Author Topic: Powder Mage  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Harr4322

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Powder Mage
« on: April 23, 2017, 04:31:21 AM »
Hello all,
I've been reading a set of books called The Powder Mage Chronicals where they have a class of character who manipulates black powder to give  them a bonus on shooting or to help deflect  rounds incoming, they also induce powder to boost their stats, do we currently have a RM conversion for this  or can someone suggest an existing class, thanks. 
I have searched for this but found nothing

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Powder Mage
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 07:18:43 AM »
This question has been in the back of my mind since I read it.  It sounds familiar and I think you may find something within the Space Master books, perhaps with the psion users and semi-psion users.  I'll have to dig out the books and take a look.

RM2 also has the Alchemy Companion and I'll take a look in that book to see what is there.  That deals with the manipulation and enhancement of matter.

However... this also got me thinking because the title of your post conjured up images of a spell caster using powder as a means of focus.   Our gaming setting is restricted to the magics only found in Elemental Companion and Alchemy Companion.  The setting is similar to the Renaissance Period of our own real world.  "Science" rules all, even what passes for science.  People are enlightened, Alchemy is the new science and Elementalism is the newest discovery.

Going back to the idea of a Powder Mage, I was thinking "dust" could be an element that players could craft a PC around.  There are the primary elements, then secondary and tertiary elements.  Depending on the school of thought, Light is primary, heat is secondary.  Or Fire is primary, heat is secondary, light is tertiary.  Earth-gravity-inertia.  Air-electricity-gravity (lack of).  Why not have powder or dust as an element?  Maybe as a secondary element of earth?  I'm thinking I'm going to make one up for the long gaming weekend I'm hoping to have.  I just have to modify some wording in the spells to make it work.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Powder Mage
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:34:08 PM »
I looked through the Space Master books that I have and I only found a Psion list that had Deflection in it and one with Telekinesis.  The Deflections list was nice and was a decent DB type list to have.   The TK list was definitely not a primary attack list.  It was for moving smaller objects and such, nothing that I saw that could be great for attacks.

I'll go through Alchemy Companion when I get a chance.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!