Author Topic: A Question or Two  (Read 1853 times)

Offline WyldeRose

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
A Question or Two
« on: December 16, 2015, 11:52:20 AM »
Hello first time poster here,

I've been lurking about for sometime here on this forum after deciding that I wanted to give my hand at running a RMSS/FRP game for my family and a few friends.  The forum has been a good help with a number of questions that pop up that have been discussed already in this thread.

Been really helpful in how to translate some D&D modules over to Rolemaster but usually that ends up with me just resorting to my Creatures and Monsters book and finding something close or picking something new all together.  Same goes for some of the NPCs mentioned in said module, tend to just remake them-- helps me in familiarizing myself with the system once again, its been a long time since I touched Rolemaster and RMSS was the system of choice before we started picking up the FRP books.  And well the rest of those playing are new to the system as well excluding my husband.

But to get to the chase, the one thing that I have had trouble dealing with, and I should note, I was never a D&D player.  All the modules and such are things that my husband had, inherited from close friends and other items that friends just threw at him cause they knew how much of a collector he was of the fantasy genre, regardless of systems.  He has in his collection some of the older Rolemaster systems which is what got me intrigued, I am a big Tolkien fan afterall. 

My first introduction to D&D was via Pathfinder and that was just last month.   ::)  So I'm not very savvy when it comes to D&D/Pathfinder rulings and I was a bit blase to be honest about the thing, I love the depth one can take when making a Rolemaster character.  I don't like the feeling of 'confinement' that D&D/Pathfinder brings out in me.   But yes, anyways, a module that I'm currently looking to do for my group is a D&D module and in a dungeon it has an item, or rather 2 items that I actually like one is an enchanted torch -- which can in my opinion for Rolemaster are torches with a spell from Light Law in particular Light V having been embedded into said torch (which happens to be mounted to the walls) and thus never goes out hence the name Enchanted Torch, Rolemaster style at least.  ;)

The object I am having troubles with is Magic Mouth.  Now I see it in regards to the door knocker if anyone is familiar with the movie Labyrinth.  The Magic Mouth speaks a Riddle (yeah I should mention I couldn't figure out what skill to toss Riddle Solving under either and do not wish to create new Skills at this juncture since characters creation night with those playing has come and gone, so basically looking at it for the moment an open d100 + Lore-General Skill Cat Bonus + or in this case - penalties set for asking for my assistance still trying to tweak this particular system, Riddle Solving will become a new addition I think to dungeon runs if they fit the run that is.)  Back to the Magic Mouth itself, the speaking of the Riddle the closest spell I could figure to fit was from the Spell Law book Astrologer Base page 271  - Waiting Voice.

I suppose I am asking, is this appropriate or is there another spell that could be placed into such an object of Magic Mouth.  One of my players his character is an Alchemist, an Artificer you may as well say and will no doubt be intrigued with not only the Enchanted Torch but the Magic Mouth as well.  Given time, patience, and possibly if he can learn said spell - or possibly create a copy of the spell is this feasible?  That is how I deal with most of his empty spell slots, he researches said spell, have to find someone who has access to it and see it in action then he has to go through the process of figuring out how to apply it to his realm of study.  He's Essence base as a fyi and I seek not to let him have access to the spell list that certain items has spell embedded into them from.  Put to use the Spell Research and devise the spell, most definitely the weaker version of the original if he is aiming to fill a low level empty spell slot.

Another example of this is for instance the Bag of Holding from D&D in Rolemaster there is the Dimensional Pack a level 50 spell.  Of course the character does not have access to a level 50 spell.  Using the Treasure Companion Essence Alchemist -- there are open Spell Lists in Own Realm Imbedding and General Enchantments.  Taking the premise of the Dimensional Pack, he could indeed if introduced to a Bag of Holding in a game, is well aware of the rare Dimensional Pack but to see a smaller weaker version in existence (and the first one to be seen at that as that is how it was introduce since the player wished to make a Bag of Holding in Rolemaster but didn't know how to go about it), well now he has all the more reason to start researching and figuring out how it is done thus he can have a weaker version of the Dimensional Pack and paying mind to the different versions of Bag of Holding, we have in Rolemaster those versions of the spells included by making the Dimensional Pack be the ultimate, very sought after higher end rare bag and the Artificer can make small ones and of course make some good money and earn himself some nice prestige in the process in the eye of not just his fellow but the Wizard's Enclave and Guild that exists.

