Author Topic: Purchasing RM2  (Read 2064 times)

Offline IronSoul_AMS

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Purchasing RM2
« on: November 10, 2015, 09:15:04 PM »
Where can I purchase RM2? Drivethrurpg does not sell it, and only amazon has it at an outrageous price.

Is there any other online RPG store that has it on PDF? Or a hardcover that isnt 40 bucks?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Purchasing RM2
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 10:11:06 PM »
RM2 is out of print, you can buy RMC which is essentially RM2.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 12:35:16 AM »
You can find good amount on Amazon for around the $10 range to $20 range, some dropping down to $5 or up to $30, and occasionally up to $40 and $60 in some cases.  I'm sure you'll end up paying the usual $4 shipping on them all (or more if they're trying to gouge on shipping).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 03:48:11 AM »
Where can I purchase RM2? Drivethrurpg does not sell it, and only amazon has it at an outrageous price.

Is there any other online RPG store that has it on PDF? Or a hardcover that isnt 40 bucks?

If you want RM2, then you buy RM Classic.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline IronSoul_AMS

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 08:25:11 AM »
I have noticed RM2 is still so heavily played over other variants and editions-Why is this so?

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 09:12:15 AM »
RM2 is what most of us started on.  The core 3 book publication (mine was the red box) offers a lot of material- and the companions and later publications allowed for a lot of customization options.  If you are looking to buy RM2 I would buy RMC which is basically an updated version of RM2 with some of the optional rules from RMSS added in too if I recall. 
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »
In my opinion, RM2/RMC is simpler in some ways (e.g. skills) and there is lots of optional material to choose from.

RMSS/RMFRP is better organized and better balanced, the various pieces work together with less fiddling. Character generation is more complex, e.g. with skills and skill categories, and training packages. (I think actual play is basically the same complexity.)

If you compare the supplementary material (companions) in the two editions, the RM2/RMC material is kind of like a kit from which you can assemble a system. Whereas RMSS/RMFRP has companions with clear unified themes, and for the most part you can adopt them without issues. (I might except Fire & Ice from that, since it changes the elemental theory quite a bit. It's cool but will have more impact if you choose to adopt it.)
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 12:46:59 PM »
I have noticed RM2 is still so heavily played over other variants and editions-Why is this so?
Over the years, from what I've seen here on the forums, it seems fairly evenly split between RM2 (& RMC) and RMSS (& RMFRP).

RMC is the slightly updated version of RM2, but not everything could be reproduced due to legal issues.  If you're a long time RM2 user I'd say pickup RMC.  If you're a new RM user trying to learn the system I'd say look at RMSS/RMFRP or possibly wait for RMU (at this point I couldn't say if it would be easier to learn RM using it instead of RMSS/RMFRP).

I think you see RM2 played heavily still because of two primary issues.  Firstly, I suspect the nature of long time RM users tenancy to be fairly veteran gamers and their propensity to customize, often results in their not seeing a need up buy the 'new' version.  Secondly no version of RM has matched the variety of material published under RM2 (which further contributes to the first point).
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 01:50:48 PM »
One thing I did not see covered and it is one of the main complaints that I have heard from the people I played RM2 with and my RMSS players is the fact the RM2 tends to not scale as well to higher levels. If you do not care about that it is not a big deal but if you have campaigns that stretch from low levels to high levels it was a problem for them.
Note you may have a different opinion as most people do on power levels but at level 10 going forward in RM2 was where they say the most problems.

MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 01:57:55 PM »
That's an interesting observation.  We never used RM2 as a full on, complete system (we either stacked it on top of something else or converted it's materials to RMSS) so we never had the chance to see how it worked at higher levels in comparison to RMSS.  I find many more RM users play to lower levels than I would have guessed (8-12 seems the be the average range).  So I can see, even if it is a problem, where many would not have run into it.
- Cory Magel

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 12:42:54 PM »
We rarely played RM2 beyond 20th with only one campaign going to 30+. RM2 worked well for us with no perceived problems for us up to 20th. We did mostly play up about 15th though.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 04:51:51 AM »
Ebay and places like that there often is full collection of RM2.
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)