Author Topic: ERA for RMFRP character generation issues  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Barwickian

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA for RMFRP character generation issues
« on: May 06, 2015, 02:21:47 AM »
I'm using the commercial release of ERA for RMFRP, with the Core/Character, Arms Law and Spell Law expansions.

The software appears to be skipping the options to pick Culture and Adolescent skill ranks - just leap straight into level 1 skill development. There appears to be no way to select a training package.

ERA forces me to use the optional talent/flaw cost system from Character Law, rather than the regular system.

It's possible there are some settings I'm missing (is there a way to set preferences?) Or are these issues which will be resolved in an update?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA for RMFRP character generation issues
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 07:31:11 AM »
Thanks for supporting the product and for posting your queries.

The culture and adolescent ranks steps are shown in the tutorial video for an unreleased version of ERA, which uses custom rules. This does not mean that it won't be included in future releases of the RMFRP ruleset, in which case all those who purchased the Character Law module will be able to download the update at no extra cost.

Training Packages are purchased during level up.
After clicking the "Level Up" button in the "Skills" tab in the "Character Sheet" module, you must click the "Spend Pack" button, which will ask for a name and cost.
Once completed, click the Accept button in the dialog.
This will reduce the number of DPs specified and add the chosen name to the "Development Packs" section in the "Information" tab. Then you must manually adjust any ranks gained.
The reason this is presented as Development Pack instead of Training Packaged is that many groups house rule additional situations for special training of skills, for example as presented in this month's article of Guild Companion.

Background options from the core rulebook can be represented with equivalent options from the talent list, unless I am missing some item.
For example, if the character gets a +1 Adder, you can choose the option "Spell Adder (+1)".
The main difference will be the cost and the total number of points.
You should enter the base number of background options (instead of the talent points) for the chosen race in the rightmost numeric field in the background option step during character creation. Then you should enter the "agreed cost" as 1 for most of the options.
Also, if there is any option missing, you can always enter a custom text in the "Custom Background" field, and enter 1 as the cost.
Remember that this is just a list of talent names, and will be added to the character notes, but the effect on the character must be adjusted manually during character development.

Future versions will surely include an improvement on this step, so that you can filter the list of options displayed at one time.

Let me know if these answers were helpful.

Offline Barwickian

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:51:00 AM »
Thanks, Voriig. I must have missed the Add Pack button.

Is adding the culture and adolescence skills something you're looking at for the near future? I regard that as pretty much an essential step before I adopt ERA for live use (and I'm keen to use it, because I'm very impressed with how it worked with  the test characters I made and test combats I ran last night).

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 04:25:13 PM »
Just to clarify, the concept of "culture" in the core RMFRP books applies only to humans.
The cultures shown in the custom RMFRP ruleset tutorial on YouTube are based on the Races and Cultures book, which is not intended to be included in the ERA packages available on RPGNow.

I am sure that in the near future, I will be adding some feature related to adolescence ranks during character creation, and most likely that would also include cultures for humans, as seen in the RMFRP Character Law.

If there is interest in the content of Races and Cultures as files for ERA, please let me know, so that I can plan ahead the content of future updates and/or  additional packages.

Which one were you referring to?

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 02:54:08 PM »
Adolescent and culture skills are an intrigal part of character development. I cannot imaging creating PC's without this core feature. as this is a feature for RMSS and RMFRP which is similar in content it is a must.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline dranthor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 08:13:16 PM »
I want to know how customable it is. I have races and classes not part of RMSS I also use the elemental spell book from RM1 modified for the RMSS. Also I use some furturistic skills from Space Master? Would I be able to add those in easily?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 09:39:10 PM »
I want to know how customable it is. I have races and classes not part of RMSS I also use the elemental spell book from RM1 modified for the RMSS. Also I use some furturistic skills from Space Master? Would I be able to add those in easily?

Adding races is quite easy, adding professions and skills requires some fine tuning, but it can be done.
For any of those tasks, I recommend the advanced customization thread, where you will find the answer to your questions, and you can also ask for more details if needed.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 12:49:02 PM »
Adolescent and culture skills are an intrigal part of character development. I cannot imaging creating PC's without this core feature. as this is a feature for RMSS and RMFRP which is similar in content it is a must.

Edit: Just got the RMSS/RMFRP version and see how to modify for hobby skills and Adolescent. Is there a way to include these as part of the initial development or just after level up to 1st level is completed?
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 12:15:57 PM »
In the current version hobby and adolescent skills should be increased manually.
After you complete character creation and go to the character sheet, click on the edit icon to the left of each skill you want to increase, manually change the number of ranks, and finally click on the save changes icon for the skill.
Then you should be ready to level up, click the level up, assign your DPs, click the check icon to confirm the level up. Now you have a complete lvl 1 character.

A future version will include culture selection and hobby rank assignment as part of the character creation, similar to what can be seen in the custom ruleset tutorial video.