills and talents. It's funny for a spaniard like myself the "Conquistadors" Training package, he he... I don't if this is a typo, you write "Conquistadors" (english grammar) in the title and "Conquistadores" (spanish grammar) in the text. Mmmm, "Witch Hunter", wow!

I'll wait for a possible update of the old supplements.

Thank you for "Folkways", we'll enjoy very much of this!

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 09:40:10 PM »
There are three skills listed as new in this book that are in the core book. They are: Painting, Sculpting, and Writing. In HARP Folkways the stats for Painting changed from In/Ag to In/In.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 04:21:07 AM »
There are three skills listed as new in this book that are in the core book. They are: Painting, Sculpting, and Writing. In HARP Folkways the stats for Painting changed from In/Ag to In/In.

I cannot find them in HARP Fantasy (ICE/GCP edition). They are in HARP SF and the stats are In/In for Painting in HARP SF.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 08:21:56 AM »
Painting, Sculpting, and Writing are in the Artistic category in HARP SF. So from a certain perspective, they're new to the fantasy side. I'm noticing some timing issues between HARP SF and HARP Fantasy, particularly about separate skills vs. subskills.

I just found that the case study of the Enyryx Gryx lists its Self Reflection Ways, word for word, twice: on page 47 and page 56.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »

I cannot find them in HARP Fantasy (ICE/GCP edition). They are in HARP SF and the stats are In/In for Painting in HARP SF.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
My bad then. I must have put them into my auto character sheet because I thought they fit and had forgotten they weren't in the original sheet. I am not sure why I changed the stats to In/Ag? Unless I determined there was some manual dexterity involved........ Either way adding the other new skills will change the way my auto sheet works because I am running out of room for adding new skills.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 02:39:52 PM »
I found an error and a typo (or rather missing words) in the racial talents of the new races.
Three races are listed as having Tough Hide (Minor), Bentaxa, Navrothor, and the Vengha. The Bentaxa and Vengha get a +20 to DB whereas the Navrothor's listed bonus to DB is a +10. It seems like there is a typo there somewhere. I am thinking the Bentaxa are supposed to have Tough Hide (Major) and the other two race tough hide bonuses are supposed to be +10's.

The Vengha description for tough hide reads: "Tough Hide (Minor)—Vengha gain a +20 DB because of their
stone-like", the sentence is obviously not finished.

Offline Karizma

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 04:40:57 PM »
I just skimmed through this, and it's even better than I could have hoped for.

My current game was designed using Dawn of Worlds, letting players make up their own peoples and societies; this is exactly what I needed. The added races and professions are great too. I'm thrilled that there's a table for each of the questions, they are great for when you're stuck. I only have the PDF for the time being, but I want it on my bookshelf!

This is wonderful stuff :D

(Plus, Thomas Covenant helped define me in my school days, and seeing it mentioned always brings me a smile!)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 10:42:47 PM »
Bump on this as I was not sure if you had seen it
I found an error and a typo (or rather missing words) in the racial talents of the new races.
Three races are listed as having Tough Hide (Minor), Bentaxa, Navrothor, and the Vengha. The Bentaxa and Vengha get a +20 to DB whereas the Navrothor's listed bonus to DB is a +10. It seems like there is a typo there somewhere. I am thinking the Bentaxa are supposed to have Tough Hide (Major) and the other two race tough hide bonuses are supposed to be +10's.

The Vengha description for tough hide reads: "Tough Hide (Minor)—Vengha gain a +20 DB because of their
stone-like", the sentence is obviously not finished.
I also noted that the Seeker seems to only get a level bonus to one skill at 1st and every 5th level thereafter. Should they have more options for professional talents?

I was also wondering is there supposed to be a section for Racial Hybrids for all the new races in this book or not?

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
The Seeker thing may be on purpose, consider the Rogue from Fantasy. Gets a skill bonus at 1st level and every 5th level thereafter and nothing else except several favored categories.

Blood Talents are easy enough to figure out for new races, although given height ranges in the descriptions, a table for heights and weights would be nice.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Ryhope Wood

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
Is the description of the special ability 'Danger Sense' for the Queequayth correct?  It has very similar wording to the Combat Awareness talent in HARP Sci-fi except that the modifier is -20 in HARP Folkways and -30 in HARP Sci-fi.