But to wrap up here, I wasn't able to track anything down but there are a number of other rather interesting items in D&D that would be great in Rolemaster.  Are there any steps or suggestions to go about transferring such items from D&D/Pathfinder to Rolemaster? 

Thanks for reading.  Sorry for the length once I got started more things popped up.  lol  OH and if you have any suggestions on dealing with Riddle Solving in Rolemaster, I'm all ears.  Thanks again!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: A Question or Two
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 06:04:41 PM »
Whew. Welcome  :D

Magic Mouth sounds like an audible illusion . Check the Illusionist base list. Check out keying magic items in Treasure Companion .

Your magic torch is fine. It could also be enchanted Constant and keyed to turn off and active.

Bag of Holding could use a dimensional room spell. One exist on RMC I's arcane list ETHEREAL MASTERY.

Language skill checks are perfect for solving riddles. Cryptography can work too. I had a player take Mental Games once or thrice.

RMSS/FRP rocks. Have fun.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 05:54:50 AM »
The illusionist base lists also have the 'waiting' variations of spells. These can deliver short preprogrammed texts and gives you the visible mouth for the spell.

Spell research is definitely the way to go. The player could start by researching lower level spells and building up to the bag of holding. Remember you can have as many spells at any particular level as you want on a list. E.g. You can have three first level spells on the same list. You are not restricted to just filling in the blanks.

If yoru player wants to have magic to move kit and treasure around then a copy of the D&D Tenser's floating Disc is good starting place.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 09:44:51 AM »
As an item the Magic Mouth could be imbued with intelligence. Maybe it requires the soul of a Red Skeleton?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline WyldeRose

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, I did get a little carried away.   ;D

The illusionist base lists also have the 'waiting' variations of spells. These can deliver short preprogrammed texts and gives you the visible mouth for the spell.

Spell research is definitely the way to go. The player could start by researching lower level spells and building up to the bag of holding. Remember you can have as many spells at any particular level as you want on a list. E.g. You can have three first level spells on the same list. You are not restricted to just filling in the blanks.

If yoru player wants to have magic to move kit and treasure around then a copy of the D&D Tenser's floating Disc is good starting place.

Now I didn't realize that you can have as many first level spells on the same list.  That certainly is quite the idea and would give my player of the Artificer more to work with, he is one of those who is a knowledge and exploration nerd.  He is happiest when he can pick up and turn things about in his hands, to figure out how to to pull those things off.  Not much in combat but he can take care of the party when it comes to gear and such.  So the spell researching and knowing that you can clearly have more spells at certain levels will make him a rather happy camper.  SO for that, I thank you.

Bag of Holding could use a dimensional room spell. One exist on RMC I's arcane list ETHEREAL MASTERY.

Language skill checks are perfect for solving riddles. Cryptography can work too. I had a player take Mental Games once or thrice.

As the Illusionist base list was mentioned twice here, I'll definitely look that over.  I must have missed that one in my rush through.  :)  I believe I should have RMC I in the library here, so will take a look at the arcane list as well as checking out the D&D Tenser's floating disc.  Considering the traveling Artificer does want to find a way to be able to have his necessary equipment for doing work when the party is out on the field.  This will definitely make him a happy camper to find out that there might be a way to achieve such. 

Now I hadn't considered that the magic mouth may possess a soul, which could be rather appropriate considering what happen.  One of the party members did a stupid and read from the book of well you may as well consider it the Necronomicon.  Not only did he read from it then he spoke the true name of a Demon Lord of Death and Undeath... so yes, the dungeon in question filled with well the returned dead.  You would have thought the Paladin would have known better than to do such but hey!  So thank you for the suggest about the Red Skeleton, time to go do some research.

Thanks for all the help it has been very educational.