Author Topic: AutoHarp 1.0  (Read 35135 times)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
Re: AutoHarp 1.0
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 10:34:04 AM »
I'm sorry, what exactly do you mean by does autoHarp allow integer values only? Not sure what you are referring to.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 10:45:53 AM »
I have items that are worth 37.5 silver. How will autoHarp handle that value?

Am I correct to assume that the value amounts in the original items database are all in silver pieces?

As for making backups my changes, I actually copy the original xml file and rename it. I then change the items.xml file to point to my new file. If my understanding of how the database files are used, when I update the database to a new version I shouldn't lose any of my changes. I may have to correct the base file to point to my files again, but I can live with that.

The more I play around with it, the more I like it. :)

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 11:01:29 AM »
I just noticed that there are no bronze pieces in the core rules. It's just gp, sp and cp. (ref. pg 64 HARP Fantasy)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 11:01:39 AM »
Yes, the value amounts in the original items database file are in the base value silver. So a value of 2.5 is 2 silver and 5 bronze according to the money heirarchy. If you have nothing below it, I'm not sure how it will handle that. I would assume you will lose the .5 so I'm thinking it would be best not to have any floating points (or fraction values) making them all "full" integer values. In reality that's how your world will probably look at change anyways. That's is here in the States we have a penny but we don't have a half-penny and all prices do not reflect the half-penny. If the penny were removed we would have to make sure all prices are divisible by 5. I would expect you would have to do the same in your world.

You database fix is a great way to go. Yes, when you update the database it should ignore your file. All the setup does is copy files over, it doesn't delete anything. So your new file will remain in tact. You will just have to change the item.xml file, as you thought you would, every time you update. This is another great way to make a database change. In fact I think I might promote this idea as a way to make a more specific xml change. Thanks for sharing that idea.

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for the enhancement requests. It's always great to see people using AutoHARP in ways I never thought of.

edit: No Bronze pieces? My goof. I'll enter a ticket for that.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 11:47:34 AM »
I have a work around by adding to coins below silver that essentially comes to this:

<Money use="true">
      <MoneyName Multiply="0" IntoCoin="Gold">Gold</MoneyName>
      <MoneyName Multiply="24" IntoCoin="Silver">Silver</MoneyName>
      <MoneyName Multiply="2" IntoCoin="Half-Penny">Half-Penny</MoneyName>
      <MoneyName Multiply="2" IntoCoin="Farthing">Farthing</MoneyName>
</Money>

0.5 silver comes to 1 half-penny and 0.25 silver comes to a farthing. That won't match how the players use to coin system but it will come down to the same value. The coinage in my setting very very much inspired form actual medieval coins, but that is too complicated to track for my players to they only keep track of the real value of silver and gold coins, not the actual physical coins. They can end up with 12.75 silver after making purchases.

I can paste into the database my silver cost for items and it will work. Which is nice, but I won't be able to use the printed character sheet from autoHarp other than a reference to fill out a character sheet by hand. I can live with that.

I'm trying to figure out how autoHarp works so that I can use it with all the changes I made to Harp. It's looking good so far.

Another enhancement to be considered in the future is to have the possibility to add and modify the database straight from autoHarp interface so that users who are not familiar with xml won't have to figure it out to make changes.

Another discrepancy between the core rules and the database: Based on pg 13 HARP Fantasy, the Cleric spell sphere must now contain at least 5 spells out of 20. It is now a quarter not half. That was a change from the original, no error on your part.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 12:53:14 PM »
It's not as good as a purpose-built application, but XML Notepad is pretty useful for editing XML files. Free, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7973
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2013, 01:12:55 PM »
It's not as good as a purpose-built application, but XML Notepad is pretty useful for editing XML files. Free, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7973

That is nice. Thanks.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 01:34:20 PM »
For some reason I cannot install the updated harp sf database, there is an error opening the file it says.

Edit: Forget it. Me n00b llama.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2013, 06:50:59 PM »
Thanks for the link to an XML reader. I'll check that out and see how it works. An enhancement to have the database editable through AutoHARP is always on my mind but that's a "huge" project. I have so many other things on my plate AutoHARP wise it's certainly down the trough. the other problem is that, the whole point of making it XML was to make it customizable without the front end.  ;) I do plan to have a preferences application that will make adjustments to the preferences file, and even attach and detach books. Maybe this version, but most likely the next revision that might see the light of day.

Offline Thos

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2013, 01:26:44 AM »
Hello! My friend just purchased AutoHarpSF and is having trouble with it. It seems that only half the races and professions are showing up, Neither of us are computer brilliant so any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!  ;D
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine. Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief. Because I am the spirit of their existence. I am them.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2013, 05:48:46 AM »
Hello! My friend just purchased AutoHarpSF and is having trouble with it. It seems that only half the races and professions are showing up, Neither of us are computer brilliant so any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!  ;D

Sorry you are having trouble.

