Author Topic: HARP SF Sniping Questions  (Read 2504 times)

Offline joel.lovell

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Author
    • Machinimagine
HARP SF Sniping Questions
« on: November 29, 2015, 10:39:09 PM »
The skill says, "Failure results in the foe knowing that the character is there, removing any further opportunity of the use of this skill at this time."

Does this mean that as long as the character continues to make a successful 'sniping' roll, that subsequent shots benefit from the damage increase, positional modifiers (i.e. height, flank, rear), ignoring damage cap?

I would assume surprise would be lost even with success with the sniping skill on subsequent rounds?

Does flank add together with rear?

Do you NOT get the positional modifiers of flank, height, rear without the sniping skill?

Do you have to use the well-aimed or careful aim tactics to use sniping skill?

What are the defensive options for a PC / NPC against a successful sniping attack?

Do they get perception to avoid being surprised?

Does the "Sudden Dodge: This Combat Action is usable at any time." apply during a surprise attack?

Fate points?

Lastly - it seems if you have a high sniping skill, and a high ranged weapon OB, that you could skip using 'well-aimed' to gain the +10 damage bonus, since sniping skill allows you to ignore cap on damage anyway. I mean, why lower the attack roll by 20 just to gain 10 damage - that 20 OB would be better served as part of the roll. Right?

For that matter, no need for hollow points either  - that -10OB to get +10 damage is going to already be added into the roll, why lower total OB if the number is your damage total anyway? That is, if sniping allows you to ignore damage caps, then basically, no need for increased damage actions.

Thanks!

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Re: HARP SF Sniping Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 08:10:55 PM »
Thats a good question Joel,

I've always ran it as on a failed sniping check the shooter revealed themselves.  On a success enemies could try to make a perception check at -50 (for perception checks while distracted in combat) as per normal during their turn.  The -50 makes it very unlikely that they will beat the target number for a halfway competent shooter.

I don't think flank and rear add, but unaware and rear do.

I think the positional modifier is used in general not just for sniping.

See the sniper before they shoot, have good armor, and get lucky seem to be the best defenses against snipers I've found.  Failing that don't forget your Fate points.

A competent sniper with a good scope against an unaware target is very bad news for the target.  I believe the only thing that has cost my players more fate points was a 12 tube anti-vehicle missile battery armed with nuclear tipped missiles.

I do usually give my players a perception check against the sniper, but if they aren't actively looking for them I give them the -50 distracted penalty.

I would have to look on the sudden dodge.  I would probably give it to my players just to avoid being too viscous to them.  But I don't know the official rule on that one.

And yes in my opinion the sniping and ambush skills biggest benefit is the lifting of the damage cap.  The rest of it is pretty minor for the most part.

I'm looking forward to seeing the official rules on this!

Best Regards
-Pyrotech

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 03:15:52 PM »
The skill says, "Failure results in the foe knowing that the character is there, removing any further opportunity of the use of this skill at this time."

Does this mean that as long as the character continues to make a successful 'sniping' roll, that subsequent shots benefit from the damage increase, positional modifiers (i.e. height, flank, rear), ignoring damage cap?

No. You get one go. If the character succeeds or fails.

I would assume surprise would be lost even with success with the sniping skill on subsequent rounds?

Yes.

Does flank add together with rear?

Yes.

Do you NOT get the positional modifiers of flank, height, rear without the sniping skill?

If you have the right position, you can get them, but an aware foe may not be willing to give you that position.

Do you have to use the well-aimed or careful aim tactics to use sniping skill?

No.

What are the defensive options for a PC / NPC against a successful sniping attack?

Perception. Psionics. Armor. Fast Medicine.

Do they get perception to avoid being surprised?

Yes.

Does the "Sudden Dodge: This Combat Action is usable at any time." apply during a surprise attack?

Yes.

Fate points?

Always.

Lastly - it seems if you have a high sniping skill, and a high ranged weapon OB, that you could skip using 'well-aimed' to gain the +10 damage bonus, since sniping skill allows you to ignore cap on damage anyway. I mean, why lower the attack roll by 20 just to gain 10 damage - that 20 OB would be better served as part of the roll. Right?
For that matter, no need for hollow points either  - that -10OB to get +10 damage is going to already be added into the roll, why lower total OB if the number is your damage total anyway? That is, if sniping allows you to ignore damage caps, then basically, no need for increased damage actions.

If you can use sniping,  and all that entails, then you don't need the other stuff. But in a firefight when you can't use sniping because everyone is aware, then the other stuff comes into play.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline joel.lovell

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Author
    • Machinimagine
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 07:07:38 AM »

Sorry for being dense - do you mean to say that sniping has no benefit after a successful use of the skill?

If so, then would a successful stalk:hide maanuever to change position allow the sniping skill to be used again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 01:23:08 PM »

Sorry for being dense - do you mean to say that sniping has no benefit after a successful use of the skill?

If so, then would a successful stalk:hide maanuever to change position allow the sniping skill to be used again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would need a significant adjustment in position for a sniping reset.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme