Author Topic: How quickly do players heal in your campaign?  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How quickly do players heal in your campaign?
« on: February 02, 2017, 12:53:07 AM »
how fast do characters heal in your game?

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How quickly do players heal in your campaign?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 06:14:34 AM »
Days to weeks, unless they use magic to heal the specific wounds. 

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 08:25:23 AM »
My PCs have access to reasonable amounts of magical healing with a cleric and a sorcerer in the party so most wounds are dealt with magically. They also started out with a fair few healing herbs that they have been depleting and not replacing due to both a lack of planning and forethought.

When the herbs are gone they will be down to their own magic and natural healing.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »
We use a flat 1HP per hour, 3 per hour at rest but the nature of our world, what passes for "science" is rampant and healing potions and herbs are readily available and fairly cheap.  All of our players take a decent amount of Herb Lore, Flora/Fauna Lore, Region Lore, Foraging so they are also able to find emergency supplies in the wilderness.  The healing process is sped up.  Only once did a player accidentally ingest a grass with an AF of 99.  He's addicted to grass. LOL.  He's loopy and at minuses when he doesn't have his daily dose.

It's a special kind of grass.

No... Really.  It's medicinal!  I swear to you!!!

If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 11:12:07 AM »
I use the RM2 healing rates, but I have to admit I have given the party pretty powerful healing magic items, to compensate for the specificity of so many crits, and the fact no one has ever been willing to play a true healer. The most powerful item was what the players called the "healing pita pouch," a silk cocoon that cast Healer spells on a person in it, up to a limit of PP per day.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »

Sounds like some fun RPing potential there.

We too use RM2 healing rates, and we too have faced the problems that Jengada mentions. We have tried in the past to have a PC play a healer, but since there are 5 or 6 lists you need to dedicate yourself too to be able to heal well, that means the healer does little else than heal, and none of my players are really into that. So parties have generally hired an NPC healer and used herbs and potions and anything else that can help.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 09:15:27 AM »

Sounds like some fun RPing potential there.

We too use RM2 healing rates, and we too have faced the problems that Jengada mentions. We have tried in the past to have a PC play a healer, but since there are 5 or 6 lists you need to dedicate yourself too to be able to heal well, that means the healer does little else than heal, and none of my players are really into that. So parties have generally hired an NPC healer and used herbs and potions and anything else that can help.

I forget the name of the grass atm, but I can try to get it.  He needed a particular type of healing and the grass did it, but I saw the AF 99 and I had to make him roll.  For the next couple of days he had no idea why he was all messed up.

Over the course of all the years of playing, we had one player make a healer and quickly kill him off after a few sessions for the reasons you listed here; necessary spell lists and such a narrow scope of focus.  He made up another healer for the rest of the campaign and specialized in the healing that we needed most which was the bone repair.  Finding the potions and herbs to mend bone were too difficult in game time.   The problem we ran into then was that not every battle resulted in a broken bone so now there was a spell list going under utilized and he was wishing he had other spell lists.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 09:49:25 AM »
Our RMSS game has an animist and two paladins, everything has been healed in days. Our RMU game's only healer is a druid, and the characters are lower level, but she's better with herbs. I think there was an injury that lasted a week, but the party was traveling and it didn't end up affecting anything.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline mtpnj

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 08:50:52 AM »
We have been playing Rolemaster for along time.  Somewhere along the way we saw a rule that only 1 spell could be cast on a wound.   We still use that rule out of habit.   So the healer(usually a priest class from channeling companion) stops the blood loss or heals the crits then the hits have to heal per the rules or with herbs.  So it may take a few days to get all the hits back but using rmss that depends on con.
We have found that some of those specialty priests at the back of channeling companion make formidable player characters some with decent fighting skills.
Why does the word Rolemaster get highlighted by spell check on this forum(LOL)

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 04:02:19 PM »
The only time I have played a channeling healer was in a short campaign where the GM insisted that all the PCs had to be healers and we were on a mercy mission from an abbey to a war ravaged city. That was a lot of fun and our armed guard died on day two in an ambush.

Lay healers on the other hand make brilliant player characters as do sci-fi medics where the healing is not so all consuming for the characters DPs.

I encourage PC healers over NPCs because with the PC the limits on healing play a big part of the players planning considerations.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 01:56:33 AM »
Healing per School of Hard Knocks (SoHK), then the recovery rate for each racial type per the Standard Rules.

