Author Topic: New Website  (Read 6236 times)

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
New Website
« on: December 25, 2012, 08:18:14 AM »
Merry Christmas!!!

Website is now about 90% up and running.  Unfortunately there was a data corruption during the transition which cost us a few days and some of the links and menu options were lost (and will be re-created).

Please feel free to post any dead links, or missing images (don't bother noting Catalogs or the reference to Rotating Images not found since we're going to address those tomorrow).    In addition, I'd love to hear feedback regarding ease of use (which may be hampered by the final fixes that are required) and also regarding the look and feel of the site.  I know it may not be possible to please everyone, but we'd like to know if things just are below acceptable levels.

Thanks for your support and patience.
Thom

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
Re: New Website
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 02:27:38 PM »
Will do, Thom!
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 10:08:57 AM »
I like the new forum look. ( especially as The Crown is just over my Lemming avatar  8) )

Though it's a bit confusing at first ( the previous forum instance was sorted a different way when you looked at new posts ).

Maybe, eventually making more obvious in what section the new are located would help on that side. 
( but well I'm probably one of the few people that rummage in the forum through the new posts since last connection list,  )

On the rest of the website :
It looks really great, though the catalog could use some work.  ;D
The rpgnow links were not clickable when I managed to get them.
The rest of the time I got that :

I didn't know you were selling TV  ;D

Edit : Why do I have -20 Idea Points ?
I don't know how many I had but I clearly remember that they were somewhere positive.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »
Yes, we fixed it so that the catalog no longer displays the demo database - but we lost the database of 100+ products (and will now have to reload them for the master catalog).  We are also going to try to fix the links/catalog to be clickable. Unfortunate that it was not automatic clickable, and it was too late to fix it at the time.  We will address that.

As for the forums showing by section, the data is still shown, just not shown that way.  I'll reload the old code if I can, but it makes it far more difficult to keep the forums current.  Similarly, the Karma system that was modified to make laugh/idea points will be updated when time allows.

Offline Barner Cobblewood

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 07:55:01 PM »
In addition, I'd love to hear feedback regarding ease of use (which may be hampered by the final fixes that are required) and also regarding the look and feel of the site.  I know it may not be possible to please everyone, but we'd like to know if things just are below acceptable levels.

Hello,

Seems fine, but I have switched to the ICE Curve, because I found the new look did not have enough contrast - all the parts of a post kind of look the same - the slight variation between the backgrounds of alternating posts really helped me see the organisation of the page, and the horizontal rule was more striking before. On a completely unreasonable personal note, I don't like the orange. Why not a nice cyan theme ;-)?

Also, the all unread posts button use to organise the posts by forum, wheras now all the forums are mixed together. I liked having say the playtests separated out so I could see new posts all at once, rather than having to read the forum in small type under each of the posts to understand their context.

Best wishes,
Barner Cobblewood

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 05:35:17 AM »
I find that the new look takes a bit of getting used to, and until then it seems hard on the eyes. However, there are few things as deceptive as 'seeming', so take that however you will.

For more concrete issues... with the new look, bolded text doesn't stand out nearly as much as it did before, but that didn't rise to "worthy of comment" by itself either. What did is that with the new look, scrolling down the main menu has become slightly jerky. The strange part is that once you get into a sub-board or conversation thread, it isn't jerky.... with the caveat that I haven't checked on sub-boards that are very full and busy, like the playtest threads.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 06:41:14 AM »
Is this website or forums?
If Forums, try changing the theme (bottom left side option) to ICE Curve.  This will change it to a white background.  It has not been updated for ICE branding yet, but it may be more to your liking.  For myself I find the dark background easier to read - but I wanted to make sure people had the white background option also.

If in regards to the website, please provide more examples.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 09:45:01 AM »
Forums.

I had changed back to ICE Curve for a while, and I'm glad you left that option open. I changed back to the current default scheme because I realized you were still looking for feedback on it. Once I'm satisfied that there are no issues needing to be addressed, I'll change back.

It's odd, but since I mentioned it, I haven't been seeing the tendency toward a slight lag. I dunno. Something in my own computer's cache, perhaps? I'll keep my eyes open for it, and if you don't hear any more from me on the subject it's because I couldn't make it keep happening.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline jaranka

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 12:59:08 PM »
It needs a favicon.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 01:42:40 PM »
Thanks - missed that during the database error issues...
Will address it shortly.

Offline TeichDragon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 10:26:31 AM »
I just bought the new HARP PDF and was reading some threads in the Cyradon forums.
Stumbled across the wiki, which is now a dead link:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at cyradon.ironcrown.com

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 09:22:25 AM »
Clearing the cache has apparently made the lag/jerkiness problem go away. I'll keep my eyes open on it, but that problem seems to be self-solving.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 08:12:46 PM »
Just wanted to say how refreshingly fast the new forum is compared to the old site and most other forum sites. Well done.

Offline Xamex

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Clubbulls
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »
Good new look of website and forum.  :)
www.clubbulls.com

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Thank you. Glad you're enjoying it. Many more changes to come.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 07:59:27 PM »
Thom, just received an "Important Announcement" email from yourself/Iron Crown (seems legit - not phishing) re forum membership and the fact that "Iron Crown Enterprises will soon be switching E-mail platforms".

However none of the sign-up links work for me.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »
Sorry about that.... sometimes when you hit enter it does more than just a carriage return.... in this case it sent out the message before we loaded the links.  If you don't want to follow those links there is a message in the forums, links on the website, and even a link on the left sidebar (under Main Menu).

Our apologies once again... but please subscribe so we can keep you updated as to what is going on with ICE products.

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 12:36:36 AM »
I caught that message, but subscribed via the website. I also caught the followup email: thanks for adding the links (even if I didn't need them in the second rendition).
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline jaranka

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 12:53:14 PM »
For me, in Internet Explorer 8, the dropdown menus from the horizontal menu up top disappear when my mouse leaves the main menu, preventing me from clicking on any of the links in the dropdowns.