Author Topic: Evil cleric vs magician  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Rolemasterman

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Evil cleric vs magician
« on: January 21, 2016, 03:16:13 PM »
We have a high level evil cleric, who has cast Cancel Essence and Cancel Mentalism via Spell Shield 2 on the spell defense list open channeling, our magician has a Cancel Channeling sphere via dispelling ways closed Essence, if both casters walk within 10 ft of each others which one trumps the others, which one affects the others first? any ideas? or thoughts?

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Evil cleric vs magician
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 06:07:21 PM »
Please take my response with a grain of salt, I haven't played RM for a while now and have likely forgotten lots of stuff.

I would likely give the magician-PC an EM* RR based upon the enemy cleric's level vs. the magician-PCs level, probably further modified by -10 or -15 because the cleric has 2 cancel spells going. Alternately, you could use their respective bonuses in the used spell lists, making it an opposed roll (modified by the level difference: -5 per level difference to the lower level individual) and the higher roll wins. In this case, the cleric could roll twice, once for each cancel, which means they can succeed at one and not the other (provided that is an option for you).

*This is the magicians spellcasting stat (right?), which is why I am using it.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 08:22:13 PM »
Assuming they have the same radius, I would resolve the RRs simultaneously. Possibly resulting in all of them being dispelled!

If one has a larger radius, the larger spell would not be subject to being dispelled until the smaller one reached its center point. So, the larger spell could potentially dispel the smaller one without risk to itself.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 09:33:48 AM »
This would be a spell VS spell effect no matter what both spells would be subject the the canceling effect if failing the RR. In the case of 2 spells though the first one case would be the last to be effected as the other spell or second in this case would be the first layer in contact with the spell. The distance has nothing to do with which spell would be affected if they had different radius or area of effect as they still encounter one another.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Rolemasterman

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 06:21:29 PM »
As listed in spell law, they both have the same radius of 10 ft.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 09:49:12 PM »
You said the magician has "Cancel Channeling sphere". I assume you meant "Dispel Channeling Sphere" because "Cancel Channeling" isn't a sphere and doesn't have a radius. Also, "Cancel Channeling" only blocks spells that target the caster, in my opinion that wouldn't trigger here at all.

"Dispel Channeling Sphere" comes in versions I, V, and X with varying radius (10, 50, 100).

Spell Shield II.... hmm, that has an area of effect of "caster" and doesn't dispel other spells, it only subtracts from spell attack rolls and allows parrying of one spell attack.

So...  Cancel Channeling vs Spell Shield II: there's no effect. Neither spell effects the other. Both remains in effect if the casters target each other with attack spells.

Or... Dispel Channeling Sphere vs Spell Shield II: Spell Shield II may be dispelled. It would be reasonable to subtract the 10 from the BAR roll for Dispel Channeling Sphere, but Spell Shield II won't under any circumstances get rid of the Dispel Channeling Sphere.

Or... Dispel Channeling Sphere I vs Dispel Essence I (picking a likely spell that dispels other spells in a radius), both have a 10' radius, I would give them simultaneous chances to dispel each other.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Rolemasterman

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 01:30:20 AM »
you are correct i should have said Dispel Chan Sphere 1 10 ft radius thanks for the help.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 03:36:03 PM »
I'm with tbigness here.  Differing radius don't matter, they still come into contact with each other at the same time and would be subject to each other at that point.  Now, if you had a different spell (not a cancel/dispell) with a wider radius it might be impacted before the two cancels/dispells come into contact.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss