Author Topic: The charaters on the cover of some RM books  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Oobiedoobie

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The charaters on the cover of some RM books
« on: August 17, 2017, 01:51:41 PM »
So on some of the RMSS/RMFRP books there are some characters that repeat themselves. There is a spell-user with a mohawk, a lion-headed character, a lady "Ranger?", a thief and a fighter it seems like.

Are these characteres that the creators of RM have played?

Whats their story? Why are they batteling that golem? What are their familiars doing? Is it a minotaur the mage is batteling? And did the ranger-lady survive the fall?

Offline Dragonking11

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: The charaters on the cover of some RM books
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 07:29:43 AM »
Very good questions

I asked myself those questions for the past 20 years and just decided to go on with my life as I had no answer  :-\

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 08:27:39 AM »
Unfortunately, the artist who drew them (the great Angus McBride) passed away a while ago, so we might never know.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Oobiedoobie

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 12:00:20 PM »
What I was imagening is that the characters were based on actual characters that the ICE-people used when developing the system.

I would love to hear the story of these characters.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 03:41:50 AM »
I don't think they were based on actual characters but it's possible that Terry might know.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline 5th Knight of Xar

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 12:12:23 PM »
I found myself wondering who they were and what their story was myself for many years as we used the books with our campaigns. I guess we'll never know. I did get the chance to bring their story further though, back in 2012 when I first started making illustrations for ICE on a freelance basis, this was one of  several pieces made for the new ICE website.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 12:18:07 PM »
A nice homage to the old Angus McBride covers! Fun!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 01:49:21 PM »
Beautiful design, Raymond!

I'd love to see the theme of those characters carried into RMU (if possible due to copyright) as an homage to where RM came from and how it's been progressing through the decades.

I've based a couple of sessions off the cover artwork on the books too. :)  It's fun to let the mind wander sometimes.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 09:02:37 PM »
Beautiful design, Raymond!

I'd love to see the theme of those characters carried into RMU (if possible due to copyright) as an homage to where RM came from and how it's been progressing through the decades.

I've based a couple of sessions off the cover artwork on the books too. :)  It's fun to let the mind wander sometimes.

I second that!

I always loved those characters and often tried to imagine where the adventure/story led them.  If you start with ChL&CaL (1989) where they are overlooking the city built into the cliffs (each with their familiar/pet - which I always thought was a great touch) - you then move to AL&CL where they are fighting the iron golem; before moving on to SL where the Elvan mage is casting what looks like an Electric Bolt at what looks like a demon of some kind.  We then pick up the story in the RMSS covers and the adventure looks even more facinating.  It would be fun if someone were to write a novel or short story based on these wonderful/iconic images.

Nightblade ->--

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 09:38:07 PM »
I would love that too. If RMU ever gives sample pregenerated characters, I'd love to see that party be the ones.

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 09:35:36 PM »
Definately agree.

Nightblade ->--