Author Topic: Magical item lists/repository  (Read 1627 times)

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Magical item lists/repository
« on: March 29, 2017, 10:24:10 AM »
Ok. Obviously, I've been using the magical item lists in C&T, C&T2, C&T3, RoCo III and RoCo V, as well as (A)D&D's books. Recently (relatively speaking since I did for a few years now), I've been using Pathfinder's "Ultimate Equipment" (THE best equipment compilation ever, as items are sorted by location). And I've made my own.
But, well, after over three decades of GMing, finding ideas for new/original magical items becomes... challenging, so I'd like to know if any of you knows of a location, book or anything where I can get ideas for magical items. The game system doesn't really matter, as I'm after ideas and can pretty much adapt to RM2 anything. Ideally, I'd like them sorted by location.
Thanks.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Magical item lists/repository
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »
Have you looked at Treasures of Middle Earth?  Pretty good stuff and not all of it is Armour, Weapons, or Spell Caster Enhancement.  I like things like Blanket of Warming and that sort of item. 

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 01:43:46 PM »
Are you looking for normal equipment lists (like And a 10 Foot Pole...) or magical item compilations (like Encylopedia Magica)? And have you looked at items from computer games, especially big or long running ones like The Elder Scrolls, Runescape and Warcraft?
I made some things! Azukail Games

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 07:40:00 AM »
Have you looked at Treasures of Middle Earth?
I looked and used pretty much everything that was published by ICE. :p

Are you looking for normal equipment lists (like And a 10 Foot Pole...) or magical item compilations (like Encylopedia Magica)?
Magical items only.

And have you looked at items from computer games, especially big or long running ones like The Elder Scrolls, Runescape and Warcraft?
I tend not to look there because magical items in these games are hardly original, existing foremost for combat purpose. Regardless of the system and its appearance, a +X to hit/damage/stats item is just that and nothing original. If I look at items i created, I'd call "original" items such as:
  • "Shoulder pads of the messenger": if Vianna tenderly caresses one of her shoulder pads for three minutes, a dove appears on her arm. This dove may fly to any person whom Vianna has located by any mean (included a merely meeting promise), to a maximum range of 333 km, and at a speed of 111 kph, in order to deliver him a message. Indeed, as soon as it reaches its destination, the dove becomes a scroll, written with the message about which Vianna thought when she conjured it; this scroll is exactly one A4 page. The dove remains in its scroll form until it's rolled up; it then disappears in an explosion of white light and feathers.
  • "Gloves of the angry elegant woman": if Mel fights in melee wearing these gloves with at least one free hand, she may freely (i.e. in addition to any other action) every round slap her opponent. She then uses the armoured fist attack table, with an OB equals to (2 ranks/level + stat bonus + 2/level + 15) but does neither hit damage, nor critical, inflicting instead rounds of stun equal to the hit point damage normally inflicted (e.g., a 5CK would result in 5 rounds of stun inflicted).
  • "Super-adhesive lipstick": if Cassey kisses her lipstick whilst whispering "Sweet charm" before using it, the lipstick becomes a very powerful glue stick, able to literally cement any object or surface on which it's applied. It's an absurd (-70) strength manoeuvre trying to separate two objects or surfaces so glued. It takes one full minute for the glue to dry. Cassey has to close her lipstick for it to stop working as a glue stick. The stick never runs out, either as a lipstick or a glue stick.
  • "Socks of the Little Mouse": if, at night, Kelainô suspends her socks before going to sleep, whilst putting a piece of money in each, she finds the following morning in the first three chocolate bars (with different flavours), each having the nutritive value of a complete meal, and in the second three flasks of fruit milk (with different flavours), each having the thirst-quenching ability of one litre of fresh mineral water. On the other hand, the pieces of money have disappeared. The power of the "Socks of the Little Mouse" is effective regardless of the outside conditions (including in the middle of a snowstorm or the desert), as long as they're suspended, a piece of money is put inside, Kelainô sleeps and no one pays attention to them during the night (or the Little Mouse doesn't come  ;))
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 10:13:36 AM »
I posted up a list of magical items from Matt Hanson (Vroomfogle) on the SW forum here:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15879.0;attach=3853
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »
There are a couple of older D&D compilations, The Book of Marvellous Magic and, for the truly oddball, The Book of Wondrous Inventions.

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 04:32:53 AM »
I posted up a list of magical items from Matt Hanson (Vroomfogle) on the SW forum here:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15879.0;attach=3853
Oh, this is excellent! Magical items sorted by usage, exactly what I need! Thank you very much!

There are a couple of older D&D compilations, The Book of Marvellous Magic and, for the truly oddball, The Book of Wondrous Inventions.
Thanks for the information! I'll try looking to them… AD&D2 stuff?

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 05:15:07 AM »
Actually BECMI D&D. I've checked and the contents of both would appear to be included in the Encyclopedia Magica.

For modern Pathfinder, the "Treasury" series from Legendary Games has some interesting things, but it can be pricey buying each outside of a bundle or other offer.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 06:37:51 AM »
PeterR wrote a post on Rolemasterblog.com on getting magic item inspiration from apps: http://www.rolemasterblog.com/appy-inspiration/