Author Topic: Spicing Up Melee Combat - RMFRP  (Read 1353 times)

Offline chippermonks

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spicing Up Melee Combat - RMFRP
« on: July 28, 2016, 11:48:47 AM »
Hey team!

My playgroup is ramping up for another campaign, set in the Shades of Darkness setting for RMFRP. However, we generally play for a very long time, causing players to get to very high levels. Casters always get the joy of expanding into other spell lists and unique spell research and all that jazz, but the players that stick to arms only classes tend to feel a bit left behind in the long run. To make matters worse, long combat like boss battles often seems to feel a bit dull for them ("I hit it" next round "I hit it again" ad infinitum).

Does any have any suggestions for spicing up melee combat? I am not opposed to blending systems (which is why I didn't post this directly under RMFRP). We also generally play via webcam (Google Hangouts, to be exact) so using figurines and maps to spice it up isn't really an option. We do generally use MS paint to show location and stuff via screen-sharing when the time comes for positioning.

Options I've considered borrowing the Multiple Attacks, Protect and Called Shots rules from RMU to give melee fighters a few more options in combat. Any other ideas? I want the melee players to feel a bit more involved in combat.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spicing Up Melee Combat - RMFRP
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 01:15:06 PM »
I have Combat Companion which has different types of attacks although if you don't have it that will be an issue. I use Martial Arts Companion for creating Weapon Styles which helps blend advantages for different styles and different scenarios. Other wise I use the rules for monks in the ARMS LAW appendix in the back of the book where it gives penalties for striking 2 times against a single opponent or hitting more than one opponent in a single round. I put this pending on Ranks required to get the features. This also has a balance due to the penalty for attempting these manuevers. I would also put in weapon combo with Trip type of attacks (Unbalance or Sweeps and Throws Rank I) and weapon.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 02:06:35 PM »
I like the weapon styles in MAC but they do have the downside that for full use you need to have them at the same level as your OB skill, and that makes them hard to pick up at higher level. That will make things more interesting but you're not learning new tricks.

RMU's combat expertise skills (using the rules that they go with, e.g. the Protect skill for the protect action) are better in that regard, although they don't have as many different tricks as the MAC offered (yet!).

Another option would be to add MAC style abilities gradually. For example, you could develop a style that starts with only 10 points of abilities and adds another 5 points of abilities for every 3 ranks you develop in the style.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 02:28:40 PM »
Did any Rolemaster system ever develop rules for things like what Dungeons and Dragons calls 'Bull Rush' (an attempt to push an opponent back)? I can't remember if we houseruled that or were actually following a RM book. Anyhoo, some basic rules for things like trip and bull rush would be good.

And of course, as others have noted, the RMU rules for Protect, Subdual, Disarm, and Multiple attacks can give fighters added tools.

You also might make your players more aware (if they don't use them already) of Adrenal Moves.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »
You had Blocking and Tackling in both of the  Martial Arts Category. The use of Feinting and Disarm skills are always great additions. There is even a talent that gives a free Sweep attack in conjunction to a normal attack (Trained Footman).
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline chippermonks

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 04:37:45 PM »
Great suggestions so far!

I do love MAC, I will have to look into applying the weapon styles (used to only use the martial arts styles). I like the notion of gradually building a style; that could give players a bit more ownership, rather than picking a style out of a list.

And in reference to Bull Rush; I believe RMC1 had rules for charging, but I am not familair with the RMFRP version.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 11:54:11 PM »
Love the MAC.  Don't use it much as-is, however it definitely inspired us to customize things for arms users more.

PM me an email and I can send you a Weapon Styles system I worked up.  If, like may RM users, you don't use Exhaustion Points you can use this for them instead.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss