Author Topic: QUESTIONS FOR THE AUTHOR  (Read 35698 times)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: QUESTIONS FOR THE AUTHOR
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 05:15:13 PM »
The greater talent isn't meant for dwarves, it's meant for races that don't have the stat bonuses alreadym since all dwarves have it, the talent wasn't meant for them.  If you WANT to give it to them, I'd give them the human bonuses, I'd think.  It's balanced for anyone, it just isn't meant for dwarves.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 10:09:21 AM »
Wow.  THAT'S a typo.  I don't know how that happened.

It should say Starting at 3rd level and taking them to 30th.  Thanks for the head's up.  I'll get that into the typo list (there are two now).  Sorry about that, it's the typo I feared the most, a cross-system one.  HERO uses points.

RM version as well - looks like they all have the same copy on the inside of the front cover (p. 2) although the front does say 3rd level.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 10:11:33 AM »
Thanks for the head's up.  I wonder when that creeped in.  It might have been after the editing.

those are the back covers, btw.

Offline kedrake

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Land of Osmar
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 02:45:46 PM »
TYPO: Page 42 The Throne of God (HARP)

3rd Paragraph
The balls strike on the with a +50,causing Heat criticals.
strike on the .........what?

I read Throne of God cover to cover, and while I wasn't PROOFING it, that was the ONLY typo I spotted.  Nicely done.
If there is a turd in the punch bowl, adding more punch isn't going to help.

http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydrake/HARP

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 05:33:51 PM »
Vestigile sentence typo.  It's trying to refer to the heat critical chart twice.  Thanks for the catch.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2006, 09:40:23 AM »
p. 52 in the HARP edition, Belther section - top left. 
Reads - At these meetings they vote on every issue that could wait until the session.  Should it be 'could not wait' or did you model the halflings after Congress?
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2006, 06:34:43 PM »
No, that's right.  If the issue couldn't wait until the session someone had to deal with it before there was time for a vote.

Offline Higlak

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2006, 07:19:55 AM »
Typo RM version:  p.98 In the Starg entry, Government section it says The Malveig have a clan system similar to the Hofgrin.

I think it should be: Th Starg have a clan system like the Hofgrin.

I have a question too about the stat modifier of the surface gnome.  I've bought the RM's race and culture book  (I know they're almost all Shadow World Race but I can't keep myself from buying RM titles ???) and found that the gnomes in Echoes of Heaven are very different especially on the strength modifier.  The -8 St in the Race and Culture Book seem appropriate from this race (small and not very physical oriented).  You suggest a modifier of +0 and my players asked me why this kind of gnomes is some "super" gnomes.  I don't have logical answer so I'm asking you?  (I know this is some sort of racial discrimination :D).

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2006, 09:51:59 AM »
You are correct on the starg question.

Gnomes:  There are elements of the Gnoll from Underground Races (which is more like the traditional D&D gnome to me than the gnome from the same book) and the Gnomes from HARP, but in the end, the reason I put them like that during the final tweaks (I think it changed five times) is they are hardier burrowers than halfings (where the -8 comes from originally, I'm sure).  The gnomes have a bit more of a kinship to dwarves than halflings do.

To put it in perspective, a human has at least +2.  So one day GerikGnome from the playtest was bragging that he'd gotten his strength all the way up to a +2 bonus and I said "Great, that's the same strength as the ten-year-old boy!"

Offline GerikGnome

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2006, 12:48:12 AM »
Hey, I'm just proud I can lift more than I weigh.   :)

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2006, 08:44:17 AM »
On bonded weapons - how do you determine how many points a character has to spend on the bond or is the entire process left to 'GM's option'?  In the example the character just starts out with 20 and seems fairly generic in how the character gets an unlock roll and getting more points.

Only thing left to read is Ludremon and play with the tile funciton on the CC Viewer.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2006, 06:22:20 PM »
This is probaly a silly question...what year is the 'present day'?  The timeline lists several AI dates but then just a list of events.  I kind of like the story style rather than textbook but I was just looking for a reference point.

Also - question in gerneral - has anybody been able to print out the full Belkanath map via the tile function from the Viewer?  I set the tiles up but if I go to a preview it defaults back to 1 by 1 and I only get the one page.  I can zoom in and print fine but not the tiles for the entire thing.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2006, 02:06:28 AM »
On bonded weapons - how do you determine how many points a character has to spend on the bond or is the entire process left to 'GM's option'?  In the example the character just starts out with 20 and seems fairly generic in how the character gets an unlock roll and getting more points.

Only thing left to read is Ludremon and play with the tile funciton on the CC Viewer.

From what I remember the player gets 5 points per level and the GM makes the chart of abilities and rolls randomly to determin what ability is unlocked. So the player is out of the loop so to speek and the GM does all the charts and abilities.
I am looking forward to the full write up on the bonded abilities. I hope it is in the next product.
The way it it layed out sort or remindes me of the way elemental corruption abilities are handeled in RMFRP: Elemental Comp. Fire and Ice.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2006, 05:30:33 AM »
Mocking Bird, The current year is 2044.

