Author Topic: AutoHarp 1.0  (Read 35114 times)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
Re: AutoHarp 1.0
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 04:57:51 PM »

I'm missing the Agile Defense/Swashbuckler Talent from Harp Fantasy.

Also when creating a Ranger, The Rangers Spell List isn't available when distributing the mystical arts profession ranks, which it should from my understanding.

I was honestly not aware of that rule. I'll post it to the issue tracking on sourceforge. Remember, in cases like this you can customize the character sheet after it is made and add those ranks manually. So a work around exists for now.

The Entertainer profession in HARP SF: it lists Artistic Prodigy as two separate talents, which is incorrect; the Entertainer has the Artistic Prodigy talent, not the Artistic talent, and there is no Prodigy talent.
I'll add this in as well. For now a work around would be to manually type in the talent under the talent tab which I think you can do. That is there is a list box where you can select a talent to add. You should be able to just type in something rather than select. You will have to manually add the description as well.

Thanks!

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 05:00:16 PM »
For the Ranger Rule, does that happen for any other profession?

Offline Glenn_Gould

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 06:34:19 PM »
There's a general Spell Casting skill mentioned in Harp Fantasy which belongs to the Mystical Arts category. My understanding always was, that any spells a character of any class might learn is a specialization of that general  spell casting skill and therefore also belongs to mystical arts. So for me it seemed logical spells can get ranks from the profession during character creation.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 06:38:19 PM »
Okay.. I'll make sure the professions that have their own spell sphere have this included as well. Thanks!

Offline Luxferre

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 01:30:36 AM »
Can you give a feedback, as soon as the errors are fixed? I desperately need this tool for my campaign  ;)
Feed me! I'm hungry...

ina killatesu basma kabis sumsu

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 08:19:04 AM »
I have been told the update which fixes the Stat Bonus error in AutoHARP is now available on RPGNow so that one is at least available.

There are workarounds for the following errors:

Ranger Spells not showing up Mystical Arts during Character Creation: You can add them manually after Character creation is finished by going to the Skill tab of the character sheet (there are multiple tabs with the character sheet: Traits, Defenses, Skills, Items, etc...) clicking on the Spells: Ranger category and adding the ranks manually. My tutorial for Character Maintenance can help you understand this process. 

Entertainer in Harp Sci-Fi has two talents that should be one talent, Artistic Prodigy: Again, after Character creation, go to the tab named "Talents" on your character sheet (last tab) and delete the talent called "Artistic" and the other called "Prodigy" (if it is in the list). Then go ahead and from the list box below select the Talent "Artistic Prodigy" and add it to your talents. Again the 3rd tutorial on Character Maintenance will help you understand how to do this.

Unfortunately there is no work around for the missing talents in Harp Fantasy. That will have to wait for a revision. If people need this revision sooner than later I can make provisions to have it available. My original plan was to make bi-weekly revisions however I may go to weekly revisions for the first month and depending on how many bugs are encountered. Given the nature of the last revision and the number of issues here, I believe I will try and make a revision available by the end of the week. 

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »
May I ask a favor from the user community of AutoHARP? I have received some awesome positive feedback for the program. Thanks for that! However I would greatly appreciate having that feedback also posted to the SourceForge site so that other people can see it. Maybe give it a FaceBook or Google+ like, give it a recommendation or a review. I always love to read reviews of software before I download it because I want to make sure I'm getting something that is well received.  8)

Also don't be shy to post bugs or even enhancement requests on SourceForge. It may or may not be a bug but I can always check it out and it's also reported on the bug tracker so that others might be able to read about it as well. If I get thousands of reports in a single month I may regret my words but let's put that request out there and see how it goes.  ;D

Cheers and thanks for using AutoHARP!

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 04:49:50 PM »
I'm sorry but I cannot find the talents of Agile Defense or Swashbuckling under my copy of Harp Fantasy. Was there a very recent update where these talents were added? I have a copy from 2011.

Thanks!

