Author Topic: New look  (Read 5115 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New look
« on: December 21, 2012, 10:24:57 AM »
OK, so it is all dramatic which is fine, but I have 3 boxes in the upper left of my post, under my name that are supposed to be images, though I do knot know of what as they are just blank boxes with and "x" in them - like when an image doesn't load. Are they supposed to be something, or am I supposed to fill them?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
Re: New look
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 10:37:27 AM »
I must admit I like it. Different, but very much OK.

- One thing: seems my picture is not correctly dimensioned, it is next to my post but the one displayed under user heading isn't: It is pinched from the sides.
Game On!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:59:56 AM »
OK, so it is all dramatic which is fine, but I have 3 boxes in the upper left of my post, under my name that are supposed to be images, though I do knot know of what as they are just blank boxes with and "x" in them - like when an image doesn't load. Are they supposed to be something, or am I supposed to fill them?

They're stars. They load ok here. Although they don't quite look right against the new page background color.

One thing that does look weird to me is the count of laugh/idea points. Laughs are positive, idea points are negative. I assume that's because we've repurposed an upvote/downvote function :) which is clever but it would look less odd if the idea points didn't show up as negative numbers.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 11:46:18 AM »
Yup, this time they loaded OK. I guess it was just one of those "computer" things.

Yeah, I was wondering about the laugh/idea points, as well.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 01:54:39 PM »
I've always preferred the darker background websites to the lighter background ones.  Also like the subtle alternating color between posts.  Overall better from a looks standpoint... now we get to play with the functionality!

Oh, and yes the star colors need to be looked at.  Where mine are a similar color to the background they look a little odd.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 02:24:25 PM »
ENWorld goes white, we go dark gray. Still it's better than a black background, ugh, the early days of personal computers.

One thing I find odd is how Laugh Points are represented by positive numbers and Idea Points by negative. I do realize this may be a function of the update, but it looks weird.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 02:45:27 PM »
If you prefer the white background, on the left side menu you'll see Themes.
Select ICE Curve from the dropdown that reads BR Finale, and then click "permanent" and Change.  You'll jump to a white background theme.  I'm working on cleaning this one up (BR Finale) but once this is done, I'll hop over and update that one.

As for the Karma points (aka Laugh/Good Idea) the negatives was something that was previously coded over to use that feature in a different way.  When we upgraded the forums (for security purposes) this mod did not pass forward.  I'll see if I can figure it out as I'm playing around, but it's not a high priority right now.

The colors for the stars I'll update those shortly.

The personal uploaded images (like my own) will either come over properly with the rest of the site (as the system recognizes the folders) or they'll need for me to tweak the allowable width to permit the images to display properly.  I'll look into the latter.

Let me know if you see anything else out of whack...

By the way, I know the Unread Posts no longer sorts by Category.  That's a more complex code and I'll see if I can recreate it, but again it's not a high priority.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 02:56:15 PM »
Stars are now...
green - cyan - gold
1 of each, then 2 of each, etc. up to 4
More stars = more posts
Equal # of stars, then gold has the most posts, then cyan, then green.
I'll look into doing more with it later - but at least now they are all visible.

Other stars identify other groups.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »
If you prefer the white background, on the left side menu you'll see Themes.
Select ICE Curve from the dropdown that reads BR Finale, and then click "permanent" and Change.  You'll jump to a white background theme.  I'm working on cleaning this one up (BR Finale) but once this is done, I'll hop over and update that one.

Cool, thanks. I had been looking for a theme option in all the wrong places...

Have not decided which I like better yet, but it's always nice to have choices.

PS: the stars and smileys all look ok in the ICE Curve theme, they just have pixelated edges in the darker theme. Probably because they were generated with a white background.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 04:53:50 PM »
Oh yeah, were did the counter go for converts or whatever they were called? You know, the one that showed how many people we have gotten to sign on to the boards.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 05:33:48 PM »
That mod is under consideration for reimplementation. There were only 3 active board members doing it, and it did not convert in the upgrade of the software.  Adding it back in would probably not be very difficult, but it would take time, and also require re-update every time we upgrade the software (and if it isn't maintained then it adds more headaches).  I'm not sold on the value of it.

giulio.trimarco

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 03:59:04 AM »
I don't feel the theme in line with ICE major selling products.

A little more personalization could be wonder.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 04:02:39 PM »
That mod is under consideration for reimplementation. There were only 3 active board members doing it, and it did not convert in the upgrade of the software.  Adding it back in would probably not be very difficult, but it would take time, and also require re-update every time we upgrade the software (and if it isn't maintained then it adds more headaches).  I'm not sold on the value of it.
Shucks! I was one of those three. (So far I had only a single "convert", but I was working on getting more to sigh up for the boards and trying to get them to check out the new rules.)

Offline Keen_Man

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 02:28:58 PM »
Ohh modern forum software very nice :D

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »
I love the new color schema.  Makes it easier on the eyes when using a darker background with lighter foreground.  Makes it easier reading long posts/threads.

THANKS!!

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.