Which races? Are there only two races? Be sure to install the main application first (AutoHARP) then install the database after that (Harp Fantasy or Harp Sci-Fi). Be sure to install the database using the same installation path you used for AutoHARP.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2013, 07:57:22 AM »
Thanks for the link to an XML reader. I'll check that out and see how it works. An enhancement to have the database editable through AutoHARP is always on my mind but that's a "huge" project. I have so many other things on my plate AutoHARP wise it's certainly down the trough. the other problem is that, the whole point of making it XML was to make it customizable without the front end.  ;) I do plan to have a preferences application that will make adjustments to the preferences file, and even attach and detach books. Maybe this version, but most likely the next revision that might see the light of day.

XML notepad is nice, but I find it a lot easier to use notepad++ to update the files. And I have been doing a lot of that lately, it's easier to do the copy/paste to add stuff. I understand the scope of a front end for the database, I was thinking that could be something for version 2.

What programming language are you using?

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2013, 08:32:13 AM »
After looking at XML Notepad I concur that Notepad++ would be a lot easier. I currently use Stylus Studio however I have also been told XML Spy is also very good. Unfortunately the better XML readers out there cost money. :(

The programming language for AutoHARP is C++ with wxWidgets as wrappers for front end stuff. Almost everything behind the scenes is done in C++.  A database front end could be an idea for version 2. I actually plan to write up a front end that allows a user to attach and detach books now that Martial Law has been written. This was something I noticed would be good since players might want an easier way to include books into AutoHARP and since including books requires a little bit more work than just changing a node it might save considerable emails. ;)

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2013, 01:47:59 PM »
The programming language for AutoHARP is C++ with wxWidgets as wrappers for front end stuff. Almost everything behind the scenes is done in C++.  A database front end could be an idea for version 2. I actually plan to write up a front end that allows a user to attach and detach books now that Martial Law has been written. This was something I noticed would be good since players might want an easier way to include books into AutoHARP and since including books requires a little bit more work than just changing a node it might save considerable emails. ;)

Back when I was actively designing a program to manage characters, I considered having a property that would permit to hide anything that the user didn't want to use. The program would simply validate that property before displaying or using the item in question. You could use that sort of process, I guess.

I downloaded the source code. Once I'll have good look at it, I'll be able to give suggestions that are more inline with the code.

Of course, you may disregard anything I suggest. I won't be offended. ;)

Offline Chrillo

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2013, 06:46:48 PM »

Which races? Are there only two races? Be sure to install the main application first (AutoHARP) then install the database after that (Harp Fantasy or Harp Sci-Fi). Be sure to install the database using the same installation path you used for AutoHARP.

Ahoy! I'm the Friend Thos was talking about I installed the AutoHarp like you said and trying to install the SF database and keep getting an error

Error opening file for writing: C:\Program File (x86)\AutoHARP\Harp Databases\Harp Sci-Fi\Combat.xml and its the same for the Whole File install

sorry i'm being a little computer slow on this one

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2013, 06:16:05 AM »

Ahoy! I'm the Friend Thos was talking about I installed the AutoHarp like you said and trying to install the SF database and keep getting an error

Error opening file for writing: C:\Program File (x86)\AutoHARP\Harp Databases\Harp Sci-Fi\Combat.xml and its the same for the Whole File install

sorry i'm being a little computer slow on this one

Can you install the AutoHARP application okay? My guess there are write permissions that are getting fouled up. Be sure you can write to the directory you are installing to. To do this go the Harp Sci-Fi directory, right click for properties and goto Security and just make sure you can read and write to this file. Also you could try opening Combat.xml manually and just try to make a change and see if you can. If you can then i'm guessing the read/write attributes are set properly. Combat.xml is the first thing that is getting changed so my guess is this has something to do with write properties. I haven't received this error yet either, and I would guess this would be highly reported if it were an epidemic. So I'm hoping it's unique to you and therefore a permissions problem.

Again, sorry you have trouble. Hopefully this will help clear it up.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2013, 08:53:39 AM »
Another thing worth trying is to install under a different directory. Try the C drive and see if you get similar results.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2013, 08:54:36 AM »
I got the same error when installing the sf-database. Open it as administrator by right-clicking and you should be fine, at least that worked for me.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2013, 09:56:40 AM »
Hi Monk,

What do these values stand for in the BMR table?

<BMR>
          <HeightLow>01</HeightLow>
          <BMRValue>.2</BMRValue>
          <HeightHigh>40</HeightHigh>
      </BMR>

I initially though the height was in inches and the BMRValue was in feet/round, but the data doesn't match the BMR table in Harp.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2013, 11:48:10 AM »
Hi Monk,

It the culture xml, is it possible to give a choice of languages in the StartingLanguages section? As in the possibility to pick one language among a list where the ranks will go?