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 12:55:38 AM »
Just bought AutoHARP, and installed both the program and the database.
I fire up the program, but only get the "demo" Human Fighter information. How does one import/add the Fantasy database? It's installed on the PC in the same directory as the executable program -- Program Files\AutoHARP

Using Windows 7 on this one.
Will test the Ubuntu Java-based version later.

EDIT: Sorted. I uninstalled any and all instances of AutoHARP and now it works nicely.
I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
   -- The Doctor, 11th Incarnation

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 08:36:47 AM »
AutoHARP Version 1.0.1 is now available

For those who have already purchased a database email updates have apparently gone out. Goto my AutoHARP blog (link in my signature) for more information on this update.

Also the SourceCode is now available as a full download. I don't have any easy way to create an SVN here. I'm still looking into solutions. File available for download on AutoHARP SourceForge page. (link below in my signature)

Also it is important to know that this update requires the database update as well. Right now AutoHARP 1.0.1 requires the database version 1.0.1.

Thanks for using AutoHARP!

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2013, 08:13:52 AM »
Important Notice

If you are getting a path not found error when creating a character sheet, it is probably due to not having an updated Database. The Main application comes with an updated demo database however if you have purchased the Harp Fantasy and Harp Sci-Fi databases through RPGNow, you may have an older version. You should have received a notice that updated files are available to you at RPGNow for either the Harp Fantasy database or the Harp Sci-Fi database, whichever database you purchased. To check your Database version go to the following path: "<installation path>/Harp Databases/Harp Fantasy". Inside the Harp Fantasy directory should be a file called version.xml. Open this file in Wordpad or Notepad. Look for the version number which should be either 1.0.0 or 1.0.1

Right now here is a roadmap to let you know what you need when it comes to versions.

Application Version -> Supported Database versions
AutoHARP1.0 -> Database version 1.0.0
AutoHARP1.0.1 -> Database version 1.0.1

Sorry for not being clear on this before.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 08:44:58 AM »
What's Coming Up

Martial Law: I'm currently updating my database files to include information from the newly released Martial Law. I have for the most part finished up the necessary changes to the Character Creator. Updates include additional Weapons, Skills, Talents, and Armor. There will also be additional armor pieces as well as the ability to add armor with quality and material. More options to build your armor by the piece. New rules are in place which allow the user to define sections of armor with specific armor types. This change will be included in the Harp Fantasy database as well. The user can also define the character's social class giving the character sheet specialized starting money based on their social class. I have added Talents to reflect the character selecting a social class that is higher than poor as the character can receive more money than what is standard in the Harp Fantasy rules. For the Combat Tracker, it will include additional actions as well as new Combat Tables and a new Martial Law Combat System which was included with the Martial Law book. I will also include as a bonus character sheets of the NPCs written in Martial Law which will be available to only those who purchase Martial Law.

I am moving along well with the changes for Martial Law and predict having a completed application update by the end of the month.

Next on the list is Sci-Fi Extreme which includes Vehicle combat and Robot/Android character creation.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 10:12:31 AM »
Hi,

Will there be any instructions on how to adapt autoHarp for setting specific information?

My setting has a different set of cultures and a completely different monetary system. I would be very nice if I could autoHarp to work with these.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 03:43:09 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YLP_-I8JCs

This video and part 2 helps you understand how to add information to the database, however the video is a bit outdated now that 1.0.1 is out as the new version improved the design of the database making it much easier to define a customized "book" which is the direction I wanted to go with any custom data. That is if you wanted to create a new book that completely replaces Harp Fantasy or supplements it like Martial Law will do, it is possible. Also this new update does make creating a new monetary system a lot easier. I plan to update the above video to show what can be done with the new updates. To make a long answer that is already long, short... the AutoHARP database can be adjusted in the way you described.

One thing worth mentioning though is that any changes to the database does require a knowledge of XML. If you don't know what XML is or how it works you might want to read up on until I get my vids done.  ;)

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 08:09:35 AM »
Thanks was helpful.

I had pretty much figure that part out by myself. I happen to know xml quite well. I already made changes to the races and professions.

