Author Topic: split personality caster  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Wuzurd

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
split personality caster
« on: February 17, 2017, 04:04:24 PM »
So I rolled a split personality sorcerer (personality 1) summoner (peronailty 2) and dabbler (personality 3)
still pretty new to it all in the caster side of things but enjoying the gm randomly telling me to test under pressure.
(back story being as an apprentice he was used as a subject of dark research by his evil summoner master splitting the personality of the poor elf)
for ease I shared the flaws and talents across all 3 personalities altho we did not apply dark temptation to all 3 of them for balance. 

my summoner took flaw- dark temptation for 50 in dark summoning during which I summoned a pale demon the gm rolled  a natural 66 during the summoning and in his grace ( and the game style we play, with a paladin and cleric in team) made it touch by the gods to become my guardian(as if my summoner had all mastery spells of a known companion cast upon this demon/guardian) - a gods blessed demon (love the twist).

so our only conundrum is
 we cant decide is if the guardian still  recognizes my caster as his ward when either of the other personalities are in control -   
we currently play as if he just winks out of existence waiting for the summoner personality to Call/ open a Teleportal for him to return.
any suggestions? - we both agree the sorcerer personality would be OP with a guardian but the dabbler could use the help in ways as none of my characters have any melee skill beside 5 ranks in blackjack for extreme moments of unavoidable melee.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: split personality caster
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 10:21:23 PM »
Your Ranger has pledged to protect you and guard your back most days.
Love, Sly. 

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 02:41:39 AM »
i GM a pc who has split personalities. i have created my own rules around this drawback. he is a burglar with archmage background. he was touched by a lich when he was a boy and some of this dark power was transferred to him where it lay dormant. He has a Shadowmage and Magician personalities who are in conflict. Ive ruled he as a 10% chance of flipping per game session and he also has to make a new check each time the burglar casts a shadowmage spell with a base chance of 10% +spell level.

thus far, when he flips personality I play him as an npc and he 'blacks out' for 1d6hrs before flipping back to the burglar. When he flips back he has no memory of what has transpired.

At somepoint the c will develop more control over the other personalities and be 'aware' and progressively in control of the other personalities and can play as a pc with each personality.

To increase the stability of the disability i am allowed drugs/herbs to further reduce the base chances of flipping from 10% to 5% and then 2% with use of specific herbs. These hers must be used daily to gain the benefit and can result in drug addiction.

This division of XP between characters is an area im looking into and havent yet come up with a workable option.

Offline Wuzurd

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 04:13:34 PM »
Your Ranger has pledged to protect you and guard your back most days.
Love, Sly.
I think youve made a delightful addition to our team Sly ;) girl power!

Offline Wuzurd

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 04:24:42 PM »
intriguing Druss, we've set up separate character sheets for each personality,  that handles the exp easily, We roughly set the starting levels as the char was joining a lvl 10 game (after the death on my stuttering monk)
the main personality knows of the others but doesn't like to talk about it (fears her summoner side due to his being plagued by his corrupt nature) the dabbler personality is the more visibly psychologically impaired and lowest level (6) is more like to panic and run also more likely to trigger a personality shift under stress. He is aware of others but thinks he is possessed and definitely goes into "golem" mode of speech when ( should have set him with paranoia flaw as well, but it allows for some intriguing role-play.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 06:49:56 PM »
For an old RM2 player I GMd, whom was a Bashkar/Runemaster/Seer split, we had fun with it.
I especially remember the many bar fights I would love my PCs getting into where the Bashkar(Barbarian Berzerker type) would be mid-Martial Arts swing and change into his non-MA Runemaster!
Oh, the hilarity.

Don't know RMFRP stuff, but we used a skill called Control Lycanthropy(basically a Self Discipline check) as a coping mechanism to help resist changes during "stressful" situations.
Depending upon (100-SD Temp stat)/10 for each individual personality's Mental Stats, this was how long their conscious states would survive for - measured in hours(even days for doozie triggers!) before reverting back to the main consciousness(or requiring a check to do so(could be an option for a more everlasting change if failures add up).

These included combat/gymnastic/social interactions where a skill rank wasn't at 10+(Or higher) in a skill that would normally be used in such situations.

So the more skilled the main personality became(levelling up), the less frequently the episodes of new personalities came up.

Sometimes, I'd be evil and add modifiers for moon(madness) phases of +/- 10 to the SD roll, per phase, too.
The range went from -20(Full Moon) to +20(New Moon) but these are tweakable, too.
We played in Shadow World, so moon phases were simple and the Kulthean calendar was a huge help.

I won't comment on the Demon/Guardian thing so you can milk our GM for as much as you can get, whichever way it goes, heehee!
Good luck, either way, sir!

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 01:54:31 PM »
I've played a character with split personalities (Warrior Monk and Magician), well, sort of.  Too long to explain but essentially the same idea.  It could be fun/entertaining, but it could also be quite frustrating.  The GM would pick a 'trigger' (changing it up over time) and whenever that trigger happened I'd switch.  Thankfully, being a Warrior Monk, I never switched from Mage to Monk while in mid-air (flying spell) so high that the Monk couldn't handle the fall.

I think it might hinge on how intelligent the demon is and if the current personality jives with the demon in a general sense.  Still, for balance purposes I would think it needs to only serve the Sorcerer.  But if you need to you could justify the behavior or morality of each personality impacting if the demon hangs around/vanishes/reappears with each.

Afterthought: I had the PC retain knowledge of everything that happens while 'in' the other personality, but his mind could alter how the events happened to make sense of them from each personalities perspective.  This was, largely, simply to avoid disruption of the story line and having to be concerned with out of character info.  So, when the Mage would Firebolt a foe, and suddenly switch personalities, the Monk would think he had merely been beating the foe with his staff (and had no idea why the foe might have burns).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss