Author Topic: Gencon 2013  (Read 8732 times)

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Gencon 2013
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 06:40:18 PM »
We will not be at Gencon, however Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley) will be there and running some games using the most recent version of the new RM rules.  ICE and GCP are supporting him with some specials for all of his participants.

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »
I am disappointed by no ICE booth this year (but I understand the difficulties with this), and I wasn't able to get into the RMU games Wolfhound is running, but I'm going to try to get over to one of his sessions and see if anyone from the boards are around.

I'm leaving for Indy tomorrow and hope to see some of you there!

I'm also crossing my fingers for 2014 and maybe seeing ICE return to Gen Con.

-Pyrotech
-Pyrotech

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 09:15:45 PM »
Get some generic tickets Pyro, that way is someone doesn't show you can jump right in.  It's not uncommon.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 09:58:48 AM »
See you guys there. Waiting on the shuttle now.
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 09:48:18 PM »
So who is here outside Aaron and I? If interested I was going to swing by a future RM game of Aaron's and show off a sampling of jaranka's programs (for RMFRP and RMU).
Charles Morris

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 07:30:32 PM »
So who is here outside Aaron and I? If interested I was going to swing by a future RM game of Aaron's and show off a sampling of jaranka's programs (for RMFRP and RMU).

The Mrs. and I were there but didn't do any RPing this year. How did the events go?
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 01:37:09 AM »
Aftermath of GenCon Indy 2013, apparently the highest attendance ever, and people are saying hotels are already sold out for next year? That's crazy. Maybe they need to change venues to a better city. I miss good old Milwaukee! I must admit that I miss going to the old GenCons, even standing at the booth long hours. I loved running Rolemaster and SpaceMaster demos (I made the most ridiculous sets for some of them), and of course after hours hanging out (aka drinking) with the other industry people... good times.  8)
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »
I would question the whole hotels being sold out.  Maybe if they are calling them (the hotels) directly, but I don't believe that they (gencon) have opened up the housing blocks for next year.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 02:53:57 PM »
The sessions I ran went fantastic.  And mistrornge sat in on one game (due to not much of anyone showing up for the first session).

You can see the details here: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=13626.0

I think Colin was also planing to post the results on the ICE Blog
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 06:01:39 PM »
Just FYI, I just booked a room at the Conrad (about 1/5th a mile from the convention center) for Aug 14th through Aug 17th, 2014.  $40 more than you'd pay through the housing bureau and I can cancel it up to two days before arrival.  Whoever I go with will go through the housing process and see if we can get one at a closer hotel for the same or less.  Having been a few times I'm willing to pay to be within walking distance.  Not only is it just far more convenient, but it saves you the money of a rental car or the hassle of public transportation.
- Cory Magel

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 04:23:38 AM »
Huh, I was just able to hold a room at the Omni for $209/night.  Not really any closer, but $50 less per night and only $19 more than it was going for in the housing block this year.  Again, I can cancel 2 days in advance for no penalty.  Didn't think I'd be cancelling the Conrad reservation so quickly.
- Cory Magel

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 06:42:12 PM »
I was about 5 miles out at some crappy hotel. $89 a night though
Charles Morris

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 08:12:13 PM »
I've done GenCon three times and after being 20mins out of town once I'll never do it again.  That was when I went for the first incarnation of ICE.  Second time WotC paid for it (worked there) and I was right across the street.  The third time I just called one of the hotels cold and got a room a couple blocks away without going through the housing process.  In Milwaukee that had almost become a requirement to get a good room, but in Indy it's not as bad... but it's starting to head that direction.

I'd rather pay for a nice hotel and be a couple blocks away than spend my money on a car rental/parking or the hassle of public transportation.  To be able to walk over to your hotel and crash for a few hours or just drop off purchases is worth it to me.  Especially if I'm running events (did a multiple round tournament event of those times).  Fly in, take a shuttle, and just spend the whole time in a 4-8 block square area.

Keep in mind if you go through the housing process you can find a place as low as $120 or so within reasonable walking distance (maybe half a mile?).  The closer and nicer the more it will be.  The $209 I have held was $189 through the housing process this last time around.
- Cory Magel

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 07:36:38 AM »
As a side note, they had shuttle service available this year from many of the outlying hotels.  While the service was far from perfect, at least it made things a little easier for those who didn't get a close by room quick enough, and the cost was low enough that there was still a modest savings staying in one of the outlying motels.  But of course it was not as convenient due to having to catch the shuttle based on its schedule and not being able to stop by the room to drop stuff off or pick things up. 
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 08:12:20 AM »
Hmm, maybe bring someone who does not want to go and they can drive around people for $$$.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »
Staying in the outer hotels and paying for the shuttle service is definitely cheaper on an individual basis, but once you start getting more people it's less attractive.  It's still cheaper, but based on four people staying in a room, do you think you'd be willing to spend an extra $50 (total) to be able to walk two blocks to your hotel?

I think the shuttle service was $50 per person.  If you figure you'll spend an extra $100 a night on a hotel to be right next to the con (close to the widest gap in hotel pricing for the con) you'd be paying $50 more per person overall to be close assuming you stayed Weds-Mon (four nights in a hotel).
- Cory Magel

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 08:11:25 AM »
I was just stating that it was an option for those who aren't able to get a room in downtown Indianapolis.  Or for that matter, if you aren't willing to share a room with multiple people. 

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 12:20:15 PM »
I know I'll have at least one friend coming along, but the others are iffy at best.  Of the others that might have tagged along one is a 'spur of the moment' military assignment problem, one is broke, and the other is essentially just a cheapskate.  The two of us are good splitting a $1200 (five night) hotel bill, so if others go along it's just a bonus.  We actually considered paying for a two bedroom apartment about three blocks from the Con ($300 a night or $1400 a week).  I like having a full on kitchen while traveling, but when I do GenCon I'm pretty much at the Con if  I'm not sleeping or eating.  I usually figure GenCon is going to run me at least $1500 between air ($500 coming from Seattle), hotel and food.  The dangerous part is I'll probably spend that much in the merchant hall (assuming I find stuff I can't elsewhere) too.  If it was closer I'd go more often, it's too bad the Cali one just didn't work out.  I had thought a GenCon in the west would be a success.

I debated whether or not I want to run the event I did last time around, but I don't think I'm going to.  The last three times I was there for someone else or running that event (six four hour sessions if I remember right - three feeding into two and those two feeding into the final).  Even considering getting a game mat made for it (I'll probably still do that for our own purposes).  But spending 15-20 hours running limited me on PLAYING in games and even from covering the merchant hall as much as I'd have liked.

I really should organize it better and make it available for Rolemaster GM's to run though.  Very easy setup and the players seemed to enjoy themselves a lot - even had a couple show up just to watch later sessions.  It's, simply described, a no holds barred chariot race using RMSS (although I doubt anyone, even most RMers, would be able to tell which version it originated with).  Basically you pick a chariot, pick a pre-gen character type, pick a motivation, hand out the rules used (pretty simple one pager) then GM covers the basics on how to roll attacks and crits and you're up and going.  I wrote up a chariot attack chart and two chariot crit tables for it (one for ramming, the other for wheel spikes).  Gave out medals for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, most points earned, and most spectacular death.
- Cory Magel

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 02:10:34 PM »
 I hope to make Gen Con this year but a lot has to go on before that as it is way to early to tell. The group I am volunteering with might also get a booth or share a booth and will need all of the info provided above.
 This is a very helpful thread.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.