Author Topic: Alternate stat for initiative  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Alternate stat for initiative
« on: March 14, 2016, 10:27:41 PM »
Hi all, ran into an issue last game. Since Qu is the 'god' stat, I took it out. I now use In and Qu averaged. This gives a blend of caster and mêlée stats for initiative. One of my players now complains it gives an unfair advantage to rogues\thieves and channelers. I was thinking about adding an individual stat for JUST initiative that would have nothing to do with any of the other stats... that way, combat isn't weighted toward mêlée or casters. I tried using SD, but that affects all elves. Me and Re won't work because it gives unfair advantages to casters. Has anyone tried a completely separate stat for initiative?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Alternate stat for initiative
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 10:57:08 PM »
qu for melee, realm star for spell casting.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 02:27:42 AM »
I’ve moved to simultaneous actions. All actions in a phase (I play SM2) are simultaneous unless:
  • You actually make the first move. “Action beats reaction”. If there is some sort of stand off before the action begins, the one who first makes the choice to move gains initiative that phase. This does not come into play very often.
  • You are under the effects of some type of stun critical, causing you to loose the initiative
  • You can gain some advantage with spells, quick draw etc.

-Terry

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 11:57:59 PM »
Physical Initiative: Qu/Ag/In
Mental Initiative: (Realm)/Qu/Re
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 11:08:51 AM »
I like to go with Cory's physical initiative model, only slightly altered: (Qu+Ag+In)/3 then add +2 per 5 (full) ranks in their highest weapon skill (yes, you can substitute ranks in highest spell list with combat spells, such as firebolt, lightning bolt, etc... for spellcasters). This represents the best, most realistic aspects. Quickness (duh), Agility for how well you move, Intuition for that "6th sense"/natural instinct aspect and the skill ranks because the more skilled/experienced one is, the faster they are to react in combat. Instead of the number of ranks, just go with +2 per 5 (full) levels if you don't want to count ranks.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.