Author Topic: Heavy Weapons??  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Heavy Weapons??
« on: April 18, 2008, 03:53:13 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm in need of a book or charts or something for weapons heavier than .50 cal, that's as large as Firearms Law goes. I need 20mm, 40mm, etc. Grenades would be very helpful too as I'm finding what's in Cyberspace and Spacemaster to be somewhat lacking.
Does ICE print anything along these lines?

Thanks,

Allen
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Heavy Weapons??
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 01:30:24 PM »
Space Master.

Equipment Manual has a grenade table in it, along with many neat advanced melee weapons.  Meshing the SM armor types should expand your cyberspace game too.

Vehicle Companion has a sweet table called the Vehicle Vs Infantry table.  There is also Infantry Vs Vehicle, and one of my favs (though I have yet to use it), the Apocalyptic Weapon Attack Table.  You also get Autocannon, Blaster/Laser Cannon, Disruptor Cannon, Ion Cannon and the Warhead Attack Table.

One of the books has the Nuclear Granade Atack Table.  Robotics Manuel I think. 

BLASTER LAW has a bunch of great tables you could use for some BFG Infantry/Vehicle mounted weapons.

I do like SM, though it is poorly organized and the tables are scattered almost willy nilly at times.  I recommend a scanner/photocopier and making a little personal arms law of your own.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:26:34 AM »
lynn

Thanks for the input! I have most of the SM2 books, that's the flavor I like heh, and lots for the Privateers stuff too I've picked up over the years not realizing the difference.
I 've been looking thru them and just didnt see where there was any listing for heavy weapons. Good to know I've been missing something.

Allen

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 02:39:02 PM »
OK, here's where I'm at right now and still need some help to flush out my prep for a sci-fi/cyberpunk(ish) game I'm hoping to run soon.
I need charts for the following caliburs, so if anyone can point me in the right direct I'd be very greatful.

13.5mm
15mm
20mm Latai
30mm Arnar
20mm, 30mm and 40mm grenades
30mm, 45mm and 65mm rockets

my 'firearms catalog' is a bit of a cusotm work, and converting how damage is done to ICE/D100 has gone well thus far. We used to use a fairly complex combat system for how and how much damage was done and we had data for everything from a .22 to Bofors cannon and beyond. Sadly, I'm not finding anything that will help here for the above rounds. Dont get me started on the customer projectiles we had come up with! heh

so again I ask, is there something out there, preferably ICE, that you would suggest I take a look at? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Allen

or

Offline vytzka

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Lithuanian Psycho
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 03:32:43 PM »
Some ideas you can use:

While I'm by far not an expert on firearms, I believe that the high end .50 cal sniper weapons, represented by top tier Weapon Law: Firearms tables, might be using a larger bullet and/or more powerful propellant charge than, say, a machinegun of the same caliber. Thus (if that's the case) those tables could be used to represent larger calibers, perhaps up to 20 or 25 milimeters.

The old Outlaw campaign book for Rolemaster (set in the Wild West) contained a Gun attack table which IIRC encompassed such large caliber stuff like Gatling guns and smaller cannons. It was, however, a single table with different max damage thresholds depending on weapon size, and thus much coarser and less detailed than the intricate table progressions of Blaster Law or WL:F.

Consider also "uglying up" the tables by substituting deadlier criticals instead of standard ones to raise the damage done by a weapon, like using Ballistic Shrapnel instead of Ballistic Puncture (though that might be better used to represent special ammo types). You should also make large caliber weapons do secondary or tertiary criticals like Impact, Ballistic Impact or Unbalance.

As for grenade and missile launchers, either use deviation table in Vehicle Manual or resolve the attack on a suitably nasty table and if you cause a critical (i.e. hit) cause a secondary attack on a Grenade table (Equipment manual, I believe), with the damage threshold depending on projectile mass.
"Traveller fans don't like Traveller so it's very hard to please them.  Oh they may like a specific race or a specific time period, or a specific rule set except for 25% of the pages determined randomly by rolling 2d6 and trying to read them as percentiles. "
 - David Johansen

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 04:28:05 PM »
well I'm about 95% done... just gotta rescan some images and then, viola! it's done. thanks to all for the help. much gras. :)

or