Author Topic: Companion professions. Which were good?  (Read 6469 times)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Companion professions. Which were good?
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 02:18:34 PM »
I see your favored profession is Necromancer, as you have raised an 8-year-old thread from beyond the grave....
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 02:22:30 PM »
I see your favored profession is Necromancer, as you have raised an 8-year-old thread from beyond the grave....

Note to self - use caution reading jdale's posts or do not drink coffee when doing so.  Cleaning the monitor was a pain.

-BP

Offline Elf-Mage

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 02:33:33 PM »
I don't mind replying to old posts, as people can provide new insight.

On another note, I've never tried a Necromancer. Want to though...
You know you've screwed up a summoning spell when you summon a Stingray on your enemies. It takes a deliberate act to summon a Humpback Whale on top of them.

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »
I found the most interesting ones to be:
Crystal Mage (nice attacks, buffs, information gathering)
Enchanter (second best at illusions, Great Commands list!)
Taro Mage (Sword, Cup, Pentacle, Staves, and a bunch of pets from the cards)
Dervish (incredible martial artist, MA buff list, teleport list, information list, charm/controlling list, haste movements list)

Mal

Offline MrApollinax

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 12:21:01 PM »
I very seldom got to play - I was/still am the GM - but enjoyed my brief stints playing Montebanc and Sleuth. From a GMing/campaign point of view, I enjoyed the Evil Alchemist (bane of party magic items), Theocratist, Archmage, Wizard, Macabre, Magus, Gypsy, Shamanic Alchemist, Elementalist (RMC7) and Witch. All these made for good villains/allies/pivotal story figures.

Author, HARP Garden of Rain.
Tales of the New Kingdoms (blog)

Offline Elf-Mage

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 03:04:37 PM »
One character I'm playing at the moment is a Shaman. She's fairly good at healing, as she is a Channelling user, as well as Shamans get some Animist Base Lists as their own (I'm looking at you, Herb Mastery...). Shamans also get similar spells to Seers, so trying to find stuff out is quite easy with a Dream Vision Spell.

But my shaman's main ability is her Spirits, as She is more of a Kami Priestess than anything else (The game my GM is currently running is a High Fantasy/Wuxia type game, so it's heavily oriental). She also has awesome meditation abilities.

I've never run a game properly, but my group's GM has been doing this for over thirty years, and has gone through all the professions. There are only 1 or 2 that He won't let people play, as they don't fit the campaign styles, as one of them is an oriental, and one is a traditional high fantasy.

That being said, I've been through all of the rules, and found some truly strange professions, but I don't feel that any of them are too OP for a game. It's just a matter of Setting, and Character Development.
You know you've screwed up a summoning spell when you summon a Stingray on your enemies. It takes a deliberate act to summon a Humpback Whale on top of them.

Offline MrApollinax

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 08:22:49 PM »
yes, I always found the Shaman a very versatile profession, particularly (but not necessarily) with judicious use of Background Options - and the apprenticing rules from the Arms Companion: one NPC/travelling companion I used briefly Apprenticed as a Bashkar (i.e. adolescence DP costs as Bashkar, Shaman thereafter). When the Spirits chose, she would Frenzy into a Spirit-driven fury. Otherwise she was very mild, contemplative and gentle.
Author, HARP Garden of Rain.
Tales of the New Kingdoms (blog)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 02:14:39 AM »
Well, that was one of the great things about RM2-- that tremendous range of professions. Ones that I though were crap turned out to be someone else's treasure, or fit perfectly into their world and playstyle.

Personally, I loved the High Warrior Monk, Warrior Mage, Necromancer, Druid, and Archmage. I also liked the Noble Warrior, and thought the Forcemage and Magus were both quite powerful. But we played combat-heavy games.

I guess we should also remember that the Paladin was a Companion class as well. They were a bit wonky and didn't really seem to live up to their name because it was very hard for them to wear armor, since they were channeling users; but I think there was a later alternate rule in a later companion that allowed them to wear metal, and that was the rule we used.

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 07:53:28 AM »

Note to self - use caution reading jdale's posts or do not drink coffee when doing so.  Cleaning the monitor was a pain.

-BP

OMG, you are so right!  I almost spit my food out. 

Darn you JDale!!!
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!