The starting appears to be fix (and found in the preferences.xml file). Does autoHarp have a means to randomize this or it is only manual edit within the form?

Where do I find the conversion values to Gold (and other coin types)?

My setting has only silver and gold coins, so I need to remove copper and there's 24 silver per gold.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 08:28:23 AM »
When it comes to starting money there is no way to randomize in version 1.0.1, however I can certainly make it possible to have it be random for version 1.0.2. That's a good enhancement request. Right now, it's a manual edit.

The conversion values and money definition (I'm talking about version 1.0.1 here) are found in the ItemsFromCoreRules.xml under HarpDatabases/Harp Fantasy/Harp Fantasy. You should find the Money node there in that file.
Code: [Select]
<Money use="true">
<MoneyName Multiply="0" IntoCoin="Platinum">Platinum</MoneyName>
<MoneyName Multiply="10" IntoCoin="Gold">Gold</MoneyName>
<MoneyName Multiply="10" IntoCoin="Silver">Silver</MoneyName>
<MoneyName Multiply="10" IntoCoin="Bronze">Bronze</MoneyName>
<MoneyName Multiply="10" IntoCoin="Copper">Copper</MoneyName>
</Money>
You will see that the money node contains subnodes "MoneyName" which define each currency and the multiplier into the above coin. I'm not sure that the attribute IntoCoin is even used anymore. I think I define things based on the heirarchy itself. Anyways, I think what you are looking for is the following.
Code: [Select]
<Money use="true">
<MoneyName Multiply="0" IntoCoin="Gold">Gold</MoneyName>
<MoneyName Multiply="24" IntoCoin="Silver">Silver</MoneyName>
</Money>

I believe that should render your coins in your system. Let me know if this works for you.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 08:43:47 AM »
Yes, this works although it automatically converts a portion of the silver into gold, which is not exactly desirable. Gold coins are actually very rare. Characters will likely have only silver coins. I may have to remove the gold coins entirely from autoHarp.

Thanks

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 08:53:38 AM »
Do you have any xsd files for the xml database?

I could do a little bit of programming magic with those.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2013, 09:50:43 AM »
What AutoHARP does in order to make the transition easier and the programming easier is that it simply takes the money you have and lowers it to the least common denominator. So yes, anything over the multiplier will get converted into Gold. Don't think of the money shown as what the character is carrying in his/her purse, it's just the currency amount. It might say 6 gold, but the character chould have 30 silver and 3 gold pieces. I suppose it might be worth setting up the money to "display" what the character has and have a converted number in the background. This could work. In any event, having it set up the way it is now was the least stressful solution to another-wise head banging problem.  ;) The only problem with this is taking your idea further. What happens if I have an item that is .2 of silver. Where does the change go?

This is something else worth noting when you make changes to the money system. You have to take into account that all the items are priced according to the Harp Fantasy system itself as a default. So if you are going to remove the Bronze and copper coins, then you should probably make sure that you change any item that is a fraction of a silver coin as to not make change that doesn't exist. In the end, it might be easier to just have your coins as an item on your character sheet that the player just has to keep track of.

Currently there are no XSD files for the XML files. I can create them. Perhaps I can have them available for version 1.0.2 which will get released when I have Martial Law finished. I think somewhere online there is an xml->xsd conversion program. That might be a short term fix.

One thing I think is important. I created AutoHARP to be very open and I definitely encourage the idea of customizing the databases. Just a few things to note: 1) realize that you need to backup your changes and keep track of what you changed. When you update AutoHARP and install new database updates, any information you changed in files that are a part of this update get overwritten. This is why I wanted to make it possible for people to create their own books and therefore get outside the generated files when making changes. 2) Some things might not be possible for a customization. Some compromises might have to be made.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 10:23:54 AM »
I already have customize equipment list with prices converted to my settings coinage, and I do have values that are 0.25, 0.5 and 0.75 silver.

Does autoHarp only integer values only?

If that's the case, I think I know a work around for this.