Author Topic: Forum permissions  (Read 2852 times)

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
Forum permissions
« on: October 28, 2013, 02:36:02 AM »
Hi,

I don't know whether it has always been like this, back in the days of the old forum, but I can't edit my own posts anymore in some sections.
I've posted an answer in the HARP section and I can't modify my post. Yet, I can for this very message  ::)
Is it normal? Is anyone experiencing the same issue? Or is it just me :/

Thanks for your help ;)

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Forum permissions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:40:54 AM »
There is a maximum time limit on modifying your posts.  This is to allow you to correct typo's and corrections, but not change the content in a way that would confuse or update history during an ongoing discussion. 

If there is specific content in a post that you realize needs to be updated (a link or page reference) then feel free to send me an IM and I'll review it and can update the posts.  I generally don't like updating other people's posts, but if it is a reasonable request, I will do so.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 10:31:09 AM »
Or as I have done.  Quote the post in question, then add errata, addenda, etc. just below.  If necessary, highlight specific text inside the quote, using bold and/or italic.  Even color.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »
There is a maximum time limit on modifying your posts.
Ok, I see now. I'm not quite sure why this is so (maybe about server issues :/ ) but I'm not going to complain ;)

The thing is, I've provided a link in a post for a GM who actually didn't want it to be too obvious.
I wanted to delete the link the following day, but obviously couldn't.
But that's ok, the guy said he'll manage the issue. No big deal in the end.

Thanks for the answers anyway ;)

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 02:53:24 PM »
Just send me a note and I can cut the link out of the post for you.

As for why, there may be a database concern, though I think it is really just a holdover from the old days where they didn't want people saying one thing and then later claiming that they never said it.  I've just never really changed it since I took over. 

Since we have an alternate solution (contact me via PM) there's no real reason to change it now.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com