Author Topic: Frenzy skill  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Frenzy skill
« on: July 18, 2016, 06:56:08 PM »
In my campaign I allow a person who is in frenzy to roll to cancel it. They make an open-ended roll and add their SD mod or Frenzy stat mod, whichever is highest.

what do you think? overly powerful or balanced?

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Frenzy skill
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 07:00:08 PM »
Which system re you using?

In RM2 Companion II there is a skill in the concentration section called "Control Lycanthropy"

I Let players develop this as a general "Mental Control" Or "Will Power" skill that gives them the ability to attempt to control/Break things like Lycanthropy, Frenzy, bonus to break or resist Mind control, and so forth.
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 07:02:48 PM »
Which system re you using?

In RM2 Companion II there is a skill in the concentration section called "Control Lycanthropy"

I Let players develop this as a general "Mental Control" Or "Will Power" skill that gives them the ability to attempt to control/Break things like Lycanthropy, Frenzy, bonus to break or resist Mind control, and so forth.

Fast reply! yes i use RMCII rules for skills.
i just wondered what other GMs do. If players had no control of frenzy i dont think it would get used very often.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 11:11:51 AM »
If there is foes to attack you need to make a very good perception roll to be allowed to unfrenzy!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 11:18:37 AM »
The option of a role to cancel it is stated in the description of the skill itself (RM2 Character and Campaign Law, red band edition, p. 85):

Once in a frenzied state, a character may make a static maneuver each round in order to resume his normal state.

The text is repeated in RM2. So are you just asking what sort of maneuver it should be, and what difficulty?

I think the way you do it is fine, and even conforms to the rules as written.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 07:59:26 PM »
The option of a role to cancel it is stated in the description of the skill itself (RM2 Character and Campaign Law, red band edition, p. 85):

Once in a frenzied state, a character may make a static maneuver each round in order to resume his normal state.

The text is repeated in RM2. So are you just asking what sort of maneuver it should be, and what difficulty?

great. was wondering what others were doing with this skill. its powerful. so looks like im using a static action. this could be further modified by the situation i guess. depends how worked up and angry they are. as it stands the player that is using it needs to roll pretty high already so it seems balanced.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 08:21:10 PM »

great. was wondering what others were doing with this skill. its powerful. so looks like im using a static action. this could be further modified by the situation i guess. depends how worked up and angry they are. as it stands the player that is using it needs to roll pretty high already so it seems balanced.

Yeah, it is powerful, but remember the rest of the description in Companion II as well: as long as there is anyone else standing, the frenzied character takes a -30 to his/her perception roll to tell friend from foe. That is pretty harsh. So if they fail the roll to end Frenzy, there is a good likelihood that they might attack a friend. Only when there is no one else standing does the frenzied character get a +30 to the roll to end the Frenzy. So it can be quite dangerous to allies.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 12:08:40 AM »

Yeah, it is powerful, but remember the rest of the description in Companion II as well: as long as there is anyone else standing, the frenzied character takes a -30 to his/her perception roll to tell friend from foe. That is pretty harsh. So if they fail the roll to end Frenzy, there is a good likelihood that they might attack a friend. Only when there is no one else standing does the frenzied character get a +30 to the roll to end the Frenzy. So it can be quite dangerous to allies.

This happned in a recent campaign adventure. PC in frenzy took out an enemy and then the next round took out a friendly NPC. he made his static action roll after that but he was about to mow through some more friendlies, 2 of them were PCs!

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 06:38:13 PM »

just revisiting this topic.
i have some confusion over static action and static manouvre
because frenzy is a concentration skill i assumed this meant a d100 roll +stat/mods was needed to cancel frenzy, is that correct?

Do some GMs choose a difficulty and use the moving/manouvre table for canceling frenzy?
Or do you just use a regular static action?
Do players get to add their frenzy bonus to the coming out of frenzy attempt or do they use SD?