Author Topic: Tanara, Elves & religions  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Syssiah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World Addict
Tanara, Elves & religions
« on: December 20, 2015, 11:57:34 AM »
Hi there,

Following the lead of one of your elder member, I double post this in the SW section.

I'm actually reading the contnt of the complex Shadow World, and I am needing some hints, GM wise.

One of my player is willing to play as a wood elf, been an heir of a Lord or elf hero of some kind.
As I'm going to start the campaign in Tanara, I'm having several questions, because I didn't read anything about elven communities in tanara.
So, if I have to make him wreck his boat/ship on Tanara's coast, so be it. But What are the best origin place for such a Wood elf ?

And i saw that in Tanara, their are very singular gods, and that the Orhan pantheon is only represented through Phaon.
Does that mean a paladin of -say Valris - would have difficult time with the Tanaran religions ?

Which made me wonder : do the Elves of SW believe in some Gods ? If yes, which ones ?
I'm going to read Emer when I get more time, but if someone can point the right chapter to me, I'd appreciate the help ^^
Same for choosing a proper Elf Lord or hero he might be the heir.

Any advise will be welcome.

in advance again, thank you !

Offline Arc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Tanara, Elves & religions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 06:25:24 PM »
While there is no great elven realm any longer in Tanara, there is one just off the coast in Urulan. In my own version of SW there are still a few small elven enclaves in Tanara. Your PC could be an heir to one such enclave, or maybe he is an heir to the throne of Urulan. The Artifacts of the Six Realms of Jaiman could play a role in your campaign.

The elves tend to believe in the entire pantheon of Orhan, although different deities have a different 'standing' or importance to them, e.g. the Erlin tend to be closest to Iloura, the Laan to Iorak, the Linaer to Jaysek and Kieron, etc. All this might also vary by proffesion, region, culture, etc. Most of the gods in Tanara are actually the Orhan pantheon with a different name, e.g. Iloura is called (Illyla, if I remember correctly). So, a paladin of Valris could be perfectly acceptable (at least imo). A Paladin of Valris could be e.g. a paladin of the Order of Light...

Offline Syssiah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World Addict
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 07:53:11 AM »
Thank you for the reply and infos Arc :)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 02:56:12 AM »
Well, looking at the Cloudlords of Tanara book I see that there are several areas where sulini (half-elves) communities exist; perhaps he is from one of those but got the luck of the genetic draw and while technically sulini, is for all intents and purposes a full-blooded wood elf. That could be why he is "heir" because only a full-blooded elf can be so. This could present multiple opportunities for him - and those around him as they try to use him, the unwashed farmers kid thrust into the "big-leagues."
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.