Author Topic: Cyberspace (and SM2) caliber weirdness  (Read 2218 times)

Offline mhd

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Cyberspace (and SM2) caliber weirdness
« on: July 24, 2017, 06:34:07 AM »
In the realms of small arms, CS (and SM2) seem to care only about caliber size when it comes to damage, ignoring all other bullet statistics. Which is quite weird and results in an assault rifle doing less damage than a medium pistol.

Anyone got a good re-classification of weapons?

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Cyberspace (and SM2) caliber weirdness
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 08:29:31 PM »
Check out RMSS Weapon Law: Firearms.  It has a good treatment of calibre size vs. damage.  It has a bunch of seperate attack tables depending on calibre.

Nightblade ->--

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:13:43 PM »
Really, I never knew about that; can you explain that a little more?

I know IntoThatDarkness has his own system that takes these things into account too. Maybe he can weigh in as well.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 10:04:13 PM »
Sorry Hurin, I guess I missed your reply.  But I found it now!

IIRC, the various attack tables in the RMSS Firearms are keyed to various caliber firearms.  There is a section in the book that talks about adding other firearms that are not listed in the charts.  The suggestion is that you should find a gun in the charts that has a similar caliber & muzzle length (again IIRC) and use that to help determine what chart & other statistics to use for the "new" weapon.  As far as I know, it's the only book in the RM line (beit RM2/SM2, RMSS/SM:P or RMFRP) that treats firearms in this way.  As such, when I am in a world that uses firearms, Weapon Law: Firearms is my goto book.

Nightblade ->--

Offline molofaha

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 11:18:30 PM »
It seems to me you can recover the intent of Spacemaster simply by taking every machine gun, assault rifle, and rifle (except for the 5mm rifle which is a .22lr) and moving them up a Mk.  Don't know how that would work in play, though, and it makes gauss weapons less unique.