Author Topic: The sound of a lightning bolt  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Lorgalis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The sound of a lightning bolt
« on: November 21, 2017, 05:19:37 AM »
I just discovered that I've forgotten the rules about elemental attack spells and sound. A fireball sounds like a hand grenade. The sound of a lightning bolt is so loud that a party of pc's nearby would get temporarily deaf! Do any of you use those rules? I really like them, but they bring some serious consequences.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: The sound of a lightning bolt
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 06:49:04 AM »
Book and page please :)
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Lorgalis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 07:11:29 AM »
Read it last night in rolemaster classic spell law. Almost at the end of the part before the spell lists.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 07:24:15 AM »
A lightning bolt doesn't have to be deafening.  It could be an arc from the spellcaster's finger tips to the target that just sizzles them like an arc welder... just at a long distance.  Tasers and stun guns don't make a lot of noise, but they dish out a ton of unpleasantness.  Your lightning bolt could just as easily make a sizzling crackling sound.

Remember: it's not the voltage that gets you, it's the amps!

When we deal with spells, they aren't stealth spells, there is sound associated with them, but we don't put it to the point of debilitating.  I suppose we really could if we wanted to really make the game a challenge.  I'm not sure I would have a pure fireball sounding like a grenade.  I've been a firefighter for nearly 16 years and I've been very close to some fireballs and they don't always make a lot of noise.  Definitely a whoosh and the wave of heat (and maybe some "OH CRAP!") that pushes you back.  You could definitely add those audible side-effects to the game.  I bet I could really surprise my the spell caster in my group as he is an electric elementalist.  I would definitely add the crippling sound if he failed a spell cast! :D
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 07:29:45 AM »
An actual gun makes a lot of noise. OTOH, I don't think there's any game that includes guns that plays that part so I think it's acceptable if you don't play it either with spells.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 12:22:03 PM »
An actual gun makes a lot of noise. OTOH, I don't think there's any game that includes guns that plays that part so I think it's acceptable if you don't play it either with spells.

Not in terms of those doing the shooting as far as I know, but there are some that factor it in when it comes to others locating the shooter.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Lorgalis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 02:00:28 PM »
Rolemaster classic, spell law, page 75:

"Lightning is always associated with thunder, and can be heard from miles away outdoors, indoors the noise alone will be enough to temporarily deafen people and break delicate objects and glass windows."

A Shock bolt will "sizzle and crack... inaudible beyond normal doors or walls".

I really love these rules and it looks to me that they aren't intended to be optional.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 10:31:30 AM »
This is the sort of thing where I, as a meteorologist ne physicist, have to rein in my reality. If you're going to put in the real sound effects of lightning, then you're implying the real thermal effects, and more. If someone unleashes a lightning bolt in a 10' corridor, they're going to superheat the air and anyone in the corridor for some time to come is going to suffer serious burns. Lightning also kills more people by indirect voltage difference, than direct strike. Theoretically, everyone within about 10' or maybe even 100' of the target will be at risk of heart-stopping currents running through their bodies. Anyone in metal footwear is at higher risk.

Bottom line for me, the spell isn't powerful enough to drag these real-physics consequences with it. If you choose to include them, be ready for players to actually use them to their advantage. "Hmm, I can deafen all the orcs with one bolt..." or "If I target the knight in full plate, he's got the worst RR but I can also affect everyone else around him." And "If the wizard we're chasing threw that lightning bolt, we would've heard and seen it across the prairie, and could've figured where he was."
Yes, the sound and heat and surrounding damage are physically real. But Magic. And Balance.

We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 11:31:48 AM »
This is the sort of thing where I, as a meteorologist ne physicist, have to rein in my reality.

Very cool!

I think this was not an issue for us as we used only the Elemental Companion and treated the elements/elementals as defined in EC, not as a spell that causes lightning the we would experience in the "real life world."  The lightning is summoned from the elemental plane and makes the attacks.  It wasn't conjured from the surrounding real life world causing heat, sound, vacuum, and subsequent thunder-clap, all other real world physics one would experience.  Having worked on rescue for victims of a lightning strike, I can say it is a horrifying sight.  Absolutely horrifying.  The person standing next to the victim did suffer heart palpitations and was thrown a good distance either from heat/shock wave or "Oh crap!" response.

Yes, the sound and heat and surrounding damage are physically real. But Magic. And Balance.

I would side with Magic and balance too.  As much as I love RM for the realism and simulation feel to the game, we can hold back from the real-world physics just enough to have fun and to keep it "mostly" real.  One could simply argue that the lightning attack (assuming not using EC rules) is "just powerful enough" for the attack without roasting everyone in the nearby area.  I would definitely incorporate these added effects for a spell failure and especially for an extraordinary spell failure.

Rolemaster classic, spell law, page 75:

"Lightning is always associated with thunder, and can be heard from miles away outdoors, indoors the noise alone will be enough to temporarily deafen people and break delicate objects and glass windows."

A Shock bolt will "sizzle and crack... inaudible beyond normal doors or walls".

I really love these rules and it looks to me that they aren't intended to be optional.

This is an excellent point, thank you for posting that info.  I've never played RMC, but if the rule is worded specifically like that, then my idea of "lightning sizzling and crackling like a taser" would be defined as a Shock Bolt and the Lightning Bolt is far more devastating.  With the D&D group I game with, the DM doesn't allow "atmospheric" attacks indoors/underground.  Meteor Strike, Lightning attacks can't be used as the meteor can't be pulled from the sky and the lightning can't be drawn from the heavens.  We've argued our side plenty of times, but we inevitably end up in a dungeon crawl and the mages are hamstrung with their attack spells.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 07:30:02 AM »
We've argued our side plenty of times, but we inevitably end up in a dungeon crawl and the mages are hamstrung with their attack spells.
Magic missile, Disintegrate and Prismatic spray work in any and all situations.  ;D
Especially Magic missile. Starting from level 11 (only), it's 150 insured damage for a Sorcerer, with no saving throw, and cannot miss, if Maximized.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.