Author Topic: Spell lists for deity of knowledge  (Read 1414 times)

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Spell lists for deity of knowledge
« on: January 08, 2018, 01:43:40 PM »
I'm looking for suggestions for spell lists for followers of a goddess of knowledge. I'll take suggestions from any edition of RM, unofficial sources included.

Knowledge Mastery in the Mentalism Companion looks like a good one, despite the realm, and B.Hanson's spell list for Valris, also my Arcane Library list in the Guild Companion. What else?

This is for a PC who is a paladin, so the intent is to use some of the paladin lists and then swap in a couple knowledge-based lists.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline MrApollinax

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spell lists for deity of knowledge
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 01:55:19 PM »
Some of the old Sage lists from RM2 - if adapted - might suit your purpose, although I suspect the Knowledge Mastery list you mentioned is a consolidation of some of these. There are also some Priest base lists from the Guild Companion June 2004 (Educating Ways and Discernment Mastery, I think they're called) that might be of some use.
Author, HARP Garden of Rain.
Tales of the New Kingdoms (blog)

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 10:00:44 AM »
There's definitely overlap between these lists but sometimes one is a better fit than another. Thanks, I definitely would not have found the one in the GC.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 11:00:13 AM »
My first thought was the Bard Item Lore list. What I've done in the past when there were several lists that were close but not quite what I wanted was to line up all of them by level, cull the duplicates and those that are inappropriate for the new list, then shift up and down according to how well I think the survivors fit the new class's nature.

Another tack might be to look at the Knowledge skills in Pathfinder. Maybe those can serve as a starting point for dividing out specific lists your goddess of knowledge would offer. Each list could have similar spells to the other lists, but keyed to topic X.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 08:20:24 PM »
You might try the Teaching Lore list from the Heartstrings article in Other Hands issue 31/32. There is also the Item Analysis alchemist list from the treasure companion, and the Divinations list from the geomancer in the alchemy companion or the past visions seer list. Another possibility is the Path of Thought list from the august 2000 guild companion.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 06:27:25 AM »
Would spell lists from the Sleuth profession be helpful.  RMC-III I believe.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Karthor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 11:18:59 PM »
Do you have access to the old Channeling Companion?
Starting on page 120 is list of "spheres of influence" for the priest profession. You could take the sphe of Ancestors, Arts, Crafts, Culture, Magic or Wisdom as base, depending what is more fitting. And then replace up to 3 of the base lists with each one base list from 3 spheres.
For example: Wisdom as base, but replace "Holy Wrath" with "Ceromonies" from Culture.

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. We'll see what the player likes.

I think the wisdom and oracle spheres are too much about divine insight and not enough about scholarly study, for this particular character. If it was a cleric there might be room for a little of both, but since she also has some paladin lists there is less room for variety on the knowledge side.

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 07:01:12 PM »
I don't think anyone has mentioned Guildcraft Mastery from Essence Companion, which is definitely suitable for a bookish scholar, although probably a bit on the weak side for a base list.

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 10:33:02 PM »
Did anyone mention Library Mastery (Prosaic) from RM2 Spell Users Companion?

Nightblade ->--

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 02:58:36 AM »
some of the Magus Lists from RMC3
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]