IF the Character receives magical/herbal or talent healing AND they reach full hitpoints, then they are completely healed.
This just speeds up everything.

Example: Jojopo is at a -10 penalty from a critical hit. is down 10 hitpoints from her total maximum of 80 and has a sprained wrist.  If she was to heal naturally (per SoHK) this would take days.
The party Layhealer casts healing 3-30 and happens to roll well on each die totaling +15 hit points healed. This is well beyond Jojopo's maximum of 80 so she is fully healed!

I found that if normal healing is applied (days or weeks or even months in the case of a head injury) this drags the game quite a bit.

Just my 2 coppers! Enjoy!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »
RM rules for damage that can't be healed with magic.

Always saw speed healing as something that was needed for dungeon crawls in any campaign in any rule system:

1 HP / hour active
2 HP / hour resting/on watch
3 HP / hour sleeping + CON BONUS converted to HP.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »
RM rules for damage that can't be healed with magic.

Always saw speed healing as something that was needed for dungeon crawls in any campaign in any rule system:

1 HP / hour active
2 HP / hour resting/on watch
3 HP / hour sleeping + CON BONUS converted to HP.

Sounds like what we did, but we did not use the 2 HP for resting/on watch.  Either the player was resting; early asleep or sleeping, or the player was on watch; walking a patrol route, actively moving around to keep an eye out or to look for something out of the ordinary, but hopefully NOT resting. LOL.

There were usually plenty of potions of Draaf that healed 1-10 HP for dose

Offline JohnD

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 08:46:18 PM »
How much do healers cost to hire in your games?

My players are talking about hiring a healer to follow them around.  Not sure what to charge.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 09:19:08 PM »
Depending on the level of the healer I charged 1 SP per Level per day and 10% of treasure in money not items. This was a NPC that could do more than heal (use skills, herbs, and other actions) if this became to cheap then I raised it to gold instead, especially at higher levels.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 09:36:06 PM »
My parties have generally given the healer a full share of the loot.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline JohnD

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 11:31:55 PM »
Thanks guys... more or less along the lines of what I was thinking. Minimum 1 silver/day or 1 share whichever is more. Plus right of first refusal on any magic related to healing.

A worthy money sink for those fighter heavy groups.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 09:47:14 AM »
How much do healers cost to hire in your games?

My players are talking about hiring a healer to follow them around.  Not sure what to charge.

This would come down to the elements within your gaming world and the type of party you have.  Do you want the healer to actively participate within the sessions, either through you controlling as an NPC or another player handling the NPC as a secondary PC?  How powerful is the healer?  What spell lists will he have access to?   How many PP or potions/herbs will he carry?  Do you even want the party to have a Healer in tow?  You could make it cost prohibitive, you could allow him to only sign on for 1 week.  The downside to having the NPC is that party will actively have to protect him now.  That will change in-game tactics quite a bit and give you as the GM more material to make the sessions more challenging.

Rule #1:  Protect the healer
Rule #2: Take out the Spell casters.
Umm.. Rule #0:  Kill the Healer first!

We did have one of our players controlling an NPC in a campaign, he had his own spell lists and equipment.  I wasn't part of that campaign but I was having fun watching the group play.  More recently, our larger group of guys had players pop in and out al the time because it was impossible for 9-10 of us to meet up every single week with any consistency, so the 'floater' guys would take over NPCs for the GM and that worked out great.  It took some of the workload from the GM, made the NPC more part of the game, the guys who came over for 1 or 2 nights a month were able to play and be part of the sessions.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »
I always hated NPC tagalongs just due to slowing combat rounds down.
Even as a Player I always nerf myself for Summoning spells of 1 creature for the same reason.

That said, spellcasting costs in our campaigns always got rid of extra phat lewt!
Spell Caster's Level x Spell Level in SP.
Only a LVL20 LayHealer in town? 
(S)He can take on that minor wound but their time is worth way more than someone Apprenticing to do the same with the exact same spell!

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 02:24:27 PM »
I always hated NPC tagalongs just due to slowing combat rounds down.

Same here.  NPCs are cannon fodder in my game world.  They have a habit of expiring in their sleep.... or getting the first deadly crit in the first round of combat.   ;D   

Necessary NPCs are different, but the tagalongs.... bah!