When printing, what do you have in scaling?  In fact, tell me all your settings when you try to print.

MarkC,

We don't have a fuller version of bonded items planned.  What are you looking for is such an expansion?  Give me cool ideas and make me want to write it.

It's 2 points per level.  Page 148 in the HARP version, 149 in the RM version.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2006, 08:44:51 AM »
There it is - first paragraph - unlock 2 points a level. 

The concept reminded me a lot of thread items from Earthdawn.  You have tiered powers that are unlocked by applying threads to them (via legend/exp points) and often a deed - like knowing the creator of the item, the name of the dragon it slew, etc.  Therefore scaling up in powers could take several levels and that +5 axe you found early on might be a lot cooler when you do research on that strange mark on the haft. 

Also normal items heroes carry around can become threaded/magical items.  Basically the events and legens surrounding the deeds and the item become infused into it - its own fame and actions enchant it.  I can see something like that being applied to holy relics that may have actual rather than symbolic power.  For example the robe of Sepinus might be able to 'lifegive' once a week - not by it being enchanted directly but because of the miracle of his death and rebirth 'rubbed off' on it.

For tiling - I try to do the 4 rows, 3 columns and 3% overlay while the 'view' is the entire file.  When I do a print preview or print it resets to the whole page tiling 1 by 1.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2006, 06:57:43 PM »
I was hoping to see some guidlines on how to make an item bonded, power cost chart (such as you have summoning listed as 18 points, night vission as 2 points), can players spend Exp (Or does it take something like an exception deed 1 hero Point with GM permission), do exception acts have a chance to create bonded items, are bonded items awakened or have intelegence and just some more examples. I can see what a pain it could ture into; the 4 different magic systems are all very different.

mocking bird,
I do like the idea that items can evolve through the actions of those who carry them. I just think I would like to know how prevelent they are in the world. Are bonded items common? Uncommon? Very rare? Artifacts only? Should I center my game around bonded items or thier creation? As I know all my player are going to want them. ( Its a great idea and plot device).
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2006, 08:52:07 AM »
mocking bird, tell me ALL the settings on the print screen before you hit preview.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2006, 02:53:54 PM »
This may be a little premature but...in the HARP version in the back it mentions how there is no paladin class in 'official' HARP (Bazaar) but could be useful as a backdrop.  The Nopheratus is also a key player in Echoes but there is no necromancer in 'official' HARP (CoM - but perhaps a little more official than a Bazaar).

Will such things be added in a later suppliment or will 'crossover' items be avoided?  By that I mean will future works only incorporate base book material or do things just get complicated (with liscences for instance) if you wanted to draw more upon supplimental material?  For example listing/reprinting CoM necromancer spells vs. creating unique Echoes spells vs. no new spells.  Or using the spell creation rules out of CoM for new stuff.

Will have to get back to the map printing issue at some point - perhaps I am just the only one with the problem.  I just printed out a zoomed in Ludremon and called it even since in all practicality I won't be needing such a tiled map anytime soon.

A kind of sidebar on bonded items.  Player finds Bob's Axe made famous by Bob in the seige of Smallville.  Bob was a great fighter, lots of stories, etc.  Player asks what it does - you reply +10 to which player immediately tries to sell it because he already has a +15.  Making this a possible bonded (really?? ;)) item the player might want to hang on to it, do some research or perhaps need to go on a quest, like touching it to Bob's tomb to activate the powers if the spirit of Bob deems you worthy.  Basically cool magic items need to be earned more rather than picking it up and 'ping' attunement.  Powers could be hinted at in legends but but are ambiguous (like the Fell Hammer) but plain attunements don't work.

Also - noticed it is a hot seller at edge - OGL being #1.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 04:26:49 PM by mocking bird »

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2006, 10:37:21 AM »
Since there are necromancer and paladin professions in HARP, making versions in Echoes would be reinventing the wheel a bit.  There's a chance of such things cross system (for instance if I need a RM healer in all four systems for some story reason).

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2006, 10:23:16 AM »
To clarify my question, which I think you kind of answered, is that EoH sourcebooks will only contain material found in the base book.  While CoM or other suppliments may be referenced (like the palading class in a Bazaar or CoM necromancer with appropriate spells) there will not be any reprinting or direct use of them.  For example CoM spells reprinted in Cyradon, there won't be a baddie that might be called a necromancer but could be written up as a clerical sphere rather than the actual necromancer class in CoM.

Also found a typo in Throne of God (HARP) - The angelic abilities lists 'Resistances: Fire, cold, and water attacks against Angels have their criticals reduced by -20.'  The demonic has criticals reduced by two levels.

They also list crits at +10 vs. divine spark/infernal taint.  Any changes, like ignore damage caps or higher bonus, vs. the greater version?