Author Topic: Experience Points for Resisting Spells  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Experience Points for Resisting Spells
« on: January 20, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »
I am going to use the old school experience guidelines where you get XP for crits, hit points etc... but don't see any XP for resisting spell effects.  My immediate thought is to award 1/2 the equivalent spell points (so a level 1 resisting a level 1 would receive 1/2 of 100 XP = 50XP)

Anyone have another suggestion?
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Experience Points for Resisting Spells
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 11:56:29 AM »
whenever a player rolls dice, those are exp. Mnv's, attacks , rr's, crits, etc. all exp.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 12:08:02 PM »
I think so too- but I don't know that there is an official rule for awarding XP for resisting a spell, only casting one...hence the query.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 01:52:27 PM »
I personally would not give any experience UNLESS the character had activey done something to increase their chances of resisting. In any case I would not add more exp into the account I would just allocate some of the idea points to that character for their actions.

You could end up with a situation where the character doesn't know the spell has been cast, they resist and earn experience without 'experiencing' anything. How has the character learned from that?
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 02:10:04 PM »
OK, but the adage of whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger applies to almost every XP award in RM. A character of any level takes an A crit- they receive 100 XP; you might not have seen it coming, but you still get the XP.  As an observation.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 02:39:46 PM »
It's a rare critical where you aren't even aware it occurred. That's much more common with RRs, as Peter notes.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 08:21:58 AM »
If the PC is actively resisting the spell somehow; concentration, counterspell, moving around to not be an easy target, distractions, etc.  Why not award 50%-75% the caster would receive for successfully casting the spell?

I award for resisting spells, but using an entirely Elemental Companion - Magic based world, most spell resists consist of "get the heck out of the way of that <insert element name here> bolt coming at you!!!"

If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!