Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 933 times)

Offline Yasha

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Some questions
« on: July 05, 2017, 09:14:54 PM »
Hi all,

I'm doomed with eyesight problems and internet is quite a pain, so please forgive me if my questions already had replies elsewhere.

I'm a huge fan of RM2's spirit, looking at its flaws with kindness ; I'm building a medieval fantasy world for almost 25 years now, with RM (and somewhat ADD, bleh) always on my mind, and part, among others, in a 19 yo campaign. I've tried to go into FRP but... Well, RM2 is and remains my first and true love. I'm trying to be published, and there are boatloads of material.

Now, legally speaking, what if I want to publicly share some stuff with people, like my love for RM2 (does it need to/can it be official ?), or the material I (made and) use to rule my world. Nothing thrilling there, but intellectual property is always sensitive. And RMU is on the line...

To be clear, I'd LOVE my work to be linked with RM/ICE.

RM being quite generic on the most noticeable marks (classes, spells..), I won't conflict with ICE when releasing stories in my very own setting (no fanfiction here), but what if I would explain people how my world runs in depths ? Knowing that the system I use - no, the system I LIVE with 24/7 - is a sharp reshape of RM2, how can I talk about/explain/promote it (even among us forumers) ? And, well, what if I just wanted, in the end, to push my world as a(nother) RM setting ?

I feel the replies are obvious and my words sound a bit dizzy, but anyway, only nice guys here =)

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 03:50:53 AM »
Disclaimer: I do not speak on behalf of ICE in any capacity.

There should be no issues with any house rules or setting information you wish to release.

Unless you're quoting significant sections of the official rules verbatim, or implying your material has official support, there should be very little to be concerned about.

If ICE do feel you've gone too far at any point, the worst you're likely to encounter is a request that you remove specific offending material.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 10:46:34 AM »
If you want your work more formally linked to RM, you might also consider submitting parts of it to the Guild Companion, either as an article or a series of linked article.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Yasha

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 03:59:37 AM »
Aaahh yes, I just browsed through TGC's pages, looks exactly like what my fan part is looking for. Thanks for your replies.

So I was advised to be even more specific, and shown my eventual worries are about having a specific RM section - clearly set as a "fan" one - on a blog/site fed with ads and - unrelated though inspired - paying content.

In fact, all this came when I reread my old Feist books, rerealised how clear his inspirations were (and he clearly said he plundered classic artworks), and ended up reading the latest books, saying to myself... Man, this is not DnD, this is RM !!  8)

I know RM2 is written on my world's bones (for "those who know)", I know it's nowhere near a prejudice to ICE, even legal, it's even a form of advertising and promotion, but formally linking the two while having commercial meanings around was problematic to me (in a sea of problems  :o)

Well, spending hours a day for years on a fantasy world made me a creepy weirdo... Anybody would just have been to the "Contact ICE" section first  ;D

Greetings from the other side of the Channel ! And long live ICE !