Author Topic: Undead  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Undead
« on: March 19, 2018, 10:43:48 AM »
Good Day folks,
  I have a question for the community at large.  If the specific description of an undead doesn't state they are harmed by the sun, what is the effect of them moving in the sun?  As an example a Barrow-Wight does not state it suffers from the light, but they also remain in their Barrow and never leave.  So, is there harm to them from sunlight exposure?  Are they destroyed when their horde is disbursed as in LotR?
  A Vampire "Fears Sunlight and running water" does this mean they suffer damage per the film vampires?  I like the idea that a vampire suffers an 'A' Heat critical each round when exposed to direct sunlight or running water.  What of other types?
  A Ghost is not listed as harmed by light, so they should be able to operate in the light, but may be invisible or possibly even unable to harm someone in the light if the GM so rules. 

Thoughts?  Comments?  Suggestions?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Undead
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 11:17:16 AM »
I'm not sure if RM ever specified exactly what happens to all undead, but it would be good if they did. I like the idea of an A critical for vampires. In RMU, the effects of sunlight sensitivity are spelled out in detail: a penalty to all actions, in different grades (eg. grade I is -25, grade II is -50, etc.). So you might apply that to creatures other than the vampire.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 11:21:30 AM »
The most recent undead I've looked at ( a couple of weekends ago) only state they prefer to hide in shadows since they feed off the fear of the living.  The darkness and unknown produce fear.  I was looking for skeletons, will o'wisps, corpse lanterns, and corpse candles.  I haven't looked into vampires, but C&T-I must have info on it.  I haven't seen any other undead that would be impacted by light.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »
Hurin,
  I will need to look at RMU, I did not, and Like the suggestions.  Thank-you

Spectre771,
  I was thinking of things like the Barrow-Wight and the Ghost, the BW stays in the dark, so it is harmed by light?  The Ghost is almost invisible, but what of the ghost-wolf who must remain outdoors no?  Zombies and Skeletons are out in the daylight, does it harm or hinder them?
Thanks for the help

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 12:32:52 PM »
I don't think most undead are affected by sunlight at all (unless stated otherwise for the particular type). Of course you can change that if you want for your setting. But it does make things easier if you want to have armies of undead marching around....

RMSS C&M says (about undead in general) "They prefer the shadowy lack of definition that fills the night rather than the harsh clarity of day, since Man's fear of the unknown is heightened by darkness." That seems to apply best to those which feed on fear or which are smart enough to take advantage of it. Vampires in C&M take an E heat critical each round in direct sunlight, but that's the exception, not the rule.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »
Thank-you all.  This helps.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 02:43:41 AM »
I think this is setting specific and very much down to individual GMs and their worlds.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 02:26:11 PM »
I think this is setting specific and very much down to individual GMs and their worlds.

I very much agree. Guidelines and ideas for undead would be valuable, but in the end it's a GM's decision.
Darn that salt pork!