Author Topic: Martial Arts, Parrying, and Crystal Arms  (Read 974 times)

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Martial Arts, Parrying, and Crystal Arms
« on: March 18, 2017, 02:04:36 PM »
So one of my players has lost a limb based on the life events chart in Dark Space. He's planning to get a Biocrystal Limb (living crystal) to replace it and is thinking of picking up Martial Arts.

Now, I know that usually parrying with MA results in a 1/2 penalty vs weapons. But would a limb that is treated as AT20 and ignores criticals allow for full parrying versus melee attacks in your opinion?

I'm leaning towards saying yes. It would be better than a parrying gauntlet/greaves but I'm curious what others think.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Martial Arts, Parrying, and Crystal Arms
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
In my opinion, yes, that seems reasonable, so long as biocrystal is exceptionally durable. I don't have my copy of Darkspace with me though to say for sure.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 03:22:37 PM »
In my opinion, yes, that seems reasonable, so long as biocrystal is exceptionally durable. I don't have my copy of Darkspace with me though to say for sure.

Agreed.  I don't have the DarkSpace info either, but assuming he can get the bio-crystal grafted, I would treat it like a "shield" (it's even better than a shield IMO) type or main gauche in addition to being able to use Martial Arts.  AT20 and ignores crits is pretty awesome!
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 05:58:59 PM »
Yeah, and it's even better...it counts as a +15 quality bonus when used with MA so there is also that!!! :D

Cool, glad I'm not being unreasonable.